North Cyprus Tourist Board - historians north cyprus
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > historians north cyprus

historians north cyprus

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

istuart

Message Posted:
15/02/2012 20:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 17 in Discussion

Can anyone send me a list of historians that have written about the troubles? My daughter is doing an historical enquiry into this as part of her history a level. Unfortunatley she has only been able to find historians with a Greek Cypriot view point that don't take into account any of the Turkish perspective.

Thank you

rowlo

Message Posted:
15/02/2012 20:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 17 in Discussion

get in touch with dutchcrusader he knows a lot , he is on board right now .

istuart

Message Posted:
15/02/2012 20:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 17 in Discussion

thanks rowlo, will do.

istuart

Message Posted:
16/02/2012 13:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 17 in Discussion

is there nobody in trnc that knows of, or as heard of, a historian that has written about, the division of cyprus

SWCathy

Message Posted:
16/02/2012 13:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 17 in Discussion

Read the books:

"Trapped in the Green Line" The story behind the documentary Voice of Blood

Written by Greek Cypriot Tony Angastiniotis

"Death of a Friendship" A Cyprus Memoir by Turkan Aziz MBE

"The Cyprus Problem - What it is - How can it be solved? by Rauf R Denktas

"Forgotten Greek Plans for Ethnic Cleansing" by Korkmaz Haktanir

"Genoside Files"

"Cyprus 1963-64 - The Fateful Years' by Aytug Plumer

to name a few.

SWCathy

Message Posted:
16/02/2012 13:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 17 in Discussion

Trapped in the Green Line

is written by a Greek Cypriot who came north to visit his former home and the revelations in this book are astounding - Especially coming from a Greek Cypriot.

On revisiting his home in Famagusta after 30 years, having left at the age of 8, he stood outside wondering what to do. He decided to knock on the door and he was let into the house by an old lady. When he entered, he saw his father's diplomas all still hanging on the walls. His father was a doctor. When he asked why they were still there, the lady responded by telling him that it was not her home, her home was in Paphos, this was the home of the person the diplomas belong to.

This is a must read book as the Greek Cypriot Tony goes on a journey to find out what happened. Many Greek and Turkish Cypriots should read this book. There is also a dvd of the interview Voice of Blood, which is apparently on YouTube, but I have not been able to see or get a copy of that.

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
16/02/2012 13:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 17 in Discussion

The following site may be of value.

http://www.turkishcoalition.org/issues-information/recommended-reading-92.htm

One historian that you may want to try and contact via the publishers K,Rustem and Bro Lefkosa is Ahmet C. Gazioglu

AJ

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
16/02/2012 13:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 17 in Discussion

Msg 7, AJ, follow-up: Mr. Ahmet C. Gazioğlu (author of the recommended book "The Turks in Cyprus") can be contacted via this email address: gazioglu@kktc.net .

Geejay

Message Posted:
16/02/2012 14:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 17 in Discussion

I would recommend "Attempted Genocide & Ethnic Cleansing in Cyprus" by Michael Stephen, The Genocide Files by Harry Scott gibbons, Archbishop Chrysostomes address to a European Seminar on 14/04/10, Archbishop Makarious address to the UN 19th. July 1974, Complaint by George Psyludes on the draft UN report 10/08/11, The PSEKA ("International Coordinating Committee Justice for Cyprus") advertisement in the N.Y Times.

And lastly Wikipedia, especially the article on the Edka, Maratha, Santalaris & Aloda massacre.

Bradus

Message Posted:
16/02/2012 14:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 17 in Discussion

If your son is studying at A Level he obviously needs to present an unbiased and factual account of the history of Cyprus. For this reason I would suggest he stays away from GC and TC Government sponsored publications(and there are hundreds). They tend to blame the other side and have a very vivid memory of what happened to them whilst ignoring that atrocities were committed by BOTH sides.

A Modern History of Cyprus by William Mallinson gives good insight into American and British involvement in the islands affairs and how Cold War Politics have contributed to the division of the island. For lighter reading I suggest he reads the History Chapter within the Rough Guide to Cyprus. This, although giving a brief but unbiased account of the history, will provide an emotional slant and insight into the consequences of the invasion.Tell him to read Kufi Birinci's story.

Brendan O'Mally, "The Cyprus Conspiracy" is heavy reading but very informative.

brother

Message Posted:
16/02/2012 14:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 17 in Discussion

I have no wish to go off-topic and do please let me know if what I write here is not relevant - it is kind of linked to the notion of a historical time-line.

Anyway, I sometimes wonder, especially when someone wants to write down a time-line on Cyprus starting from the unrest under colonial rule, at what point does bias come in when describing the major incidents.

For example, how much of the following "touch points" would be (and why) biased when written by an ex TC or a current TC:

1. There is increasing frustration under British rule.

2. GC based militia commit terrorism acts against British soldiers.

3. TC militia and GC militia start armed attacks against each other

4. British agreement to allow the island become a republic under shared government between TC and GC

5. Minority TC village inhabitants are attacked by GCs

6. GC part of government marginalizes the TC part of government

7. Inter-communal violence increases

8. GC Militia backed coup

9. Intervention by

dublinderm

Message Posted:
16/02/2012 14:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 17 in Discussion

Hi,

I found this book to be one of the most balanced on the Cyprus question. It is not on sale in South Cyprus and I could only get it at Cessac Beach.

Hostage to History: Cyprus from the Ottomans to Kissinger byChristopher Hitchens (Author).

DD

Bradus

Message Posted:
16/02/2012 15:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 17 in Discussion

Don't forget peoples first hand accounts too!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/witness/july/20/newsid_3880000/3880605.stm

ianwfs

Message Posted:
16/02/2012 16:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 17 in Discussion

Could I also suggest your daughter reads many of the online newspapers from the period. Some are free, and some are subscription. (Or if she's anywhere near Colindale she can see the "hard copies" or visit the web site for free). All the histories of the time have some sort of agenda, but she could get a lot of information from the contemporary newspapers.

As she is a student, her school my well have a subscription to The Times online.

ianwfs

Message Posted:
16/02/2012 17:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 17 in Discussion

Added.

As a taster for the newspaper report, have a look at this page from my web site, where I copy an article from The Daily Express dated August 1974.

http://whatson-northcyprus.com/interest/guzelyurt/panteleimon.htm

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
16/02/2012 17:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 17 in Discussion

@ msg 1, istuart: (...) Can anyone send me a list of historians that have written about the troubles? My daughter is doing an historical enquiry into this as part of her history a level. (...)

▶ Istuart, It is my opinion that "the troubles" can only be understood and put in the right historical context if your daughter starts her enquiry (long) before 1974 and even 1960. A decade before 1878 (end of the Ottoman rule of Cyprus) would be a fair start. Then make a big jump to the 1930/40/50's and so on.

P.S. I'm pleased to read that a young lady is interested in the subject!

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
16/02/2012 17:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 17 in Discussion

I concur with Hans

Cyprus history is long and complicated and she will need to pick a point in the Islands history from where she wishes to start but she should be warned that where ever she starts there will always be the need to delve further back into the past to clarify why certain situations have happened.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.