North Cyprus Tourist Board - Dogs Poisoned today Near Army Base
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Dogs Poisoned today Near Army Base

Dogs Poisoned today Near Army Base

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All Threads on Pets, Dogs, Cats, Animals and Kyrenia Animal Rescue (KAR)

» Read about Bringing Your Pet to North Cyprus

» KAR Official Website - www.kyreniaanimalrescue.org

Amber

Message Posted:
04/02/2012 18:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 30 in Discussion

Please all dog owners and walkers be aware. 2 dogs were poisoned this morning whilst out walking at the beach near to the Army Camp on the Lapta Karsiyaka border.

Vet advised that the poison was Lanate (think I have spelt this correctly) and was put in chicken.

joandjelly

Message Posted:
04/02/2012 18:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 30 in Discussion

Can you please be a bit more specific about the location as I live very close to the Karsiyaka/Lapta border but am not aware of an Army camp near there.

MiketheBike

Message Posted:
04/02/2012 18:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 30 in Discussion

Would this be the same disused army camp where dog walkers were recently warned by the police and belediyesi not to take their dogs following a complaint made about two dogs attacking and killing a cat! There is also a shepherd who grazes his sheep on this land. Did the dogs survive, hope so, we used to take our dogs there but have not done so since the warnings posted on this site. I wonder if this was reported to the police and if so will they bother to investigate it and apprehend the culprits, doubt that very much!

spider

Message Posted:
04/02/2012 19:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 30 in Discussion

This makes me so very angry. Ahhhh.

Please be more specific as to where this happened,and what part of the Army camp :(

Has anyone been back to pick the chicken up and maybe take it to the Belediyesi. If not please bring it to me and I will take it up there. Ahhh.

Spider,X

JaneG

Message Posted:
05/02/2012 07:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 30 in Discussion

I have been told that the poison was put in chicken and laid around the broken perimeter fence - where cars are parked.

Barno

Message Posted:
05/02/2012 20:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 30 in Discussion

What sort of person does this!!!! there are no strays down there just us dog owners trying to give our dogs a bit of freedom, not tying them up with rope and chains and keeping them in cages!!!! What harm are we doing apart from possibly upsetting the residents in the road that leads to the base with cars going down THEIR road?

Mesage 3 - Can anyone confirm that the police actually spoke to them and warned them about using the base or was it just a random post on here? I have seen the police down there a few times and they are normally checking the Anglers out not us. I am Sick of people threatening the life of our dogs, the suffering they go through when poisoned and they suffer because we as owners are frightened to take them anywhere for fear of this deathly act. If people have a problem with us dog walkers, then confront us dont kill our innocent dogs, we will listen and make lives easier if that is what it takes.........

spider

Message Posted:
05/02/2012 21:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 30 in Discussion

Barno thanks for you post. This so angers me !

Vic went this morning without the dogs to walk around. He saw a lot of dead birds. This is how we lost our Gemma because she picked up a poisoned bird. He removed these birds but there could be more, the foxes too. Please all take bags with you on a walk without your dogs,we must try and keep this place safe.

apparently is was down nr the two little bays on the left before the camp.

Maybe a group of us should get together and go together to see the belediyesi and ask for a list of places they are putting this down. They need to understand to that a child could be next. Happy to do this if any member would like to be involved please feel free to email and we could meet at the coffee shop.

This need to stop and we need to fight this together. JMHO.

mariavic@live.com

MrandMrsSpider, X

aerhere

Message Posted:
06/02/2012 08:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 30 in Discussion

Did these poor dogs survive? I do hope so. This is a popular place for people to take their dogs..... which makes them easy targets for this type of action. This post will also bring this' back to the top' just in case anyone who goes there has missed this thread.

Amber

Message Posted:
06/02/2012 11:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 30 in Discussion

The 2 dogs have survived although one is very very poorly and been on a drip now for 3 days since it happened.

