North Cyprus Tourist Board - ataturk airport - transfer times - help
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > ataturk airport - transfer times - help

ataturk airport - transfer times - help

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

Ian37

Message Posted:
24/02/2012 13:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 22 in Discussion

We have booked tickets and are travelling with Turkish Airlines from Manchester to Ercan via Istanbul next month. We have only travelled with Pegasus before so have not used Ataturk Airport. Can anyone give me any information or indication about how far apart the gates are likely to be. Do you for example have to change terminals? Turkish Airlines are now saying that 50 minutes is not enough time to change planes which seems strange. My daughter has flown there a couple of times and does not remember it being all that far.

I am beginning to wonder if they have some different agenda.

wanderer

Message Posted:
24/02/2012 13:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 22 in Discussion

I don't think there is an agenda 50 minutes is tight

It is one very large terminal and can take 20 minutes to get from one end to the other

What happens if the Manchester plane is late?

Your luggage is transferred from the Manchester plane to the Ercan plane automatically

You have to go through transit to the departures and through security into the holding area

I would want 1:20 to be safe and not going back to Ercan for my luggage next day

lippylush

Message Posted:

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 22 in Discussion

We have flown this way many times and it is pretty straight forward. There is usually a very long walk between gates but there is only the one terminal. You need to stay in transit and sometimes you will have to queue at a border control before being allowed to go through, but this is hit and miss and depends on the Turks, however this can take time. We have made the connection a few times and once were met by staff and whisked through to catch the connection. However we have also missed a few connections and had to catch the later plane to Ercan. If they know at Manchester there are delays they will advise you and put you on the later plane whcih gets to Ercan about 11pm, otherwise go to the Turskish Airlines desk @ Istanbul and they will book you onto the later flight. Do not try and go out of the Airport as you will be charged an entry visa. There are plenty of facilities in the Airport including a smoking balcony (if you smoke) although drinks etc are expensive.

MaggieAndBernie

Message Posted:

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 22 in Discussion

As long as the inbound Manchester flight is on time you should make it ok. Your luggage gets checked all the way through to Ercan. No need to change terminals. You need to follow the 'transit' signs - no need to go through passport/security again till you get to the gate for Ercan. They usually tell you which gate before you land in Istanbul. I have managed it many times in under an hour (even nipping up the smoking terrace for a quick puff!)

Good luck!

Maggie

lippylush

Message Posted:
24/02/2012 14:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 22 in Discussion

The other thing to say is if you make the connection and time is very tight your luggage may come over on the later flight, which means returning to Ercan to get it.

MaggieAndBernie

Message Posted:
24/02/2012 15:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 22 in Discussion

Not necessarily lippylush! I did miss mine once and Turkish Air chap delivered it to my house in Baspinar! Howzat for good service!

Maggie

rocking

Message Posted:
24/02/2012 15:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 22 in Discussion

I have travelled Turkish Airlines at least twice a year since they flew into Cyprus, but going over again in June and cannot face it. Jan. 4.30 am flight to Istanbul, then enormous queue for transit passengers and that was at 6 am then had to wait 6 hrs for onward flight. Too old now to drag myself about and I would say you need a good 30 min. after going through transit to get from domestic travel (Ercan) to International for onward flight. Even the 2 hr change is cutting it fine if the transit queue is long. If there was a 3 hr slot there would be so many more people travelling from this side - I am talking into Heathrow as Stanstead no good for me at all.

Isabella

Message Posted:
24/02/2012 15:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 22 in Discussion

There is now a flight at 9.45 am from Ercan to Istanbul with an hour and thirtyfive minute wait in Instanbul for the Manchester flight

carian

Message Posted:
24/02/2012 16:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 22 in Discussion

Re message 8, we're going on the 9.45am flight in April, but I think that flight depends on the day you actually travel.

Rocking - Ercan is classed as an international flight at the airports in Turkey

yrret

Message Posted:
24/02/2012 16:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 22 in Discussion

Ian,

I transit through IST a couple of times a month (albeit different routing), and suggest the following:

24Hrs before ECN flight, go to http://www.thy.com and check in on-line, you will need your PNR flight numbers, do both flights, you should be able to print b/passes. Get seats as close as possible to the front.

Confirm all this at the MAN check in and if you couldn’t print b/passes. get them both there, which won’t be an issue.

Bags will be checked through.

On arrival in IST, you will more than likely approach the transit stairs, with them on the left, just before THY Transit desk and Visa kiosk, they have been re-furbishing this so look out for it.

Go through and up the stair, have ECN b/passes ready as they will want to see them, no need to go to the transit desk.

At top of stairs, turn to right and walk about 50m to open area and check screens overhead. You will most likely be one of the gates under the screens, so head that way, have watches/belts etc already in hand lu

yrret

Message Posted:
24/02/2012 16:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 22 in Discussion

If you are on the downstairs (bus to plane gates) you may have to ask to be let through to speed up.

