North Cyprus Tourist Board - buying in north cyprus
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > buying in north cyprus

buying in north cyprus

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

trueshrimp

Message Posted:
24/02/2012 18:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 165 in Discussion

i have just joined your forum today 24.02.12 i am thinking of buying a apartment in north cyprus in july / august 2012 i am booked in hotel in kyrenia.

i am concerned about the land and builders from what i have read on your forums please can anyone help to give me a peice of mind as to what to do. please help someone out there.

many thanks

ricooper123

Message Posted:
24/02/2012 18:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 165 in Discussion

Dont buy rent,all a load of conmen out here.

suehowlittle

Message Posted:
24/02/2012 18:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 165 in Discussion

Buy something which the owners actually own. Make sure you see the Kocan and that it is in their name.

That's the only advice I can give you other than to rent.

It is a buyer's market at the moment, do not rush. There are lots of people with apartments to sell, myself included - take your time.

A very important feature also is to ascertain (with evidence) the cost of the monthly maintenance. Some people are paying silly money nowadays which they are locked into.

I want £63,000 for my very large apartment in Kyrenia, 3 double bedrooms, instant hot water, extra water storage, insect screens and all new floors, new luxury housebathroom. Lovely block with all owners (no renters) so very well cared for. The maintenance is £30 per month which pays for the substantial gardens and swimming pool maintenance. Walk to the harbour around 8 minutes.

Take care and good luck, if you want to look at mine my email address is in my profile, just click on my name.

suehowlittle

Message Posted:
24/02/2012 18:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 165 in Discussion

sorry I forgot to say - also comes with Kocan, all taxes paid.

Builder no longer in the picture as the apartments are now 8 years old.

Happy hunting

philbailey

Message Posted:
24/02/2012 18:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 165 in Discussion

Read the british foreign office advice

TRNCvictim

Message Posted:
24/02/2012 18:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 165 in Discussion

Mess 1

As philbailey says read the British Foreign Office Website! and as suehowlittle says the best advice anyone can give you is rent and don't buy, even if the property has a Kocan you will be at risk until you get your Permission to Purchase which can take a long time! in my case 4 years, even though I didn't need or want it anymore! Land issues are a minefield! tread on one and bang goes your hard earned money (unless of course you have money to burn)! and always always be aware of certain Estate Agents, and certain Lawyers!

The best of luck!

philbailey

Message Posted:
24/02/2012 19:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 165 in Discussion

The british foreign office says

Property owners and potential purchasers should also consider that a future settlement of the Cyprus problem could have serious consequences for property they purchase (including the possible restitution of the property to its original owners)

martin

Message Posted:
24/02/2012 19:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 165 in Discussion

it is a great place here to live the weather is good most of the year the views are to die for just find a good home and go for it

there are lots about for sale at the moment this is the best time to see b4 you buy because some have lots of damp problems or try renting but we all no renting is dead money and it is nice to be able to do what u want to your own home all the best

erolz

Message Posted:
24/02/2012 19:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 165 in Discussion

http://ukincyprus.fco.gov.uk/resources/en/pdf/541790282/faqs-immovable-property

The British Foreign Office also say about their OWN information in the above linked faq

"With acknowledgement to Andreas Neocleous & Co LLC, this information is provided by the British High Commission in Nicosia for the convenience of enquirers. However, neither Her Majesty's Government nor any official of the High Commission take any responsibility for the accuracy of this information nor the competence or probity of any firm/advocate/organisation mentioned or for the consequence of any legal action."

suehowlittle

Message Posted:
24/02/2012 19:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 165 in Discussion

That's typical of the good old UK. Never take/admit any responsibility for any advice that they give which in my eyes renders it less than useless!

Bunch of yellow backed pansies!

pollymarples

Message Posted:
24/02/2012 19:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 165 in Discussion

This post has to be a wind up. How many more?

philbailey

Message Posted:
24/02/2012 19:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 165 in Discussion

From the same site

The website of the British High Commission in Nicosia contains information about purchasing property in Cyprus, including frequently asked questions, and information for people who are experiencing difficulties with a property purchase. On 20 October 2006 a criminal code amendment relating to property came into effect. Under the amendment, buying, selling, renting, promoting or mortgaging a property without the permission of the owner (the person whose ownership is registered with the Republic of Cyprus Land Registry, including Greek Cypriots displaced from northern Cyprus in 1974), is a criminal offence. This also applies to agreeing to sell, buy or rent a property without the owner’s permission. The maximum prison sentence is seven years. Furthermore, the amendment to the law states that any attempt to undertake such a transaction is a criminal offence and could result in a prison sentence of up to five years.

erolz

Message Posted:
24/02/2012 19:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 165 in Discussion

Yep PB yet more information provided by Andreas Neocleous & Co LLC which the Britishs Government do publish but then explicitly take no responsibility for it's accuracy or the competance or probity of any firm/advocate or organisation which would include Andreas Neocleous & Co LLC, the entity that provides the information.

Still suits your agenda I guess.

Interesting that Mssrs Andreas Neocleous & Co LLC do not seem to think it is revevant to mention any of the results from the more recent rulings from the ECHR re the validilty of the IPC in the north and what that may mean for those hwo have purchased disputed property in the North. I wonder why that is ?

Bradus

Message Posted:
24/02/2012 19:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 165 in Discussion

Recently updated information from the British Government identifying current problems

*Land or property may, before or after contract, have new mortgages, loans or claims placed upon it by the developer or land owner. Please be particularly careful when dealing with this type of purchase.

* Being unable to obtain permission to purchase (north)

* Lawyers also acting for vendors or builders therefore not independent

* Building taking place without the correct planning permissions/building permits (e.g. electricity or water)

* Fluctuations in currency and interest rates affecting mortgages

* Payment plans/fees not being included in the initial contract

* Difficulty in obtaining certificates of final completion

* Difficulty in obtaining title deeds

* Difficulty in obtaining redress after problems are identified

philbailey

Message Posted:
24/02/2012 19:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 165 in Discussion

Sorry msg 13,

I hope you explain that the people with mortages on their homes

or the ones going for auction

or G Robbs buyers or the Orams

Hector

Message Posted:
24/02/2012 19:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 165 in Discussion

trueshrimp

May I say welcome to the forum and well done on asking questions before you bought property.

