North Cyprus Tourist Board - The true costs of bank charges on British cards abroad up to £47
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > The true costs of bank charges on British cards abroad up to £47

The true costs of bank charges on British cards abroad up to £47

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Additional Costs in North Cyprus

» See All North Cyprus Banks Related Threads posted so far

» See North Cyprus Interest Rates

wanderer

Message Posted:
19/02/2012 12:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 5 in Discussion

ROYAL BANK OF SCOTLAND and LLOYDS were named and shamed for imposing the highest charges on people who use debit cards abroad.

BANK OF SCOTLAND — part of Lloyds — charges more than £47 in fees when someone makes ten £50 purchases and five ATM withdrawals of £50.

RBS charges £43.13 for the same transactions, see the table below.

This is nearly double the amount charged by NATIONWIDE, Britain's biggest building society.

Watchdog WHICH? urged the Office of Fair Trading to force banks to be more transparent about fees. Which? executive director Richard Lloyd said: "It's a scandal that despite all the current anger and all the political noise about the state of the banking industry, they are still hiding the figures.

"They are impossible for most people to work out how they are calculated.

"The OFT yesterday said banks have to change or be changed. What more evidence do we need that fundamental action should be taken by regulators?

wanderer

Message Posted:
19/02/2012 12:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 5 in Discussion

cont

Which? sent researchers to Calais in France to find out how much various banks and building societies charge.

The NORWICH & PETERBOROUGH BUILDING SOCIETY tops the poll with ZERO fees because of its Gold Light account. Customers are guaranteed no additional fees for overseas transactions if they use it a certain number of times.

Which? researchers withdrawing 20 (or £16.92) from the Nationwide were actually charged £18.25.

This includes a "foreign loading fee" of two per cent to cover currency exchange costs, and a £1 ATM withdrawal fee.

HALIFAX — the bank that gives you "Xtra" — charged £18.89 for the withdrawal.

It costs £19.13 at HSBC, and £19.38 at SANTANDER.

NATWEST charges £19.39 while customers at Lloyds pay a total of £19.43.

Bank of Scotland trousers 1.5 per cent of the amount withdrawn at the ATM — up to a maximum of £4.50.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/money/city/4137991/47-fees-to-use-bank-card-on-holiday.html

Woodspeckie

Message Posted:
19/02/2012 12:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 5 in Discussion

I have never ever been charged by Nationwide for sterling withdrawals from my debit card in North Cyprus orf Turkey and not been charged interest on my credit card, if you have the correct Flex Account you don't get charged, I paid my 4 weeks Hotel bill from 6th Dec to 4th Jan on the 4th January with my credit card and just paid it on the 17th February with no charges.

blade

Message Posted:
19/02/2012 13:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 5 in Discussion

I have used my Halifax debit card here recently at an ATM they only charged me 2.50 for a withdrawing 300 pounds.

The Lloyds international account debit card, i have charges me nothing to withdraw from ATM's but it does have a monthly fee for having the account.

Transfering money with the Halifax i found expensive something like 20 pounds to change sterling to euros and transfer abroad.

I do think all banks need watching right now more than ever.

Deniz1

Message Posted:
19/02/2012 13:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 5 in Discussion

Great if you live in the uk and can open an account with Nationwide. Those of us who cannot just have to pay.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.