North Cyprus Tourist Board - Inspection trip
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Inspection trip

Inspection trip

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» North Cyprus Property Development Reviews

» Property Buying Guide to North Cyprus

jetl3on

Message Posted:
11/11/2007 12:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 21 in Discussion

Morning all,

My trip has been organised and confirmed only £99, staying in Central Kyrenia, going out next week and the inevitable excitement, nerves and panic are beginning to creep in. I would like to draw up an essential list of Do`s and dont Do`s in order to remain grounded and not lose sight of the objective, as I am going alone and will be at the agents mercy. If anyone has any essential tips, it would be well received.

Rgds

Jetleon

Bradus

Message Posted:
11/11/2007 13:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 21 in Discussion

Jetl3on,

Read everything on the HPBG site - there is a long list of do and donts. Do not be in a rush its a buyers market. Choose the area first, consider what title deeds you are willing to persue, don't confuse hospitality with honesty. Get written specifications. Don't use solicitor recommended by estate agent. See thread on Unwins as it mentions new estate agents law. Don't believe it when the estate agent tells you that no one will build in front of you or in the field next door. Seek recommendations from people who have already had successful purchases. Do as much research as is possible, including the political situation so that you are aware of existing problems. Some real bargains in beautiful areas and some excellent builders, estate agents and lawyers but some real sharks too so do your home work. Good luck and I'm sure you'll be pleasently surprised by what is on offer.

orangekazzie

Message Posted:
11/11/2007 13:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 21 in Discussion

if you are able to, talk to people who have bought in the area that you like and find out whether they are on mains water or whether its from a central storage tank. A lot of the sites on the East side of Girne/Kyrenia around the Esentepe area aren't on mains water and never will be according to the Muhtar. If you do find something you like, and are connected to the direct mains see if you can have additional water storage underground or sited somewhere on your property to last (not including any storage for a pool if you have one), I would suggest cold water storage of at least 8 tonne. There have been major problems around the Alsancak area this year with many homes being without water for up to 8 hours a day. A good example is http://www.ontheisland.co.uk .

Most homes have 2tonne cold + 1tonne hot on the roof with another 2tonne either underground/surface mounted in plastic tanks to feed the roof one. This sounds a lot but I would see if you could get a bigger one underground as the water situation is only going to get worse.

Hope this helps.

Karen

Paulkay

Message Posted:
11/11/2007 14:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 21 in Discussion

HI JET.

WE ARE THINKING OF GOING OUT OURSELVES ON AN INSPECTION TRIP.

WHO ARE YOU GOING WITH,AND WHAT TYPE OF PROPERTY ARE YOU LOOKING AT.

KIND REGARDS PAULKAY

jetl3on

Message Posted:
11/11/2007 16:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 21 in Discussion

Thank you Bradus, I will try that site.

Karen,

I must admit, I dont understand how this water thing works, from what you have described, how can it get worse? Why so many tanks, and what rules defines where they are positioned?

Why is Cold water underground and Hot water overground? Why not just one tank? and can you drink from these supplies? Maybe the cold water is purified and the hot recycled sewage?

But thank you anyway, something I hadnt considered, but is now on my list of essentials.

Regards

Jet

jetl3on

Message Posted:
11/11/2007 16:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 21 in Discussion

PaulKay -

Im going with a company called Property Overseas, as they were the most down to earth, honest and professional of all the agents I met. They personify my idea of an agent, in depth knowledge on the subject, lived in TRNC, always available to talk and everything they told me checked out on the internet and various forums.

As I am going solo and dont know any one out there, I have decided against the riskier off-plan remote villa with private pool to a simple 2 bed resale penthouse apartment in the middle of the action, walking distance to the sea, all amenities connected, as I feel this is the safest option and what you see is what you get.

Jetleon

orangekazzie

Message Posted:
11/11/2007 17:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 21 in Discussion

Hi Jet

Properties are built with one hot tank and one cold tank on the roof. The cold tank feeds the hot water tank which is heated via the solar panels (free hot water). As the hot water is drawn off it is replaced by the water from the cold water tank and this in turn is replaled normally from a tank on the ground floor or underground and this tank is refilled either via the mains supply or from a central water tank.