I think you will soon learn from this forum, if you haven't done so already, that buying property in North Cyprus, IMHO is so dangerous financially as to render it a non starter. I really regret having to say that but it's the truth unfortunately.

erolz

Message Posted:
24/02/2012 20:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 165 in Discussion

What I explain PB , if asked, are the facts. The fact is to date only one buyer of disputed property has lost out because of the disputed nature of it's title. Many many thousands of buyers North and South have lost out because of a myriad of other reasons. This is the simple truth. Disputed nature of title on some properties in the North is a rsik and always has been for a buyer, but statisticaly it is to date an insignifcant one compare with the many many other risks both North and South.

I know your agenda requires you to overplay and distort the risk related to disputed title specifically so it is just unforatunate for you and that agenda that reality to date is 'loss because of disputed titled to date - one, loss both north and south because of other reasons - thoudands and probably 10's of thousands.

Still lets not let rality get in the way of your agenda shall we PB ?

hadenough

Message Posted:
24/02/2012 20:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 165 in Discussion

Dont buy

Just rent I know its dead money but its a high risk

beautiful country beautiful people but do not trust the advocates, banks or any officials

so sorry to have to say this

philbailey

Message Posted:
24/02/2012 20:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 165 in Discussion

So msg17, you agree

do not buy in Cyprus

andre514

Message Posted:
24/02/2012 20:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 165 in Discussion

message 7: yes, but only theoretically IMHO

TRNCvictim

Message Posted:
24/02/2012 20:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 165 in Discussion

erolz so far only one family have lost their home through disputed title, (thats still one to many, ask the Orams how they feel)! many more have lost their homes because of the corrupt System, corrupt Government, corrupt Builders, corrupt Landowners, corrupt Banks, corrupt Estate Agents, and corrupt Lawyers!

It's bloody endemic, not just in the North but also in the South!

Don't buy anything either North or South Cyprus! Stay Sane and Rent!

Then you can walk away with your life, brain, & life savings intact!

Let all the corrupters continue to corrupt each other

Bradus

Message Posted:
24/02/2012 20:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 165 in Discussion

Whilst one has to recognise the problems that could come with any future settlement, the real problem is the high level of risk associated with buying property in the TRNC and the possible loss of your money because of the lack of effective laws.

There are no certainties that it will work out for you. You could, as so many have, pay in full for a property you will never own or worse still see it auctioned to pay off the builders debts. On the positive side you could end up with an apartment or villa that will bring you many years of happiness.

Do you like gambling?

erolz

Message Posted:
24/02/2012 20:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 165 in Discussion

PB if your advice to buyers is only worry about 'dipsuted title' on some properties in the North in proprotion to the number of actual people who have lost because of this and thus worry 10's of thousands of times more about all of the other problems that have caused people to loose money buying property in the Cyprus, then we indeed agree.

However we both know that your agenda is not 'do not buy property anywhere in Cyprus' but is in in fact 'do not buy disputed property in the North'. That is we both know that if reality of your actual posting history is to be our guide. Then again reality so often does not matter when 'agenda' is the object do you not think ?

andre514

Message Posted:
24/02/2012 20:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 165 in Discussion

ignore the threats of greek cypriot spoilers

the problems have little or nothing to do with the "cyprus question"

but there are real bargains to be had right now

if your interest is genuine, rent for a year

Hector

Message Posted:
24/02/2012 21:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 165 in Discussion

trueshrimp

What do you think now?

rowlo

Message Posted:
24/02/2012 21:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 165 in Discussion

theres bargains to be had , if you have spare cash .

northcyprus74

Message Posted:
24/02/2012 21:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 165 in Discussion

Love all the negativity, how many of you own a property?

Also can anyone REALLY see TURKEY allowing land to be given back? Turks are very patriotic and to allow land in which blood has been shed to be given back to the south is something in which will never happen, see it as how the brits went to the falk lands to just prove a point

But this has now become a national PRIDE on a very large scale....

Is buying in south cyprus, spain etc etc safe no......... msj 1 do your homework there are great properties out here just take each step slowly....

philbailey

Message Posted:
24/02/2012 21:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 165 in Discussion

Msg 27, well I think trnc victim and polly marples

both thought they had bought

when you say own, do you mean with deeds?

And you are right the IPC will sort out the claims

Bradus

Message Posted:
24/02/2012 21:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 165 in Discussion

Northcyprus74, paints a rosy picture. If you were to double click on his name and read the older posts you will see why.

He asks "How many of you own a property"?

Very few but had you said how many have paid for a property but don't own one, you would have been nearer the truth. Sorry Rowlo, I know you are very positive but despite this you also fall into this category too.

Agree, South Cyprus is no better than the North but Spain has tightened up the laws surrounding property purchase, mostly as a result of loss of sales and the impact on its construction industry. It is now without a shadow of doubt much safer. Lets hope Cyprus follows their lead and takes constructive action to stop the terrible reputation it has gained (self-inflicted) surrounding property scams.

Ed1957

Message Posted:
24/02/2012 21:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 165 in Discussion

Beware of UNWINable situations with estate agents

TRNCvictim

Message Posted:
24/02/2012 22:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 165 in Discussion

northcyprus74 (mess 27) "sigh"

(Hundreds of victims) don't own a property because of all the corruption! "sigh"

Turkey couldn't careless about the TRNC! It's a little itch on it's elbow! as for it being a National PRIDE on a very large scale? you want to go to the nearest Turkish Embassy and talk to the officals there, who will give you a cup of Turkish tea or Coffee, pretend to scratch the itch, and like the TRNC Government, walk away, and you will never hear from them again!

NO! South Cyprus is NO better, as for Spain? only people who have bought there can tell you that! why not post on a Spanish Forum to find out?

If another idiot comes on this forum and tell's anyone to do their homework after all these years! and there are "GREAT PROPERTIES" out here in the TRNC!!! I will despair, if there is any intelligent life in the TRNC at all!

