North Cyprus Tourist Board - Should An Independent TRNC Join The EU?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Should An Independent TRNC Join The EU?

Should An Independent TRNC Join The EU?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

Jovial_John

Message Posted:
16/02/2012 13:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 14 in Discussion

If the TRNC is recognised as an independent state, will it join the EU - or would it automatically be in the EU as it is now? From the TRNC's point of view I think this would be a mistake on several levels.

TRNC has its own employment policies which favour its nationals and EU membership would see an end to this. Similarly local companies would take a hit if EU giants move in - what chance Lemar against Tesco for example.

Ex-pats would gain a vote in at least local elections. Ex-pats already represent a significant %age of the population in some areas (e.g. Lapta) and after independence one might expect a considerable rise in that %age as newcomers take advantage of the low housing prices. This will seriously skew local politics even to the extent that locals may lose control of some areas.

The TRNC would be unable to bar Greek Cypriots (fellow EU members) from returning to live in the North and EU law would govern their claims to pre-74 property - a nightmare for all.

Geejay

Message Posted:
16/02/2012 14:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 14 in Discussion

Most unlikely that the TRNC will be politically recognised except as a region for EU development assistance. The Greeks and Greek Cypriots would veto EU accession just as they do now for anything likely to benefit the Turkish Cypriots.

If it were to happen then there would be transitional arrangement over many years, allowing it to change politically, economically and legally at an acceptable pace. For instance, in the southern 'Peoples Democracy', ex-pats have only just recently been allowed to register to vote, after some 7 years.

As to a return to previously owned property, some evidence as to ownership would be required. That applies to both Greek and Turkish Cypriots.

After all, when an exchange of populations was negotiated, where did the Greek Cypriots live ? They occupied Turkish Cypriot houses and built on their land just as the TC's did in the north.

An exchange of land where title can be established surely makes sense when there is such a large movement of populations.

Clarissa2

Message Posted:
16/02/2012 14:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 14 in Discussion

Re: Msg 1,

So the TCs should sit and wait until they will be annexed by Turkey: obviously more convenient for you.

davpat

Message Posted:
16/02/2012 15:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 14 in Discussion

We intend to retire in TRNC,not so if it joins the EU...............what a nightmare!!!!

Clarissa2

Message Posted:
16/02/2012 15:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 14 in Discussion

Re: Msg 4,

Yeah, I'm with you.

So perhaps it's a better option to stay in Manchester: Britain might leave the EU soon.

Or check out a real estate in Syria or Iran - nice and friendly places for you, and should be very cheap.

And no EU in sight with its nightmares...

Jovial_John

Message Posted:
16/02/2012 15:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 14 in Discussion

Message 3. What a stupid comment! I expressed no preference - why do you assume I don't want the EU. I post a subject in the hope of intelligent debate because the issue intrigues me and immediately somebody gets personal.

mozgor

Message Posted:
16/02/2012 16:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 14 in Discussion

We're moving over this year in October to live and from a personal point of view I would prefer that the north retained it's own identity as this is one of the reasons we chose the north over the south. In my opinion the south has been spoilt beyond recognition, I went to Limassol on holiday 3 consective years in the 80s and in that short space of time it changed so much and has continued to change. The GCs state that they are Greek, but that has been eroded so much with the big companies like Ikea, M & S satisfying a demand. I like the north the way it is with it's own supermarkets, shops and strong Turkish influence, so my preference would be that it doesn't join the EU in any event. However, that's a very selfish viewpoint and ultimately it has to be what the TCs want for the north not us expats as we are mere 'visitors'.

EricCrapton

Message Posted:
16/02/2012 17:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 14 in Discussion

Good God in heavens above, I hate politics and I rarely post on here but I must interject!

There is more chance of me becoming the next Pope than the TRNC being welcomed into the EU as an independant state. If anything it will eventually be made a province of Mersin, which in name it already is. (If the Turkish Prime Minister has anything to do with it)

mikelapta

Message Posted:
16/02/2012 18:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 14 in Discussion

4 or 5 years ago a respected neighbour and friend,a TC,suggested that they would get TRNC in the EEC.And after a few years,EEC would say"Look here is a Muslim country,they have behaved well,why shouldn't Turkey join?"

But I think the Turkish president is looking more to the Middle East to fulfil his dreams

I have crossed into the EEC country,Republic of Cyprus the last 4 weekends.I have seen Filipinas sleeping rough in doorways,others trying to sell vegetables etc on street corners,anything to make an extra Euro.We past a park,known as "Sri Lanka park",only Sri Lankans there,maybe a thousand of them.When you walk down Ledra Street,on the South side,I know it is the Filipinas usual day off on Sunday,but there again a thousand of them,plus a few hundred vietamese,and a few tens of Greek Cypriots.Now if the Greek economy sinks..as it will..what hope for all these other nationalities?NIMBY..keep TRNC out of EEC

yrret

Message Posted:
16/02/2012 18:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 14 in Discussion

Trouble could be that the politicians are both inexperienced enough and daft enough to join.

Result would be mass exodus of people to areas of higher minimum wage.

Main problem though could be expelling those that are not then allowed to stay in EU without visa's, ie mainlanders.

Won't happen.

canada

Message Posted:
16/02/2012 18:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 14 in Discussion

i cant see the trnc recognised as a country ,no oil /gas or anything else to offer to the big powers.

as for the EU .you think greece or cyprus (recognised part )would allow this to happen?

mikelapta

Message Posted:
16/02/2012 18:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 14 in Discussion

Loads of gas off shore........now the big powers are interested

Jovial_John

Message Posted:
16/02/2012 20:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 14 in Discussion

But all of Cyprus is already in the EU and the North gets funding from them - would they automatically be expelled if the government here was recognised? It might not be so straightforward.

philbailey

Message Posted:
16/02/2012 20:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 14 in Discussion

Msg13, I do not think a lot of people

are aware of that or care

most are only interested in their own agendas

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.