North Cyprus Tourist Board - Using iPhone 4 and/or iPad2 in North Cyprus
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Using iPhone 4 and/or iPad2 in North Cyprus

Using iPhone 4 and/or iPad2 in North Cyprus

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

LaptaGeezer

Message Posted:
21/02/2012 13:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 7 in Discussion

Hi All,

I would like to know what the situation is regarding using the iPhone 4 and/or the iPad2 in Cyprus.

Both are 'micro sim' cards - is this available from the local suppliers nowadays? Can iPhones be easily unlocked out there? Would like to be able to use my iPhone 4 with 3G as I can track when I go for long walks etc. but can't use it on my UK carrier due to cost etc.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Paul

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
21/02/2012 14:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 7 in Discussion

@ msg 1, LaptaGeezer: Some answers that may help you:

1 : Use in NORTHERN Cyprus: few problems. Only deep in the mountains I sometimes lose the connection to Turkcell. GPS: satellite signals are most of the times received (unless you walk on the northern side of and close to mountains).

2 : Micro sim cards: normal sim cards are clipped for free at the Turkcell shops in Girne.

3 : iPhones can be unlocked - check this forum (Google Custom search field on top of this message).

4 : You can buy a 3G packet at the Turkcell shops (250 Mb, 1-2-3 or 4 Gigabyte). You can upgrade your packet if you use more than estimated.

4a: Download the app MyDataUsage or (better imo) Data Usage from the App Store to check and control your daily cellular data usage.

LaptaGeezer

Message Posted:
21/02/2012 14:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 7 in Discussion

Thanks DC... very useful

Smity

Message Posted:
21/02/2012 15:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 7 in Discussion

You will only need to unlock them if they are sim locked to any Network, a card will only cost you 9YTL so its worth the try

You can obtain the unlock code from apple or your contract provider for a about £25

I did this mine & the wires I phone 4s and they worked great

Once you have the unlock code you simply plug in the phone to your PC log on to iTunes follow the instructions and the phone is unlocked Takes about 3 minuets per phone

I live in ozonkoy and no problem with signal at all

I do cheat though I only use WiFi, at home and when a bar or restaurant has it i pick up off them, they will always give you there password. Once you have logged on the iPhone will alway remember the WiFi and log on automatically she you in the establishment

I had a 3G unlocked in a shop and when i plugged it into iTunes to update the phone became useless

If you go for Turkcell, it will work south, in Mainland Turkey, & the UK as it is now part of Vodaphone

A good app for data usage is Dat

Smity

Message Posted:
21/02/2012 15:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 7 in Discussion

The last word was Dataman

cavalryman

Message Posted:
21/02/2012 16:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 7 in Discussion

I would suggest getting it unlocked in uk apple is good as well and will unlock most phones if you get it unlocked outwith apple its ok as long as when you plug in to i tunes DO NOT let it check for updates refuse it and all will be well .Unlock uk £15 ublock trnc 25 ytl ish

cyprusairsoft

Message Posted:
21/02/2012 17:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 7 in Discussion

ipad2 wifi no problems

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.