Mind you after receiving a couple of E Mails from a "businessman" in the TRNC! I do realise intelligence is in short supply over th

TRNCvictim

Message Posted:
24/02/2012 22:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 165 in Discussion

As usual Bradus your ahead of me! another muliple id :-( It's "The Big Fat Gypsy Man" in disguise

northcyprus74

Message Posted:
24/02/2012 22:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 165 in Discussion

TRNCvictim I presume your name says it all??? You brought out here and ended up with no deeds? Unfortunate yes, but the TRNC goverment also has put many measures in place to prevent such issues as have Spain...................

As for the TRNC being an itch on Turkeys elbow, then how come to this very day have they not walked away????

Tut tut tut Turkey have allot to gain from the island, the likes of CRATOS, NOAH'S ARK and many more business from Turkey don't just open up over here for the sake of it.

Unfortunately FRAUD and wrong doing happens in all other places in the world as well as North Cyprus but due to the small population it seems to stick out more. statistically there are more people who have fraudulently been left without a property in Europe then this unrecognized country

Would you buy a plot of land from someone you dont know with a 3d picture in an unrecognized country? Or would you buy a property with a deeds?

TRNCvictim

Message Posted:
24/02/2012 23:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 165 in Discussion

You say it all with "North Cyprus is a small population it certainly does stick out more"! It's so small It's incestuous

But your statement that MORE people have fraudulently been left without a property in the "REST OF EUROPE" is laughable............... Europe is a very large place!

I bought a plot of land from a criminal in 2003 with a small house (I agree I didn't know the political or corrupt situation then)! I'm a little more knowledgeable now

You STILL can't buy a property with DEEDS in 2012 in the TRNC without Permission to Purchase If you are an alien! (a human being from another country other that the TRNC)! I would only buy a property (after learning my lesson) with DEEDS anywhere in the world if and when the DEEDS are exchanged for the MONEY paid at the same time! anything else with or without 3d pictures in either an unrecognized or RECOGNIZED COUNTRY IS FRAUD! and to my knowledge only happens in Cyprus?

The Fraud & Racial Descriminatory Capital of the Wor

northcyprus74

Message Posted:
25/02/2012 00:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 165 in Discussion

you could open a company, 51% shareholder being a Cypriot

then purchase a property, with the company.... upon the property being put into the company you can transfer shares into the foreigners name making them the owner problem free.... this could have been done 10 years ago TRNCvictim shame research was not done before your purchase....

The whole process wouldn't take more then 30 days

Incestuous? Bit harsh but you would need to look into the history of the island and you would need to be very naive to come to that conclusion, could send you a few links to help

Not sure what you purchased, small house on some land??? Guess you really made a mess of your situation, something easily preventable if proper research was conducted tut tut God knows what kind of a mess you would have got yourself into if you purchased entirely of plan!

If you don't like the island or its people Pegasus are doing fairly good deals at the moment

northcyprus74

Message Posted:
25/02/2012 00:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 165 in Discussion

The advice of getting deeds into your name was just one of many quick solutions which any smart lawyer would advise you on !

So not having deeds issued straight away is not as true as you make it out to be....

reyntj

Message Posted:
25/02/2012 06:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 165 in Discussion

ive never seen anybody mention this but its likely the trnc government allow all these problems to persist so property prices dont sky rocket and become unaffordable for tc locals.

i bet if all these problems where removed this forum would be full of posts from existing members moaning about the cost of property and inflation due and all the russians who have moved here and the fact that local wages have trebled !!!!!

Bradus

Message Posted:
25/02/2012 13:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 165 in Discussion

What a load of bull.

So to buy safely in the TRNC you have to start up a company with another TC who would be a 51% shareholder. All this says to me is that to be safe you need to go to extremes and lots more additional expense (look at the cost of doing this and not just the initial setup but annual taxes) What a ridiculous suggestion. Particularly as you still don't own the property as the shareholder owns 51% of it. Such suggestions do nothing to reassure prospective buyers but highlight the necessity to take extreme action against fraudulent behaviour and corruption.

What will Estate Agents, Advocates and Property Managers be thinking of next to tempt buyers? Perhaps the way forward is to promote a no deeds, no money, procedure and that way there will be no need to invent silly new businesses just to purchase a house. Or is that to simple and safeguards the buyers a little too much and stops fraudulent behaviour?

fryingpan

Message Posted:
25/02/2012 13:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 165 in Discussion

the new greek/eu ruling mentioned in cyprus today brings a whole new chapter to buying in TRNC,especially if you still own property in the EU, this needs fresh info if you wish to buy and be protected,as you would if you purchased in the EU,food for thought

walkerscott

Message Posted:
25/02/2012 13:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 165 in Discussion

http://no-deeds-no-money.moonfruit.com/

Rent for 3 years first and then decide!

northcyprus74

Message Posted:
25/02/2012 13:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 41 of 165 in Discussion

Oh Bradus!!! Uou would own the whole company, freeze it meaning no annual taxes & fees involved around 3,000 TL done safely on a number of occasions.

fryingpan

Message Posted:
25/02/2012 13:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 42 of 165 in Discussion

the buyers of property inTRNC,will never be free........

