North Cyprus Tourist Board - Why are we paying top dollar for ISP's
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Why are we paying top dollar for ISP's

Why are we paying top dollar for ISP's

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

Mindy

Message Posted:
15/12/2008 20:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 9 in Discussion

I pay 40 quid a month for internet and do not understand why it is so exorbitant, does anyone have the answer, It is available just 40 miles away (mainland Turkey) from 14 ytl a month so WHY ???????????? ANYONE!!!

tattlad

Message Posted:
16/12/2008 14:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 9 in Discussion

Thats a very good question, have you tried asking the ISP's in the TRNC why the prices are so high compared to mainland Turkey, could be that they have a captive audience, or if there is more than one service provider, they have put their heads together and fixed the price, I'm supprised no one has commented on this up to now, as there must be a fair few paying over the odds, I'll be re- locating out there soon, and will need internet service but I don't want to have my eyes taken out.

Groucho

Message Posted:
16/12/2008 14:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 9 in Discussion

Why has this been made a sticky?

Just curious to know the process and procedure....

Izzet Note: I hope to explain this for the last time. I make posts sticky if I like them. It is a manual process and I hope to write the property code so any moderator can make any thread sticky.

Harlequin

Message Posted:
16/12/2008 15:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 9 in Discussion

One issue is, of course, that the market is so small.

The population of the country is just 265,000 or thereabouts. The whole country is smaller than, say, Norwich. Set up and fixed costs for an internet provider are the same whether your potential market is 5 million or a quarter million. These costs have to be recovered from the users.

Aussie

Message Posted:
16/12/2008 15:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 9 in Discussion

Harlequin raises a valid point.

I think another problem is having many providers seperately rolling out base stations etc rather than sharing duplicating infrastructure and raising costs. Of course the restricted availability of the landlines has also prevented ADSL from being universally available.

Another point is I believe they all have to buy bandwidth off Turkish providers as well which probably isn't cheap.

I always thought Turkcell should have been in a position to roll out a network some time ago but has only just started with the new 3 G network and coverage is patchy in many areas. Given its infrastructure and resources you would think in the long run it would be able to offer substantially cheaper internet services than its smaller competitors.

You would think over time internet access would get cheaper and I guess the devaluation of the pound has made it a bit cheaper compared to YTL and Euro charging providers.

Aussie

AndyP

Message Posted:
16/12/2008 16:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 9 in Discussion

The reason you pay so much for an internet connection is because the government fixed the prices, which had started to fall and at one time we had a bit off competition between companies. But, being the TRNC, we cannot have competitors, which would give good prices and better service, so they stopped it in it's tracks.

Who making all the money from price fixing??

The government!!!!!

PtePike

Message Posted:
16/12/2008 21:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 9 in Discussion

More than one post suggesting politicians may know something about this have been removed without explanation.

Is Turkey controlling this BB, I wonder...

Groucho

Message Posted:
16/12/2008 21:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 9 in Discussion

Well they are hardly making the country rich with the revenue as we keep being told they are bankrupt and they've got to raise it somehow...

some people pay a lot for satellite TV... I don't mind paying for the Wireless Internet...

Izzet thanks for the explanation I just wondered if people can request a sticky of you or is it just your choice... was my question. I see now that it's ones you find worthy of remaining at the top...

Coachie

Message Posted:
16/12/2008 23:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 9 in Discussion

Blimey thats expensive ..I get internet,tv,and unlimited phone use off Virgin here in the uk...

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.