If you do miss the plane, go to a THY desk, or the people at the gate, and explain they knew the plane was coming etc, they do often hold planes for their own late passengers. If you have missed it, ask for a pass to access the business class lounge, which is at the far end for the airport to where you came up the transit stairs, it’s one of the best lounges I have ever used, and you will be very comfortable. The clever bit there is, because you have more than a 4 hour stop over, you can ask for a room with TV, wifi, shower etc. Good food and drinks in the lounge.

Good luck, I have done short transits live yours many time, and never missed one yet.

lippylush

Message Posted:
25/02/2012 14:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 22 in Discussion

yrret

If you're flying economy and miss conections can you still ask for a pass to thier buisness class lounge?

Other option is if you are an HSBC premier customer they have a lounge you can use while waiting for connections, free drinks and food and quite comfrotable.

Glasbury

Message Posted:
25/02/2012 16:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 22 in Discussion

I have travelled on this route from Manchester and although we missed the connection in Istanbul due to delays in Manchester - we got on the next flight out and all was well. I did wonder what would happen to our luggage but it was all transferred successfully and everything worked out fine although we did arrive later than anticipated in Ercan.

yrret

Message Posted:
25/02/2012 17:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 22 in Discussion

#12 - Business Lounge,

Not sure whet they will say Lippy, but if you don;t ask, you don't get.

The entrance to the lounge now reasd the bar code on the b/pass, so the desk would have to let anyone in manually, worth a try.

Ian37

Message Posted:
27/02/2012 11:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 22 in Discussion

We are going back on the later flight . I had always avoided Turkish Airlines because of the early flight back as it was not worth going to bed if you have to fly at 4am.

Ian37

Message Posted:
27/02/2012 11:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 22 in Discussion

Thank you for all your help and advice. We will certainly print off our boarding passes for both flights in advance so that we can be organised for getting there. We have already booked seats at the front of the plane but I will check that they are definitely there as I did not print a BP at the time. Maybe you can't do them this far in advance. We might struggle to check in and print just 24 hours in advance as we are travelling to Manchester the day before and stopping overnight at the airport. As I say that we can probably do it at the hotel.

The second person who phoned from T.A. was incredibly rude and said if we missed the flight to Ercan we would have to pay again for the flight from Istanbul to Ercan. Not having missed a flight before I was a bit worried but thought it was unlikely to be true. We have always found, before, that people are incredibly helpful and polite.

Anyway, thanks again for all the advice.

Ian37

Message Posted:
27/02/2012 11:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 22 in Discussion

I have taken a copy of the directions which I am sure will help with time being tight. Thanks.

carian

Message Posted:
27/02/2012 12:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 22 in Discussion

Yrret, we've also taken a copy of your directions after I checked our flight in April and the connection was also down to 50 mins. coming back from Manchester, although THY have not let us know. They did let my son know and he doesn't come until August, but at least we'll have tried it and will be able to tell him if it works or not !!!!

Ian37 - Its seems incredible that they can threaten you with extra payment when its up to them to make sure you are there for your connecting flight. Please post how you get on, we'll be interested to see how the transfer went.

yrret

Message Posted:
27/02/2012 12:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 22 in Discussion

If it's any more help. I have just found this:

http://www.ataturkairport.com/en-EN/preflight/Pages/InternationalTerminalArrivalFloor.aspx

Maps of the airport!

Click on 'International Terminal Arrival Floor' (take s a while to load) and you get all the gates on page 1 plus all the info you need. Look for the small blue/white escalator symbols next to the (red) THY transit deask (opposite Gate 215), this is the one that is always open. It is just past the main Visa desk on the right coming from gates 216 and higher and on the left coming from gates 214 and lower, should make it all easy to find.

Don't forget to post your times from leaving the plane to arriving at next gate for future reference for others as I have never timed it, but guess I have done it in 10-15 mins with ease.

carian

Message Posted:
27/02/2012 13:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 22 in Discussion

Thanks for that yrret. Been to Ataturk many times but not for transfer only to visit Istanbul.

carian

Message Posted:
05/03/2012 10:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 22 in Discussion

Had a text message last night ( at 11.30 pm!!) from TA and they are now saying that we will have to get the later plane because we won't have time to transit at Istanbul, meaning a 4 hour stopover instead of 1 hour, I've told them that we will and the reason we booked these flights was because of the times. On the booking it still says we are on that flight so not sure whats happening.

They also said that 1 1/4 hrs. is needed for transit but it was only 1 hour when we booked it so where is their logic in that ?

I've filled a complaints form on-line because their customer service is non-existent, this is the first and last time that we use TA.

laptajack

Message Posted:
05/03/2012 11:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 22 in Discussion

I do the route regular with TA from various routes to Istanbul, 1 hour is definitely not long enough, i have missed connections twice this year and my transit time was approx 1;30 HOURS.

I have also asked for lounge access as i was faced with a 5 hour delay, and was told no, i was also flying business to Istanbul, but economy to Ercan, but as above if you don't ask, you don't get.

How ever i think TA offer a good service, and i just try to make sure i have enough time for the connecting flight.

And yes it is a very expensive airport, 20tl for an effes, etc!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.