Until the entrails of the last fraudelant estate agent is used to strangle the last fraudelant builder/bank/lawer/owner

andre514

Message Posted:
25/02/2012 14:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 43 of 165 in Discussion

oh and "trueshrimp"...

when you post your "worries" using various aliases,

DO remember to hit the shift key so "i" becomes "I"

'cos it does rather mark you out as the same person!

and since TRUST is the only thing that could ever help

to reunify cyprus peaceably you are shooting yourself

in the foot, as it were

andre

andre514

Message Posted:
25/02/2012 17:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 44 of 165 in Discussion

and predictably ...no replies from the enigmatic "little shrimp"

probably tucking into his moussaka and dreaming his dreams

andre514

Message Posted:
25/02/2012 17:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 45 of 165 in Discussion

I can't call him true shrimp 'coz I don't believe he is honest!

walkerscott

Message Posted:
25/02/2012 18:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 46 of 165 in Discussion

northcyprus74

please explain it in full for us all to see or send me an email as up to now NO solicitor has given me the assurances that it is secure ... none, and i have asked what were the best referrals.

let us all hear about the whole procedure, no names, just the whole procedure with all costs as it would certainly help others.

with thanks

john

walkerscott

Message Posted:
25/02/2012 18:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 47 of 165 in Discussion

http://no-deeds-no-money.moonfruit.com/#/trusts/4547650393

martinD41

Message Posted:
25/02/2012 18:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 48 of 165 in Discussion

Buying (parting with money for goods )in TRNC is one thing, Owning is quite another...

andre514

Message Posted:
25/02/2012 18:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 49 of 165 in Discussion

messages 47/48

yes it's sadly all too true ...and:

many of the problems are present to some extent in other mediterranean property markets

that is why the advice given on cypruss 44 is so valuable eg take heed, maybe rent first etc

I guess many people wished they were forewarned about all the challenges, before buying

but now re-unification is now looking so far-fetched that is at least one unknown banished

suehowlittle

Message Posted:
25/02/2012 19:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 50 of 165 in Discussion

I am pretty sure that trueshrimp has got the message by now!

Bet they wished they had never asked. Talk about opening Pandora's Box!

Hope it will help save some misery.

Woodspeckie

Message Posted:
25/02/2012 20:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 51 of 165 in Discussion

andre514. Just another poster with other id's who knows he can get reaction.

Turtle

Message Posted:
25/02/2012 20:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 52 of 165 in Discussion

Be interesting to hear from anyone who has bought in the last 12 months ?

TRNCvictim

Message Posted:
25/02/2012 20:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 53 of 165 in Discussion

Is there anyone daft enough to have bought in the last 12 months?

Turtle

Message Posted:
25/02/2012 20:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 54 of 165 in Discussion

I am sure there are plenty of "daft buggers" about Jenny just wondered if anyone on here has bought.

andre514

Message Posted:
25/02/2012 20:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 55 of 165 in Discussion

suehowlittle,

I think we more or less established trueshrimp is not a prospective buyer

TRNCvictim

Message Posted:
25/02/2012 20:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 56 of 165 in Discussion

andre514 (mess 55)

Thank god

bazzagirl

Message Posted:
25/02/2012 21:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 57 of 165 in Discussion

My husband and I love the TRNC, we got caught out buying a beautiful duplex apartment, we were so happy, but then the devedloper and maintenance company showed their real spots, greed, after owning it for 5 years we had permission to buy but no deeds were forthcoming, although year after year we were promised them, the maintenance company up there to-date is a joke you pay a fortune for nothing, they pick or collude the committee ie make them feel important by wining and dining these idiots at so called functions etc. and they fall for it, so you have no chance extortianate maintenance fees, no deeds as the maintenance company works with the developer, hence a lot of losers, how sad! How sad , greed makes a lot of people so miserable, when, it does not have to be like that.

ps do not buy at The Sea Vistas complex at Catalkoy x

suehowlittle

Message Posted:
25/02/2012 21:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 58 of 165 in Discussion

bazzagirl: I am very sorry for you. What a nightmare it must be - I am beginning to wonder now whether it is all being manipulated (conspiracy theory). Perhaps someone thinks we will all, in the end, run out of health, life, money or sanity and just leave.

Never thought I would be so negative, I have been optimistic for years but have now taken off MY rose tinted spectacles.

All we have is a temporary time and space in the sunshine.

But I will say this: It would take the Greek or Turkish army with their tanks to get me out of my home!

shrimp

Message Posted:
25/02/2012 23:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 59 of 165 in Discussion

I am glad trueshrimp has gone to ground, there is only room for one shrimp here.......xx

andre514

Message Posted:
26/02/2012 00:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 60 of 165 in Discussion

er, shouldn't these discussion be in russian nowadays?

.....I mean are there any genuine buyers from britain?

blade

Message Posted:
26/02/2012 14:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 61 of 165 in Discussion

From what i have been told they are treating the Russians the same way regarding property.

I have a friend who speaks the language and she tells me all about the Russian forums and how they also come to 44 with their scams. All because they are married to someone and living here, they will actually cheat their own people . They offer property sales, rentals, holidays, cleaning , ect ect ect.

Sad but true.

Also if you have advertised your property for sale on here, it will be on a Russian language forum for sale at a lot more money. She has seen mine and one of my friends,lol.

Sad but true.

bazzagirl

Message Posted:
26/02/2012 19:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 62 of 165 in Discussion

SueHowLittle how right u are most people who buy are retired or older people, when deeds are not forthcoming and look like they never will be and as wills are as corrupt as everything else can be in the TRNC, at the end of the day who will benefit from all these properties, the locals and the Turks when this enevitabyt becomes part of Turkey.

The developer is laughing all the way to the bank as these people (who will never be the owners of their properties legally) pay extortianate maintenance fees to keep the site for him) some people are so naive, but i still love the TRNC and have brought a property with deeds in place, and no hooky maintenace company, or committee to deal with, I regard myself as one of the lucky ones, as i was able to get out, thank God.

martinD41

Message Posted:
26/02/2012 20:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 63 of 165 in Discussion

And when the inevitable happens (we become annexed to turkey)your deeds will be worth what precisely?

philbailey

Message Posted:
26/02/2012 20:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 64 of 165 in Discussion

When does the IPC close ?