I dont think it has been reported to the Police but I will get my Friends to do this as they know the exact location it happened. Bet the Police will do nothing about it though.

To see a much loved family pet or any animal suffering as these 2 darlings have is just awful. This is just barbaric. It was Lanate that was used and the Vet said this is legal !!!!

Please be so careful as spring approaches sure there will be more cases of poisioning.

davpat

Message Posted:
06/02/2012 11:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 30 in Discussion

Spider,message 7,if I was in Cyprus I would be right by your side,unfortunately I'm in the UK,mores the pity,its barbaric and totally unacceptable.

David

JaneG

Message Posted:
06/02/2012 12:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 30 in Discussion

A friend has been to the Karsiyaka office this morning to ask if the beledeyisi are laying down poison. She was told no - and they haven't done so for a very long time. It appears that they are aware of what is happening in the area. It seems that it is an individual carrying out the poisoning.

berkeh2001

Message Posted:
06/02/2012 12:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 30 in Discussion

re msg 11

just to clarify your friend spoke to me at the karsıyaka office which i am here for today and the belediye has NEVER put any poison down to harm any kind of animals

JaneG

Message Posted:
06/02/2012 12:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 30 in Discussion

Re message 12. Thank you for confirming that the Belediye haven't ever put down poison.

bigOz

Message Posted:
06/02/2012 12:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 30 in Discussion

Probably someone was upset about dogs wandering into their garden or scaring their children. Keep your dogs on a leash is what I would suggest. In terms of priority, most Cypriots do believe that the right of way and enjoying nature is first for humans and then for pets. I know of many TCs complaining about dog excrement along paths to their homes or in popular walking areas. One friend was furious, when he came out of the sea (Alagadi beach) screaming in horror and pointing out to a huge lump of dog shite floating not so far in!

The way I see it, English people who come to live in Cyprus and insist on having dogs as pets must realise, the locals are not so interested in having dogs filling up their space. Some of these people may do what they can to rid the place of such intrusions. Hence, keep a dog within your house's perimeter and when out make sure they are leashed OR face the probability of becoming yet another member who has lost or had a dog poisoned, posting in this forum.

Bertie

Message Posted:
06/02/2012 13:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 30 in Discussion

whilst I totally understand people of all nationalities objecting to dog poo eveywhere have you looked at the mess on all beaches here, discarded rubbish, broken bottles, builders waste I could go on, in this particulare area recently there is enough broken glass from effes bottles to start a reycling plant should we put poison down for the people who leave that mess

suzi1951

Message Posted:
06/02/2012 14:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 30 in Discussion

Well said Bertie msg14. I totally agree about the mess on the beaches, especially after the Sunday family days out.

bigOz

Message Posted:
06/02/2012 14:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 30 in Discussion

Where the nationality of the culprits concerning the mess mentioned above is open to argument (I have witnessed many teenage foreigners contribute to it) the TCs never had such a "mess" before the foreign legions moved in!

As for the anology, since there is so much street violence in Europe, would you suggest people should start going round shooting each other

trooper

Message Posted:
06/02/2012 14:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 30 in Discussion

msge 17; cloud cuckoo land comes to mind. I was here in Cyprus in 1960 - long before the 'foreign legion' moved in and the whole island was a s... house then. The south seems to have learned about litter but sadly the trnc lags about fifty light years behind. Denial comes to mind.

JKSLapta

Message Posted:
06/02/2012 16:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 30 in Discussion

I can understand how people get annoyed by dog excrement on the paths etc, but how do you differentiate between dog cr*p from English/Cypriot pet owners and all the strays that are wandering around?! Even if everyone picked up after their dogs, there would still be dog poo because of the number of strays. For people to complain about people walking their dogs etc (rather than keeping them shut in cages or gardens all day) is a bit rich & posioning is certainly not the answer. Maybe if some of these people actually neutered their dogs and the Belediyesi actually enforced the dog licensing rules for ALL then perhaps there would be less strays about and also less excrement. It is disgusting that pet owners cannot safely walk their pets and I'm sorry to hear about the 2 terriers.

