North Cyprus Tourist Board - Was Port Cyprium a hoax?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Was Port Cyprium a hoax?

Was Port Cyprium a hoax?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Port Cyprium Marina

» See all marina related threads in North Cyprus

» Read Port Cyprium Village property review

northcyprus74

Message Posted:
02/02/2012 22:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 14 in Discussion

Whatever happend to port cyprium marina? I have also noticed the unwins site of modern villa opposite has stopped and left half built, any reasons why?

Tellis

Message Posted:
02/02/2012 22:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 14 in Discussion

This will be interesting!

it was never going to happen

WAZ-24-7

Message Posted:
03/02/2012 01:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 14 in Discussion

They found antiquities around the development site and project stopped for investigation. The developer has secured lease of the shore side land from the government. Same developer has unfinnished villas on the hill behind the main road. Lack of finnance and investors probably assisted the failure. Perhaps it may get going again who knows?

Hippo

Message Posted:
03/02/2012 03:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 14 in Discussion

I think your posts are very unkind and in truth Tellis could be construed libelous. Altan Hussein has worked tirelessly despite government obstacles that have been put in his way to ensure this project comes to fruition.

Building a Marina is not a quick project to complete particularly with the sums of money that are involved (look how long Karpaz Gate took)

From what I understand is that virtually all the paperwork is now in place, the supply of stone for the breakwater has been agreed.

Projects like this need encouragement not scepticism.

the butler

Message Posted:
03/02/2012 08:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 14 in Discussion

I agree with Hippo that developments like this take a long time to get off the ground especially here in the TRNC, there has been obstacles which have now been overcome. Lets hope this project starts soon, as it will benefit the immediate areas of Bachelli and Esentepe. Once built this marina will attract new investment and hopefully all the half finished villas will be completed. There is to much pessimism and not enough obtimism on this site, which is putting off buyers. There are certain posters who do nothing but knock this country and tell people not to buy here but they are the very ones who complain about all the half finished properties, do they not see that their is a link. It is alright blaming the government, estate agents, lawyers etc., builders but some expats are adding to the problem.

I for one look forward to the marina and wish Altan Hussein the best of luck in realising his dream.

northcyprus74

Message Posted:
03/02/2012 11:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 14 in Discussion

I heard the whole thing went to court! Also that people who brought from the unwin site are currently in dispute with the land owner ad developer. this is the site right next to the port cyprium marina very modern style villas.

can anyone verify this?

eager

Message Posted:
03/02/2012 12:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 14 in Discussion

Maybe Tommy knows

TimothyCadman

Message Posted:
03/02/2012 12:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 14 in Discussion

Unwins are NOT developers. They are Estate Agents! They SELL houses, not build them. Just because they had an exclusive deal with the developer it doesn't make them liable if/when things go wrong that the developer can't complete as per the contract.

Bradus

Message Posted:
03/02/2012 13:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 14 in Discussion

I certainly hope that the Marina does get built, it will improve the environment and generate business and jobs for the locals. However I certainly would not buy property on the strength of this future development as its been a long time coming and if the developer is struggling to complete a few villas then perhaps a marina is a little too adventurous?

The last I heard from someone that was looking to invest in this development was that it was a real struggle to get the financial backing needed and get enough people on board to see the project through. As Butler rightly says there are enough empty shells (not due to people broadcasting their sad buying experiences but due to poor business management by developers or their fraudulent behaviour) so it makes sense to withhold starting any project until the necessary finances are securely in place.

The last thing needed is another white elephant and blot on the landscape. Quality not timescales are the important factor.

girne 29

Message Posted:
04/02/2012 13:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 14 in Discussion

According to my reckoning, we should have 83supermarinas in use in NC according to the 'new marina planned' articles over the last 10 years.

Personally I think TRNC should invest more in waste disposal and litter education and beach cleanups which would be more benificial to the tourist industry than a marina that benifits a few stopovers.

Hippo

Message Posted:
04/02/2012 13:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 14 in Discussion

83 ????/

As someone who is involved with marina development here I think you over estimate.

Karpaz gate- completed nearly.

Girne - feasibility study carried out by Setur, plans drawn up, no progress

Port Cyprian- designed awaiting start

Famagusta - under discussion

Lapta plans drawn

Two further sites have been looked at but landownership a problem.

One further site -location at present confidential.

Hardly 83

You should not underestimate the value of Yacht tourism, it is a multi multi million industry. If you look at Marmaris you can plainly see the effect.

gates

Message Posted:
04/02/2012 15:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 14 in Discussion

hi remeber me you lucky lot you would all be paying me out now at 20/1 its a never never unless of course we get some life from another planet to dock space ships, think you are 20k better off than you would have been if i had took your bet . Told ya

WAZ-24-7

Message Posted:
04/02/2012 16:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 14 in Discussion

It is unfortunate that Altan has not suceeded in his aspirations for the Marina.

My view is that embargo, lack of recognition, ROC intervention, absence of confidence, insular attitudes of the administration, poor prospects and reliance upon Turkish handouts mean that most commercial projects are extremeny difficult to launch and have a very low prosect of success.

Of course if the obstacles against free enterprise were removed then the populus of the TRNC are just as enterprising as anywhere else.

Soon may the chains be removed!

reporting

Message Posted:
04/02/2012 16:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 14 in Discussion

It is unfortunate that Altan has not suceeded in his aspirations for the Marina.

My view is that the brown envelopes were not stuffed enough , lack of political donations and promises of votes were not enough .

He failed to get the unions on board to protect the jobs he would create and the pensions they would be entitled to. IMHO

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.