North Cyprus Tourist Board - wind blows, leaves block pool valves
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > wind blows, leaves block pool valves

wind blows, leaves block pool valves

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See all North Cyprus Swimming Pool threads posted so far

JohnWG

Message Posted:
18/02/2012 09:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 12 in Discussion

The wind blows and the leaves come down and soon the blossom will blow. Do you look after your own pool? If so you will be used to opening the check valves to remove blockage. If not watching the pool team doing it each week ( if you are lucky)

Blocked Check valves in overflow pools will allow pool water to flow back to the balance tank.

• Overflowing and loosing tons of water to waste

• Perhaps flooding pool room

• Damaged electrics, pump burnt out

This may be work for the pool companies but can be easily overcome by fitting a butterfly check valve. I used to remove leaves and blossom at least once a week. After fitting a butterfly I have not had to touch for two years.

Butterfly checks do not block. Beautifully engineered by the Australian company Waterco. Now in stock here in KK. I can email you brochure.

Yes, twice the price of the local valves but at £40 (63mm) could save you many many pounds

JohnWG 0532 340 2230 or 821 1066, Kemal 0542 850 7517

colly

Message Posted:
18/02/2012 10:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 12 in Discussion

Are you able to put a link to the product. I have had a look at the web site but can only find the spring flapper type. http://www.waterco.com.au/component/virtuemart/details/6/11/pool-&-spa-products/valves/flow-check-valves

I would be interested, I have two check valves but still worry as I believe that the type they use in the TRNC can stick open even without a blockage. Not too much of a problem though as I only have on overflow when I am in the TRNC.

yrret

Message Posted:
18/02/2012 12:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 12 in Discussion

Or have the check valve fitted in the right place, i.e. after the filter so it doesn block and stick open.

Remember the consequence of a stuck open c/v is that when the pump goes off, you efectively backwash the filter into the b/t, so best tp stop it happening.

I fixed the leaf problem by making a filter that fits the outlet pipe in the balance tank, that way all the crap is kept in there and never gest as far as the valves etc.

cyprusairsoft

Message Posted:
18/02/2012 12:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 12 in Discussion

yrret is quiet correct this is the easiest and cheapest solution

cyprusairsoft

Message Posted:
18/02/2012 12:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 12 in Discussion

forgot i have one of these filters on my ground water tank as well stops any crap going into the tanks and water system very cheap fitted by mr pipe

yrret

Message Posted:
18/02/2012 12:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 12 in Discussion

You can also get some leaf catchers to go in the gully to catch the larger bits, can't think how to describe them but when fitted, they make a dome shape catcher, only about 5-10 tl each, and work well. Available from most Yapi's and pool shops.

You need to check them periodically though as if they block, the gulley can fill with water.

One solution is a peice of plastic pipe with many say 10mm holes drilled in the sides, and fitted in the balance tank retun holes, sticking up into the gully.

The water strains in through the holes, getting higher as leaves build up, but it never blocks fully as the top is open so acts as an overflow.

ozkent

Message Posted:
18/02/2012 14:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 12 in Discussion

I just go to the yapi market and buy a 1mtr of green plastic coated netting 8tl, cut into 12inch strips roll up tight place one end into the return hole in the gutter when you release it expands and fills the hole

check every few months cheapas chips.

JohnWG

Message Posted:
18/02/2012 15:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 12 in Discussion

colly,

Easier to send a broicgure, please send me an email addrsss and will send to you.

Groucho

Message Posted:
18/02/2012 16:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 12 in Discussion

JohnWG

63mm is a very odd size, are you sure it's not 65mm?

colly

Message Posted:
18/02/2012 16:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 12 in Discussion

Re messages 3 and 4. I have 2 check valves, one on the clean side and one on the dirty. It was perhaps 3 years since fitting when the original valve stuck in the open position, no debris just stuck in the open position. Changed the valve and added the other. A year later checked the valve on the clean side and the replacement was also stuck open, this happened the same time as debris blocked the other one. Fortunately I spotted the water going down and it had only reached the top of the balance tank. The valves return the moment you push on them, it seems that if they are left open at a slight angle then there is this possibility.

JohnWG

Message Posted:
18/02/2012 16:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 12 in Discussion

Thanks all for constructive comments.

All good suggestions for leaf catchers most of which I have used in the past and still do. The problem is I could not inspect and clean as often as I would like and I hate to see water go to waste.

I see people in pool shops replacing water damaged electrics and pumps. Great business for some.

I prefer prevention

JohnWG

Message Posted:
18/02/2012 17:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 12 in Discussion

Groucho,

Waterco brochure says 63 mm. Just measured a valve and bore is to suit a pipe outside diameter 63mm to be glued/welded in. I used in the line with local grey pool pipe.

trust that aswers your query but if you want to see one let me know Tel number above in Alsancak.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.