North Cyprus Tourist Board - Eye scaners ditched by uk airports
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Eye scaners ditched by uk airports

Eye scaners ditched by uk airports

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

wanderer

Message Posted:
17/02/2012 00:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 6 in Discussion

they were absolutely useless now they are to be binned

The were lauded as a new generation of security, a quicker way to get passengers through the gruelling process of getting off their plane and back home.

But just a few years after a £5million launch, Iris Recognition Immigration systems which were supposed to cut queues are being quietly scrapped.

They were meant to reduce arrival time at immigration to 12 seconds per person, but critics argue the scanners add to delays, rather than cutting queues, citing problems such as difficulty in lining up irises to the machines, and technology that was already basic at the time of launch.

Manchester and Birmingham airports have ditched the costly machines while at Heathrow and Gatwick North new passengers are not allowed to register to use the service.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2102076/Millions-drain-airports-SCRAP-iris-passport-scanners.html

yrret

Message Posted:
17/02/2012 06:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 6 in Discussion

Is this the same as the machines at STN?

I have used them a number of times, noting each time where I would have been in the other queue and rarely been quicker. A good concept, as they actually allow the shareholder of the country to get in with priority, an anusual concept these days.

You didn't have to register for the STN one though, just had to have a UK passport so they may be face recognision, not too sure.

MussyLapta

Message Posted:
17/02/2012 14:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 6 in Discussion

A huge waste of more money. They use these and fingerprinting in US aiports. By the time you get past the security with dogs and guns and bad attitude you wonder why on earth you chose it as a holiday destination

Tango1

Message Posted:
17/02/2012 14:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 6 in Discussion

At STN I thought they were absolutely brilliant. Last time we landed it was at the same time as about 4 other planes and the queuing was the worst I've seen. A shout went out for those with the correct type of Passport. 20 or perhaps 30 of us went forward, we happened to be 4 and 5 and went through in less than 8 mins. We reckoned we were back in Cambridge, having a large G & T before most of the people on our Ercan plane had reached the front of the Immigration queue. I'm sad they have been diched.

daisythedog

Message Posted:
17/02/2012 16:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 6 in Discussion

Not had a chance to use this UK system, but have found the PARAF fingerprint system at Paris CDG to be brilliant.

Nearly missed my flight one summer Saturday due to long,long line waiting to go through normal channels so when I next went back I registered for PARAF, took less than 5 minutes.

Now going in or out of CDG all I have to do is insert my passport into first machine, enter passage and then place anyone of 8 fingers on the reader and I'm through.

Tango1

Message Posted:
18/02/2012 17:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 6 in Discussion

I think STN ditching their system is very short-sighted (no pun intended) - not looking forward to endless queues next time. Do you think it had anything to do with Union Members suggesting they were going to be made reduntant??

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.