Turtle

Message Posted:
26/02/2012 21:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 65 of 165 in Discussion

Probably when the talks finish,........ that could be anytime then

timaloy

Message Posted:
26/02/2012 21:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 66 of 165 in Discussion

why are they called the talks ,when no one talks

apathy or irony?

trueshrimp

Message Posted:
03/03/2012 19:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 67 of 165 in Discussion

to all how replyed to my message with reference to buying in north cyprus -

i have read all your messages and thanks a lot i was surprised at all the commments you had to say.

many thanks once again. hope you all enjoy your propertys and renting. i still am confused.

dear shrimp i am still here not gone underground ( joke ) xx regards: trueshrimp

thanks to all for messages on forum

trueshrimp

Message Posted:
03/03/2012 19:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 68 of 165 in Discussion

to all how replyed to my message with reference to buying in north cyprus -

i have read all your messages and thanks a lot i was surprised at all the commments you had to say.

many thanks once again. hope you all enjoy your propertys and renting. i still am confused.

dear shrimp i am still here not gone underground ( joke ) xx regards: trueshrimp

thanks to all for messages on forum

trueshrimp

Message Posted:
03/03/2012 19:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 69 of 165 in Discussion

suehowlittle.

i cant access your e - mail address

trueshrimp

philbailey

Message Posted:
03/03/2012 19:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 70 of 165 in Discussion

Some banks may have some cheap properties soon

northcyprus74

Message Posted:
03/03/2012 19:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 71 of 165 in Discussion

Msj 1

I can assure you that there is no danger if you do your homework

Please email me off board and I can lead you in the right direction, all the unfortunate people whom purchased here and lost / didn't have there properties delivered are very unfortunate. However there are more laws in place which protect YOU as the purchaser.

TRNCvictim has had a bad occurrence as have the K5 and AGA buyers but please have a look at the dates these people purchased.... They all brought during the boom when no proper laws had been put in place, most developers now wont let you register a contract until the purchaser pays at least 50%, this is due to the registration law seriously protects you as the purchasers and freezes the property from any 3rd party!!!!

trueshrimp

Message Posted:
03/03/2012 20:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 72 of 165 in Discussion

still confused

northcyprus74

Message Posted:
03/03/2012 21:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 73 of 165 in Discussion

trueshrimp

To cut along debate short, it is safe to buy here as safe it is to buy in southern cyprus, spain and so on .......

Just double check things and make sure you use a good lawyer and that the agent you use is looking after your interest.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
03/03/2012 21:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 74 of 165 in Discussion

trueshrimp:

Has the penny not yet dropped that 'northcyprus74' is offering advice 'tongue in cheek'?

If he isn't, he certainly needs to wise up!

thedoghouse

Message Posted:
03/03/2012 21:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 75 of 165 in Discussion

true very true do not be put of and it is a good time to buy here with lots selling at less than they paid

trueshrimp

Message Posted:
03/03/2012 21:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 76 of 165 in Discussion

many thanks to all that are sending me messages, i am taking on board everything everyone says.

please keep your comments coming, i have to try and filter the non sensibles out.

thanks to all once again

trueshrimp

Message Posted:
03/03/2012 21:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 77 of 165 in Discussion

all the comments i have had up todate are pretty negative about buying in north cyprus.

but i am still reading all your comments and will continue to do so till july

ta : to everyone

Hector

Message Posted:
03/03/2012 22:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 78 of 165 in Discussion

The best advice would be to pay a visit to the Home Buyers Pressure Group any Tuesday, 12 noon, Pia Bella Hotel in Kyrenia. Almost certainly would be the most valuable couple of hours you'll spend and it's free. Don't even think of looking at properties until you have.

poppies

Message Posted:
03/03/2012 23:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 79 of 165 in Discussion

Wow guys!! I don't know whether I'm glad or wish I hadn't found this forum now! Only yesterday, I came across this site on the net... http://caesar-resort.com/index.html

I have wanted to buy a place abroad, as an investment, for a long time.

I went through this with a fine tooth comb, and it seems genuine and okay. I was going to approach my bank tomorrow, with looking at raising the money against my own home, (which is bought and paid for now). I have a relative who has built their own home in Limassol, so I know about the "iffy" business with deeds etc. but because this Caesar's complex has been around for a few years now, I am presuming it must be safe. Am I wrong? Has anyone bought here, or know anyone who has? I'd be greatful for any info thanks. I am just a mrs. ordinary, by the way, not a high flier or a business woman.

elko2

Message Posted:
03/03/2012 23:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 80 of 165 in Discussion

In Famagusta I can vouch for Noyanlar or Doveç firms. they build and give title deeds without any undue delays. My sister and my son bought from Doveç and they are both very happy.

ismet

poppies

Message Posted:
04/03/2012 00:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 81 of 165 in Discussion

Thank you for the reply Elko. I would be buying as a foreign (european) non resident. Are your sister and son nationals?

laptajack

Message Posted:
04/03/2012 04:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 82 of 165 in Discussion

True shrimp are you "sand grown" ?

philbailey

Message Posted:
04/03/2012 15:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 83 of 165 in Discussion

Msg81, I would imagine so

trueshrimp

Message Posted:
04/03/2012 16:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 84 of 165 in Discussion

laptajack

M.F.C. ( shrimps ) supporter - trueshrimp

trueshrimp

Message Posted:
04/03/2012 16:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 85 of 165 in Discussion

elko 2

its good to here a good comment about buying in north cyprus ( famagusta ) with your sister & son hope it all turns out o.k. for your family.

trueshrimp

Message Posted:
04/03/2012 16:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 86 of 165 in Discussion

poppies

i agree with you i found this forum about two weeks ago and i was shocked about the comments received about buying in cyprus

trueshrimp

Message Posted:
04/03/2012 16:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 87 of 165 in Discussion

hector

if you go to - home buyers pressure group meeting in kyrenia ( hotel ) on tuesdays i would be gratefull if you could give me a feed back.

thanks

Woodspeckie

Message Posted:
04/03/2012 16:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 88 of 165 in Discussion

I think you only go there when you have a problem buying in NC.

trueshrimp

Message Posted:
04/03/2012 16:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 89 of 165 in Discussion

northcyprus 74

how is north cyprus 74 ?

i cant retrieve your e - mail address for info and direction

philbailey

Message Posted:
04/03/2012 16:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 90 of 165 in Discussion

Read the british foreign office advice

trueshrimp

Message Posted:
04/03/2012 16:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 91 of 165 in Discussion

woodspeckie

thanks for that.

Turtle

Message Posted:
04/03/2012 17:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 92 of 165 in Discussion

Msg 80 Ismet, have your family bought exchange or Turkish title.

I ask because on certain forums the South based posters say that TC,s do not buy exchange ?

