North Cyprus Tourist Board - Repairs....1 washing machine & 1 laptop
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Repairs....1 washing machine & 1 laptop

Repairs....1 washing machine & 1 laptop

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See all Do It Yourself (DIY) threads posted so far

macman

Message Posted:
15/12/2008 18:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 5 in Discussion

Hi

We are in desperate need of someone who can do washing machine repairs for a Hotpoint. The 'silent spin' feature has turned in to an extremely noisy spin! Machine is almost 3 years old.

Also, any recommendations for laptop repairs. We have a problem with one of our laptops that has stopped detecting our wireless network. Have checked settings in Windows (Vista) and all the network settings look fine. Not sure if it may be a problem with the wireless adapter. Our other laptop is detecting the wireless settings ok, so it is not likely to be the router.

Recommendations would be much appreciated.

keithcaley

Message Posted:
15/12/2008 19:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 5 in Discussion

Hi,

I think Tektan do white goods repair, they are in the middle of Girne, down the road alongside Socrates Hotel, but just for your information, it sounds like either the drum bearings are going (usually because the water seals have gone, and allowed the bearings to rust - characterised by brown/yellow staining on the washing - and making a harsh, grating noise as it rotates, but easy to fix) OR the drum has gone out of balance (makes a thumping noise as it goes round), possibly due to overloading, or the loss of a stabilising weight (lump of concrete!) which could be a lot more expensive if the shaft has bent...

Your profile doesn't say where you are, but for the laptop, Laconic computers are very reasonable in my experience, situated on the 'Girne ring road' between the Pia Bella roundabout and the Lefkosia roundabout, and also in Alsancak on the main road, just past Green Petrol, heading towards Lapta.

Best regards,

Keith.

Harold2555

Message Posted:
15/12/2008 19:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 5 in Discussion

macman

Please don't be insulted if my own stupidity isn't universal but I who considers himself to be more than averagely computer literate (I have built machines and installed large networks) have twice spent ages trying to fix wireless laptops before realising that the little switch turning the wireless function on and off was in the off position!

Just a thought

Paul

keithcaley

Message Posted:
15/12/2008 20:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 5 in Discussion

Paul,

You and me both!

Keith.

macman

Message Posted:
15/12/2008 22:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 5 in Discussion

Hi Keith and Paul - thanks for your replies.

Will check out with Tektan re. washing machine & fingers crossed it's fixable at a reasonable cost. It is a large drum model designed to take a 7kg load & has a 1600 spin cycle. Chances are it may have been overloaded at some stage. There is a grey powdery residue on the floor under the machine so we did take the top cover off to see if the stabilising weight was damaged, but it appears to be secure and intact. However the drum does seem to be swinging about a lot.

Regarding the laptop switch - yes I did remember to check after my 12 year old daughter reminded me after 2 hours of cursing Microsoft / Windows / Bill Gates & computers in general ! However after flicking the switch on and restarting the computer for the 10th time, still no wireless detection. Will call in to Laconic in Alsancak tomorrow and see if they can help.

Many thanks once again.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.