Its not like the UK where everyone just relies on mains water. Each property has its own water depot. If you run out of water you can buy water from the Beledesyi who will tanker it up to your property (you need to replenish your pool this way unless you are lucky to have use of a well).

There are no rules as to where you position your tanks but they aren't that good to look at so if they can be sited somewhere out of the way ie. under the house/underground it's better.

The water itself is ok to drink but personally I wouldn't drink it without first boiling it. Bottled water/Water dispensers are really cheap and most people have their own water dispenser in kitchens. 19ltr bottles are 3.5ytl and normally last us about 1 week during the summer. The machine costs around £50 - 75 depending on where you buy them.

Water has been very scarce this year. The last drop of rain we had in Esentepe was January (with the exception of 1 hour the night before last).

Our Beledesyi turns the water on for about 2 hours per night which is enough to replenish your personal tanks. They tend to vary the times as people were watering their gardens with the water which is not really allowed. If you use too much water ie. fill your pool or water the garden, they will cut you off completely (which is something that has happened to one person in our Village).

Using your own supply makes you realise how wasteful you have been in the past. We save as much water as possible to water the garden. When showering we have a bucket to catch the cold water until the hot comes through. Its amazing how much goes down the drain.

Hope this helps

Karen

Paulkay

Message Posted:
11/11/2007 19:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 21 in Discussion

HI JET THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY.

DO YOU HAVE THERE WEB SITE.

THANKS PAUL

JamesB

Message Posted:
11/11/2007 19:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 21 in Discussion

Be careful, Be careful, Be careful, Be careful, Be careful, Be careful, Be careful,

Be careful, Be careful, Be careful, Be careful, Be careful, Be careful, Be careful,

JamesB

Message Posted:
11/11/2007 19:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 21 in Discussion

Oh, and be careful.

Seriously, How can you tell when an Estate agent is talking Bullshit?

His lips are moving!

BE CAREFUL!

pilgrim

Message Posted:
11/11/2007 20:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 21 in Discussion

JetLeon,

if your that scared, buy a finished property which you can inspect on pre74 turkish title deeds and diminish your worries. Get a good solicitor,many recommendations on this site and you soon you will be enjoying this great place.

simbas

Message Posted:
12/11/2007 05:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 21 in Discussion

Hi you cant do enough research,that is the key to a successful purchase. i bought off plan we went with Troylake.com they have property in kyrenia and the bogaz area .They have offices in nc and London . so communication was easy.Good luck

regards Simbas

jetl3on

Message Posted:
12/11/2007 11:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 21 in Discussion

Pilgrim - not scared exactly, ha ha ha, just overly cautious perhaps. This adventure is a risk, but one I am fully prepared to take.

JamesB - your not helping!! After reading your comment, now I am scared, hahaha.

Seriously though, although Agents should be kept at arms length, there are many that do operate above expectation.

Then there are some like I met at the Excel show recently, I wont name and shame, but they swore blind that "Cyprus" is not divided and is all part of the EU, the north has some trade restrictions, hence the cheap prices, but once lifted, the prices will quadruple. WTF???

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
12/11/2007 12:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 21 in Discussion

Hi jetll3on

good luck with your inspection trip.

I got an e-mail from Remax the other day. I have not used them but am on their mailing list. They are offering a 3 bedroom Turkish title property with a 12k discount. They didnt name the site or developer, but it looks like the Evergreens property in Guzelyert. Could be a bargain deal. You might want to check it out.

If you are out there and you are really stuck, then I suggest you call a guy called Peter Lawson. There is realy not much this guy doesn't know about NC, the process of buying, the TC mentality and the political situation. He made me aware of so much and I feel I can really trust him. He is a British dentist who now lives in NC. His father was TC. He can be contacted on 00905338668054. I am sure he wont mind you calling him

Milou

Message Posted:
12/11/2007 13:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 21 in Discussion

Hi Jet3on

Re: comments about "Cyprus is not divided and is all part of the EU." My understanding is that, whilst the TRNC government is not recognised, EU citizens ARE. Therefore, in principle, I could go to the European court and argue that I was denied medical treatment in the south - AN INTERESTING QUESTION!!!

