North Cyprus Tourist Board - Schools fees state school??
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Schools fees state school??

Schools fees state school??

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All North Cyprus Schools Posts

terryW.H.F.C

Message Posted:
16/12/2008 22:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 12 in Discussion

could any one tell me if there is a good state school in or around lapta for my 3 boys aged 10,9 & 4 and are there any fees to be paid if so how much????

TimothyCadman

Message Posted:
17/12/2008 01:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 12 in Discussion

There are state schools that once you have residency your children can be enrolled into.

There are no fees.....but........

The schools main language is Turkish. English is taught as a secondary language, in the same way we used to learn French, Spanish or German at school.

Your children will be held back 1 or 2 until they have mastered being taught in Turkish. The 4 year old should be the quickest learner and may well just join the class and pick the language up from the other children and the teachers as part of learning. The 9 and 10 years olds will take a year to become proficient due to their already high level of English.

For your older kids to learn Turkish, so must you. They must practice. Amongst themselves they won't practice and so learning will be so much slower. You will also want to know taht they aren't cursing you in Turkish when you tell them off. Children can use the language to get "one over" on their parents!

authentichoccie

Message Posted:
17/12/2008 09:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 12 in Discussion

My Kids go to state schools, it is true they are put back a year but bear in mind that they start school a year later here anyway.

Once they are at high school if they fail (and this goes for local kids also) the year they have to do it again! Personally I don't think this does them any harm.

They will pick up the language much quicker being at state school as all their friends will be speaking to them in Turkish.

And yes make sure you yourself learn a few of the more 'colourful' words so you know when the kids are swearing at each other!!!

I feel proud when I hear my kids chatting away in Turkish, although my eldest son sometimes forgets what the word is in english!!!!

BTW I heard a rumour that Sunny Lane has been sold to GAU???

Probably another typical cyprus whisper!

terryW.H.F.C

Message Posted:
17/12/2008 09:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 12 in Discussion

thank you all the replys i was looking for.

dolphin

Message Posted:
17/12/2008 10:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 12 in Discussion

MY KIDS GO TO CATALKOY SCHOOL, IT IS GREAT. JUST ENROLLED A 9 YEAR OLD WITH NO TURKISH AND THE HEAD MASTER WOULD NOT PUT HIM DOWN A YEARŞ THE LAD IS HAPPY AS FOOTBALL - THE INTERNATIONAL LANGUAGE - HAS HELPED HIM INTERGRATE!

mishmash

Message Posted:
17/12/2008 22:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 12 in Discussion

authentichoccie is there any truth in that rumour re SLS?

britvic

Message Posted:
17/12/2008 23:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 12 in Discussion

It's always a good idea for your children to learn the language of the country they live in.

My sister-in-law moved to Norway when her children were 12 and 14, not ideal ages, but they now speak fluent Norwegien (spell checker please) and they are 18 and 20.

Vicki

authentichoccie

Message Posted:
18/12/2008 09:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 12 in Discussion

Mishmash, of course i heard it from my neighbours, uncles, milkmans, dentist!!

Seriously though I don't think there are any reliable sources in Cyprus!

I was told that GAU were going to use it for younger kids but all secondary education would move to GAU campus.

Groucho

Message Posted:
18/12/2008 10:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 12 in Discussion

Authenic,

"BTW I heard a rumour that Sunny Lane has been sold to GAU? Probably another typical cyprus whisper!"

Funny thing is... nearly all these malicious rumours seem to be started by disgruntled ex-pats (so not really a Cyprus whisper at all) who do it out of pure badness... In the case of Sunny Lane, most of them with no connection to the school whatsoever... maybe sour grapes if their child was refused a place for failing to pass muster, as they do have entry requirements these days...

The good thing about it is the School team seem to have a sense of humour about it...

Although I'm a great believer in freedom of speech I'm not so sure I support peoples' right to make up lies just to cause controversy... as that's not expressing an opinion it's just fabrication for bad reasons... it is not a force for good..

So come clean where did you here this whisper? I'll warrant, not from someone prepared to put up...

authentichoccie

Message Posted:
18/12/2008 11:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 12 in Discussion

Groucho I am not a disgruntled Ex-pat!

I did say it was just a whisper and I for one always take everything i hear here with a pinch of salt!

I agree there are always rumours going around about a number of things, I was just mentioning something I heard recently (from the brother of a teacher!)

Really I just mentioned to get you all going!!! LOL!!

mishmash

Message Posted:
18/12/2008 15:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 12 in Discussion

thanks authentichoccie reply much appreciated

Groucho

Message Posted:
18/12/2008 15:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 12 in Discussion

Authenic,

I didn't say you started the rumour... I was just commenting on a trend in general..

For example, some parents with kids at GAU seem to have felt the need to bad-mouth Sunny Lane in the past... why is that? I've never seen a post by Sunny Lane parents putting down GAU even though we have heard plenty of things.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.