North Cyprus Tourist Board - DIY Help Please - Above Ground Pond
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > DIY Help Please - Above Ground Pond

DIY Help Please - Above Ground Pond

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See all Do It Yourself (DIY) threads posted so far

nikegirl

Message Posted:
19/02/2012 07:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 11 in Discussion

I need some DIY advice please. We currently have a big pond stocked with lots of nice fish, Koi etc and have to move to a new house. We are just renting and so we can't dig holes in the garden and we don't want to leave our precious fish behind.

I have done some Google-ing and seen that there are above ground plastic pond options. Do you know if there is anywhere here that I can buy that sort of thing?

Any advice or help to point me in the right direction would be great

yrret

Message Posted:
19/02/2012 08:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 11 in Discussion

If you get really stuck, you could always build a temporary above ground pool from timber, maybe support the sides with metal stakes in the ground, and get a liner to put inside, might see you through until you find a more permanent solution if ou need to move soon.

For a semi permanent solution, shuter the wood and pour concrete between, then fit liner.

I was going to say used the pool, but you would have to change out all the water.

benoppy

Message Posted:
19/02/2012 09:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 11 in Discussion

what about a kids paddling pool used one of these in england when I was doing a partial water change

deputydawg

Message Posted:
19/02/2012 10:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 11 in Discussion

How big does the pool need to be, ie, how many fish and of what size ? Do you filter and oxygenate the water ? Suggest a free standing, plastic, 5 ton or bigger, normal domestic water tank. Site it in a shady area but not under deciderous trees or bushes. Cut off approx top third of tank and do not fill to the point that the sides buckle and brace the sides if necessary. Filters and aeration can be fitted in the normal way. Have tank ready and water conditioned before moving fish. A clean dustbin half filled with a mixture of your existing pond water and fresh water is ideal for moving the fish but not too many at one time. Preferably with the lid on the bin but holes in the lid.

deputydawg

Message Posted:
19/02/2012 10:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 11 in Discussion

Oops sorry. Should have typed "5 ton cylinder shaped tank"

Groucho

Message Posted:
19/02/2012 10:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 11 in Discussion

If you use a the wrong type of construction herons etc. will feast on your Koi. You must build a fence around the edge of any pond so that the birds can't perch on the edge and fish into the pond.

nikegirl

Message Posted:
19/02/2012 11:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 11 in Discussion

Thanks for all your advice everyone. The water tank is a good idea. I'm going to measure the patio area at the front of the new house, today hopefully, and then I'll know what dimensions I can work with.

The current pond is pretty big. We have a pump which works the fountain but there isn't any filter or anything and the water is really green and disgusting.

When we move I was thinking of something like this: http://www.oak-barrel.com/garden_pond/koi_log_ponds.htm

I was doing some research on how to build a biofilter and think I could make a good one out of a bin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt6eMowvuD8&feature=relmfu

I'm not sure how many fish we have at the moment. We cleaned out the whole pond 6 months ago and had about 30 fish ranging from tiny goldfish to fairly big butterfly koi but I don't know how many are left. It's hard to count them!

I've been reading some older posts about ponds and you all seem so knowledgable so thanks very much for helping.

nikegirl

Message Posted:
19/02/2012 11:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 11 in Discussion

Photo of current pond (hopefully it works)

http://s143.photobucket.com/albums/r158/juliehodson86/?action=view¤t=19509cf4.jpg" target="_blank">http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r158/juliehodson86/19509cf4.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos" />

nikegirl

Message Posted:
19/02/2012 11:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 11 in Discussion

Second attempt...

http://postimage.org/image/tz3c6w6rb/

deputydawg

Message Posted:
19/02/2012 17:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 11 in Discussion

Your pond looks very good. If you want all year round clear water in Cyprus you will probably have to go to a depth of water at least near to 3 ft, provide shade for at least most of the Summer sunshine hours by way of something like an awning, and filter your water flow also. A UV light in the filter system is also a good addition. It does not take a very large pump to combine your aeration flow with a filter flow by using a T joint and valves to regulate this, so no extra spent on pumps or electricity. One third of the water surface covered by lilies is also good for water clarity. I am currently making a new filter in a 100 TL wheeley bin to replace my 8 year old one and this will be covered from sight by a wooden jacket upon which to sit or place pot plants. A smaller, less effective, custom made BIO filter is in shops priced at 330 Euro !

SWCathy

Message Posted:
19/02/2012 18:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 11 in Discussion

Give Dave a ring on:

0533 886 2097

You can see the one he has built

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.