PoliticoRon

Message Posted:
04/03/2012 17:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 93 of 165 in Discussion

Trueshrimp - I have never worked out most of the regular posters on this board and if the problems they have are justified. I, and my parents, both bought off plan in 2005 in the Kavanlar phases in Alsancak. Beautiful apartments and big for what you pay for them, a similar sized apartment in Italy was much nearer quarter of a million Euros ans ours cost £50,000 plus a few add ons. There were some frustrating delays, like months waiting on a electricity meter coming from Turkey. Our advocates were Naomi Mehmet Partners and the Kocan was fairly quick. The apartments have wonderful views of the sea and the mountains and we, and dozens of friends love visiting and my parents spend long spells there.

Yes, there are risks, but you get a lot for your money and I am sure you will love TRNC

Cheers

Politico

trueshrimp

Message Posted:
04/03/2012 17:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 94 of 165 in Discussion

policoron.

many thanks for your comments its good to hear good results on buyng ( their isnt to many on this poster )

i will take on board your references.

ta

Isabella

Message Posted:
04/03/2012 20:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 95 of 165 in Discussion

I would say definitely buy in Northern Cyprus. We did 4 years ago and have never regretted it. There are not many unspoilt Mediterranean countries. We knew there could possibly be probems and when we decided to go ahead and purchase we decided on a price which if things did not work that although we would not want to lose the money we would be prepared if it did happen.

It did not happen. We first ensured we had a reputable solicitor and we looked on the British Website for our solicitor. She has been absolutely first-class. We bought off-plan which can be difficult. We felt that our developer would deliver the goods and they have. You don't have to be in a rush buying in another country, but eventually they do get there.

When there was the building boom there were rogue builders, but I think the ones still building are as reputable as any other country.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
04/03/2012 21:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 96 of 165 in Discussion

trueshrimp - are you really going to risk 'putting your head on the chopping block'?

Obviously you're one of these 'it can't happen to me!' people, who after they've bought absolutely rue the day!

There's a very old saying about this island told to me by a former commander of the British Bases - he said:

'Never ever put a penny into Cyprus that you aren't prepared to lose with a smile!'

You need to download the British Foreign and Commonwealth website and carefully read the warnings!

TRNCvictim

Message Posted:
04/03/2012 21:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 97 of 165 in Discussion

Isabella I would definately say DON'T BUY A DOG KENNEL in the TRNC until you are sure! you were obviously lucky so many didn't have your LUCK!

Tenakoutou knows what he is talking about, read the British Foreign & Commonwealth Office website, tread very carefully, Cyprus is full of Land Mines!

I really don't want another victim to ever be in our position, I hope trueshrimp understands the chopping block can be very bloody!

Isabella

Message Posted:
04/03/2012 22:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 98 of 165 in Discussion

I think the British are the last people to give warnings. If you look at the history of Cyprus you will find that the UK has contributed to North/South issue.

TRNCvictim

Message Posted:
04/03/2012 22:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 99 of 165 in Discussion

The trouble comes Isabella when the British bad apples collude with the Cypriot ones that are rotting... and if you happen to put your foot on a Land Mine! God help you :-(

poppies

Message Posted:
04/03/2012 23:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 100 of 165 in Discussion

Trueshrimp.

I was hoping to send a message to you, but because I am so new, I am not allowed to do this (I think).

Please stay on board and keep me/us posted as to whether you go and make enquiries etc.

girne 29

Message Posted:
04/03/2012 23:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 101 of 165 in Discussion

Isabella

Confused ,You say "we decided on a price which if things did not work that although we would not want to lose the money we would be prepared if it did happen."

Hardly an endorsement of your earlier comment of --"definitely buy in Northern Cyprus". If you were prepared to maybe lose your money ,then you must have taken on board experiences of others who had already done so, and priced that in,so perhaps "definately " in your case really is hindsight and at the time was more like "should be alright but have priced in losing my money, just in case I am one of the unfortunate ones.

Would it not be better to say "we did all right ,so for US it was definately worth buying,but many have not,so I cannot say"definitely buy in Northern Cyprus" neither can I say "definately" dont buy.

Trueshrimp ,I think you are making the right decision to buy.Ignore all those that would tell you otherwise,

philbailey

Message Posted:
04/03/2012 23:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 102 of 165 in Discussion

Could be a few cheap buys on K5 soon

poppies

Message Posted:
05/03/2012 00:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 103 of 165 in Discussion

I am a little confused now!

Is the problem that people who have bought did not receive their deeds or is it that, if they have, these title deeds are worthless?

How about some positives from people who HAVE bought and actually received their title deeds and everything is ticketyboo.

laptajack

Message Posted:
05/03/2012 01:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 104 of 165 in Discussion

Re message 84..

I believe they built a new ground, and moved from Christie Park?

Any way listen to what people are saying, come and visit, and listen some more.

There are some very well informed, views on this forum, keep reading.

Most of all come and visit, and speak to people that have done it.

Then make your mind up.

Lor49

Message Posted:
05/03/2012 04:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 105 of 165 in Discussion

Re Message 103

Ours is a positive outcome, we bought a 10 year old bungalow, the previous owners were British and the Kocan was in their name. Our solicitor, and the estate agent we bought through was fantastic. It took 2 years for the PTP to come through, the Kocan is now ready for us to collect from our solicitor when we arrive in May.

We have been lucky, we read about the nightmares that happened to others on 44, and this made us decide not to buy off plan at the very start.

Lor

poppies

Message Posted:
05/03/2012 04:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 106 of 165 in Discussion

Well thanks for that Lor. Glad to know it's not all doom.

Is it buying off plan from the developers that is the risky stuff then, as in, they may double sell/withold deeds etc.?

Best to buy from a private seller, through an agent? This is what I'm feeling when reading up on it...

Lor49

Message Posted:
05/03/2012 08:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 107 of 165 in Discussion

There is definately more risk with off plan, I wouldnt dream of buying off plan. I am pretty sure that I wouldnt buy as an investment either, our plan is to retire and stay, things may change along the way, but for the moment that is what we are aiming for.