We have an area of land attached to the bar that I spoke to Daren about with the idea of fencing in and using as a dog exercising area, but I'm not sure its large enough. It would be lovely if... cont'd

JKSLapta

Message Posted:
06/02/2012 16:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 30 in Discussion

there was an area of land that was donated so that it could be used as a dog park, where people could safely exercise their animals without it affecting anyone else. Unfortunately I cannot see that happening here, which is a shame.

Nannykathleen

Message Posted:
06/02/2012 21:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 30 in Discussion

I frequently come across human poo on the beaches, in the sea and the countryside. The english certainly are not responsible for that.

Barno

Message Posted:
07/02/2012 06:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 30 in Discussion

JKSlapta. I totally agree with you! I would pay to exercise my dogs if anyone is willing to open up a safe environment for us, my neighbours said they would too......

Reading all the comments here I can see everyones point of view but the issue is these poisonings are not controlled and you are not only killing dogs but birds, foxes and possibly your neighbours cats!

like i said in my post earlier if someone has an issue with dog owners using an area then tell us what we can do to make life easier for you, what is the issue?

BoTanica

Message Posted:
07/02/2012 11:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 30 in Discussion

I would also be willing to pay to excercise my dog in a clean safe area. It my case though, it would have to be fenced - I honestly don't know if she would be away with fairies given the chance, as she has never been off leash in public.

Barking

Message Posted:
07/02/2012 11:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 30 in Discussion

Where do they get / buy the poison ?

JKSLapta

Message Posted:
07/02/2012 12:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 30 in Discussion

It's available in quite a few places, there are shops in Alsancak that sell it. It's a ridiculous situation..

charlotte55

Message Posted:
20/02/2012 15:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 30 in Discussion

Hope the dogs are okay now.

Has anyone been down there since this?

C

blade

Message Posted:
20/02/2012 17:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 30 in Discussion

Maybe next time everyone visits the chemists, ask for lanate? See if they sell it, if they do boycot and name and shame them. If we can't catch the cuprit , we can stop funding those that sell it! Nothing will change until we make a stand.

When walking your dog, put it on a lead, make sure the collar is also secure and well fitting. If your dog is the type that scourers the floor then put a muzzel on it. Pick up your dog poo, don't give people reason to hate you and your dog.

Day in day out dogs dying because of poison. You are the owner, make sure your dog is SAFE!

Avci81

Message Posted:
20/02/2012 22:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 30 in Discussion

Im so sorry about your dogs, my girl was poisoned 10/1/2012 and it was HORRIBLE watching her suffer....she didnt make it through.

Like many others say be careful.....VERY careful as they really dont care about their actions.

Glad ur dogs made it through but i feel their pain.......No dog or any other animal should have to suffer that pain.

spider

Message Posted:
20/02/2012 22:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 30 in Discussion

Our little Gemma was poisoned its a terrible way to go and horrendous to see. She picked up a bird that had been poisoned a few years now. :( My Vic went town to the Army base the next day without the dogs he saw lots of dead birds too and removed them.

If we boycot where they sell this Lanate I do not think it will stop the people who want to buy it buy it ! JMHO but worth a try. We will start asking around but will also ask why the costumers buy this.It might be interesting to see what they say.

Spider,X

We still walk the dogs down there but way the other side. Please dear God no more.

bazzagirl

Message Posted:
21/02/2012 08:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 30 in Discussion

whatever, you do not go out and poison animals its disgraceful, i could never again live in such an uncivilised country, here i walk my dogs in the park next door to me, on the beach down the road, no worries, we have a great time. How can any one poison anything what a hideous way to die,shame these people should be put in jail, one day a child will be killed, absolutely no need for this in the 21st century whatever you say. KILLING poor defenceless creatures, what a backward primitive country it is?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.