In fact an MP from the south has already made a statement that recognition should be given to the north because presently, citizens from the north are getting free water and it's citizens are getting free medical treatment. If I find the article I will post it on this forum.

Regards

jetl3on

Message Posted:
12/11/2007 14:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 21 in Discussion

Milou

I cannot argue the finer points of differentiating Citizens from its state, as I am no expert, but does one not represent the other and therefore suffer the same fate as its Government by default, its citizens not being recognised either?

I dont want to start a political debate so I will stop here.

I have read countless articles where TRNC and ROC are treated as seperate entities, even in sport a recent football match was cancelled because somebody complained and for an Agent to imply that they live together as one big happy family, is misrepresentation and far from the reality.

I would be interested in reading this article though.

Rgds

Jetleon

jetl3on

Message Posted:
12/11/2007 14:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 21 in Discussion

ILC - Just added his name to my contact list, Thank you.

PaulKay - email sent.

regards

jetleon

jetl3on

Message Posted:
23/11/2007 22:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 21 in Discussion

Selam,

Currently chilling in the Altinkaya hotel, having spent a day exploring and a day inspecting.

First impressions - very very Dusty!! The east coast is nice, can imagine riding my motorbike along these quiet roads with no helmet, glorious!!

Alagadi, Esentepe, Ozankoy, Bahceli, Tatlisu, nice road, very little traffic and very very quiet, lots of construction going on, recognised a number of developments I read about on the net and other places.

Where are the parks?? Is it due to the climate, grass is difficult to grow? Lots of natural beauty in the east coast.

The west is of course well establised, the castle, the harbour, the marina, the people, and having tangible evidence of prospective purchases is nice, rather than artist sketches. Saw thisgorgeous modern apartment overlooking the bay with marble floors, window sills, floor to roof windows and met the developer and english buyer, sitting in a restaurant I went to, coincidence. Work had started only 14months ago to completion, which was nice to see, a good confidence builder.

Mercour Hotel, Escape beach, 5 Mile, fresh fish restaurants, all good, cant wait to go out again tomorrow.

Bradus

Message Posted:
23/11/2007 23:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 21 in Discussion

Jetlson,

Bellapais is also nice and there are large country parks around St.Hilarion for picnicing. Good to hear your getting round and seing alot of the island. Hows the weather? Keep us all posted and I hope you enjoy the rst of your stay. We have stayed in the Altinkya staff are incredibly helpful and friendly.

jetl3on

Message Posted:
24/11/2007 09:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 21 in Discussion

Broadus,

Bellapais is not nice, it is stunning!! The old monastery, the views, the quaint shops and restaurants, the village people chilling under the pergolas, the narrow streets, quintessential village life.

Anyone purchased in the Sea Vista development, Nice views.... The Lipas development.....Distinguished properties have by far the best quality and use the best materials I have seen so far.....Merpas hotel is something else, very classy.

Very little police presence I noticed, no sirens blaring, which is a relief, Drink driving is rife over here though.

Can anyone give a character reference for Naomi Mehmet and her business? have heard some not so nice things from a few people here.

I was fortunate to be here the same time as the TC agent i met in the UK, and seeing him in his habitat, its reassurring to see the consistency of what we discussed in practice on the island.

Can confirm that the agents push the off-plan to a far greater degree and practically ignore resale. When I asked to see resale, the look I got from them was comical to say the least.

Bradus

Message Posted:
24/11/2007 12:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 21 in Discussion

Yes Jet,

Bellapais is stunning. It can be busy in summer though. Property at the very top end of Ozankoy so that you are in walking distance of Bellapais but also tap into the many bars and restaurants in Ozankoy is well worth looking at. There is also a fair amount of resale and completed new builds in this area. It appears estate agents push off plan because the commission is greater.Although I feel that the property we purchased which was off plan looks better than the artists impressions, I am a great believer in knowing tht what you see is what you get so would promote completed property or resale.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.