Isabella

Message Posted:
05/03/2012 09:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 108 of 165 in Discussion

Girne29 - our fear before we bought and had time in NC came from people in the UK, most who had never been to NC, and the bad press NC was getting at that time. Four years ago and now are very different times in NC.

The more we looked into purchasing in NC the more confident we became, especially after discussions with our solicitor and the less notice we took of people here in the UK.

Whichever country you choose you will always find the rogue builders around - I have heard similar problems from friends who bought in Spain and Tenerife.

I would definitely say that if you like NC and would like to buy here go ahead, but get good advice from a solicitor. There are some lovely locations and very good value properties.

bazzagirl

Message Posted:
05/03/2012 10:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 109 of 165 in Discussion

I would definately advise against buying on a complex, where there are maintenance companies and ccommittees, they are all in it to rip you off, especially when they work for the developer. Do not touch the Sea Vistas complex at Catalkoy.

Sandford

Message Posted:
05/03/2012 14:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 110 of 165 in Discussion

Trueshrimp

I have purchased a resale property within the last 12 months that has not been beset by the very real dangers experienced by many of those who post so negatively on this forum. Was I just lucky, I do not think so, as I, to use that much maligned phrase, did research, stayed away from 'off plan' properties, used a decent solicitor (Naomi Mehmet) and only looked at resale properties where the kocan existed and was actually seen to be in the vendors name. I made a number of viewing visits, in the winter and summer, chose my location carefully so as to ensure it had what I wanted.

There are genuine risks associated with buying a property in TRNC, as there are in the UK, Spain or anywhere else. Here it is being left without any deeds in your name for a property that you have paid for in full. However, you can greatly minimise the pitfalls by ignoring the obvious problem properties that cause posters on here to be so negative. Good luck with your proposed purchase.

brother

Message Posted:
05/03/2012 14:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 111 of 165 in Discussion

Sandford;Msg.110 - I would be interested to know if you were at all concerned about any potential "post settlement" issues and whether/how you sought any mitigation strategies as appropriate.

Please feel free to contact me via my email address in my profile if you wish.

Sandford

Message Posted:
05/03/2012 15:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 112 of 165 in Discussion

Brother msg 111 - I honestly only had a 'passing concern' about any post settlement issues as IMHO I doubt that this will actually ever happen in my lifetime. If it does, I consider it unlikely that my rocky piece of exchange land in Esentepe will be high on the list of those with an agenda and further consider this very sort of issue will prove one of the major stumbling blocks to any settlement. I also feel that Turkey is highly unlikely to ever 'give up' the TRNC in any true control sense of the word. That is only my view of course.

As to any "mitigation strategies" to leave me less exposed than any others (which I assume you mean) then apart from a few 'reduction' aspects within my purchase contract price to offset issues with my PTP and deed transfer costs, I have none as these are risks mostly beyond my control, just like some of the mortgage lenders in the UK who have suddenly hiked up the costs associated with mortgage repayments, for which there also seems little redress.

brother

Message Posted:
05/03/2012 19:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 113 of 165 in Discussion

Sandford;Msg.112 - Many thanks. This has given me some more insight into how people think through the exchange land based property acquisition. I always believed that the mere thought of possible continued hassle (based on real or consured-up enduring right) by any GC owners of the land/property would be far too great a concern.

Sandford

Message Posted:
05/03/2012 20:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 114 of 165 in Discussion

Msg 113; brother - my thoughts, and that is all they were and are, concentrated themselves more on acquiring a property in a place I wished to live and retire, one that had deeds that could more likely than not be transferred into my name, rather than pondering the misjustice, or otherwise, in the allocation of exchange land in TRNC and ROC. That this land was in my case, 'sold' by the (potentially disputed?) owner to a builder, who built properties upon it that were then purchased by persons who obtained their PTP and kocans in their names, is a similar situation I expect to those who returned to the South and took over land that once belonged to another. I accept that if a "settlement" is reached, one whereby both land in the ROC and in TRNC is ordered to be returned, then I might in all liklihood concern myself with the possibility of hassle based upon the enduring rights you allude to. Until then, I will continue quite legally enjoying my property and life here.

Nothing personal

bertieboss

Message Posted:
06/03/2012 02:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 115 of 165 in Discussion

Buying in TRNC whilst the political uncertainty prevails - is "bonkers".

And that is before you consider the crooks and scammers!!

davpat

Message Posted:
06/03/2012 10:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 116 of 165 in Discussion

I'm with you on this one Sandford,well said!

David

brother

Message Posted:
06/03/2012 12:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 117 of 165 in Discussion

Msg.114; Indeed, nothing personal taken and again I do appreciate the insight into your particular decision-making process on this matter.

A minor typo' was introduced into my last message: "consured-up" intended as "conjured-up"

PoshinDevon

Message Posted:
06/03/2012 14:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 118 of 165 in Discussion

Sandford

Likewise we have purchased a fully furnished resale property in the last 4 months, private sale with no estate agent, builder or developer involved...the summary you have posted is exactly how we moved forward with our purchase. We had a strict budget (which many posters riddiculed saying we would not get anything at such a price - they were so very wrong), type and location of property, deeds available etc and used an advocate that came from personal recommendation and thought through everything carefully. Like you we did consider any potential (unlikely as it seems) post settlement issues. Whilst not yet perfect the law has been tightened in the past few years re property purchase and with the bargains available we were on balance happy that the advantages outwieghed the risk.

To be honest we took on board all the comments but got fed up reading the same message of doom and gloom being posted by the same people at every opportunity.

Nice to read some positivity

philbailey

Message Posted:
06/03/2012 14:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 119 of 165 in Discussion

Msg118, so you have PTp already ?

Sandford

Message Posted:
06/03/2012 14:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 120 of 165 in Discussion

PoshinDevon

I am glad that things are progressing positively for you and would echo your final comments as I too share this view.

I also accept and understand that the majority of negative posts come from people who were swindled by builders and others within the system, which is why I did not go into my purchase with my "eyes wide shut" as some suggest must be the case.

There are indeed bargains available, but as shown by both of us, probably only if you stick to a resale property with kocans in the vendors name, and where 'Final Approval' is already signed off and PTP previously granted.

Bertieboss msg 115: I may be "bonkers" in your eyes, but in my world, I am happy, contented and sane. It also appears that there are more of us 'nutters' around than most posters suggest.

Sandford

Message Posted:
06/03/2012 15:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 121 of 165 in Discussion

PB msg 119: In four months lol !!!

I think what we are suggesting is that with a PTP granted to the previous owner, who had also been issued a kocan in their name, that the risks associated with PTP being denied are much lower than someone entering this process with a 'new build' for the first time.

Sandford

Message Posted:
06/03/2012 16:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 122 of 165 in Discussion

back to the top

PoshinDevon

Message Posted:
06/03/2012 19:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 123 of 165 in Discussion

Sandford re message 120 - Agree 100%. I started our search last Oct and the amount of negativity from a few re-occuring names was alomost overwhelming.....but we took all the information on board and used it to help us look out for problems - it was useful. As we had not had to many positive responses we posted again asking specifically only for feedback on those for whom the purchase of a property went well.....we received positive comments on the forum and also many direct to our email offering advice and assistance but still the same names with the same negative comments could not resist in posting again.

Re msg 121 - Again this is correct. The risk is much much lower.

Sandford

Message Posted:
06/03/2012 19:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 124 of 165 in Discussion

PoshinDevon

Thanks.

I have noted that our member for Bromley often posts similar one-liners for which he already knows the answer.

Welcome to the "Bonkers" brigade. Perhaps we should have a picnic for mad people with only one ID!

philbailey

Message Posted:
06/03/2012 21:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 125 of 165 in Discussion

So if PTP was easily granted it is exchange then ?

Max786

Message Posted:
06/03/2012 21:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 126 of 165 in Discussion

It's minefield. Going to have to just toss a coin to decide if i should rent of buy.

If a trnc citizen wants to buy a property, do they need 'permission' also???

TRNCvictim

Message Posted:
06/03/2012 22:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 127 of 165 in Discussion

Max786

"BANG" you hit a minefield!!!

RENT, RENT, & RENT again! If you are a TRNC citizen I would presume you know you don't need Permission to Purchase? but It DOES NOT exclude you from having a mortgage taken out on your home by some unscrupulous developer/builder and some nameless bank taking your home because the builder/developer decided not to pay their mortgage back to the uncrupulous bank! then you won't be protected!

As with unscrupulous UK criminals the TRNC Government protects no-one! only themselves :-(

Sandford

Message Posted:
06/03/2012 23:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 128 of 165 in Discussion

PB msg 125: Not sure if this is addressed to me or PoshinDevon, but either way, I cannot see that either of us have said that we have already received our own PTP's, let alone "easily" nor whatever an "exchange PTP" might be.

I know you can obtain a title deed (kocan), for a property built on what is termed "exchange land", but a PTP is not something exchanged, it is something that you apply to do from the authorities and on a case by case basis, can be denied, mostly with the excuse that it is said to be in close proximity to some Army or military construction. But I suspect you know this already given your almost 3500 posts.

philbailey

Message Posted:
06/03/2012 23:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 129 of 165 in Discussion

I am just worried msg128

you do not end up like K5 or the other 1400

philbailey

Message Posted:
06/03/2012 23:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 130 of 165 in Discussion

I am just worried msg128

you do not end up like K5 or the other 1400

Sandford

Message Posted:
07/03/2012 00:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 131 of 165 in Discussion

PB

I honestly and with real sincerity feel for all those people you mention, but considered that their issue was with corrupt builders, Estate Agents and a system that would not provide them with deeds for properties that they had paid for in full nor the opportunity for fair and proper legal redress.

It was because of this outragious and unfair outcome for many that I restricted myself to searching for a resale property, one where those same issues had already been overcome by the granting of PTP and kocans to the existing owners. This I considered left me much less exposed to the majority of those risks. I am content that I have done as much as I can to minimise this exposure and reduce my risks, albeit that I must wait an unnecessarily lengthy period for deed transfer and PTP.

philbailey

Message Posted:
07/03/2012 00:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 132 of 165 in Discussion

Fingers crossed for you .

PhilUK

Message Posted:
07/03/2012 00:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 133 of 165 in Discussion

philbailey- a question-do you own a property here?

Was just wondering how you got your knowledge of buying here?

philbailey

Message Posted:
07/03/2012 00:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 134 of 165 in Discussion

From "as you say nearly 3500 posts"

and a knowledge of Cyprus

and any half arsed reseaech including the UK foreign office

The auctions of properties

the un-built ones

and the (approx) 1400 re-mortaged properties

oh yes I forgot the Orams

Sandford

Message Posted:
07/03/2012 00:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 135 of 165 in Discussion

Msg 133: I think you have an answer to your first question (no!)

Your second question is answered fully in msg 134.

PoshinDevon

Message Posted:
07/03/2012 01:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 136 of 165 in Discussion

RE msg 131 - Same for us. If the previous owner had PTP granted and also had deeds in their name we felt that it was a safer purchase. Add into this personal recommendation of an advocate, taking the advice of the positive posters and also not willing to over commit our budget meant that the risk in our opinion was much reduced.

We also factored in the vehement negative messages from a very few posters - the same messages repeated over and over at every opportunity - this made us realise that whilst we would be wise to take note of the pitfalls it should not cloud our judgement.

We intend to enjoy our purchase - after having lived on the island for a total of 10 years during the 70s - 90s we know how things operate and whilst at times frustrating its still a great place to be.

Sandford

Message Posted:
07/03/2012 13:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 137 of 165 in Discussion

It seems, in answer to msg 53 and 54, there are

PoshinDevon

Message Posted:
07/03/2012 13:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 138 of 165 in Discussion

I am more than happy to be called a "daft bugger"! Been called a lot worse than this in the past.

I am sure that there are a fair few more of us around.

Out in May...maybe a daft buggers picnic??

PoshinDevon

Message Posted:
07/03/2012 13:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 139 of 165 in Discussion

I am more than happy to be called a "daft bugger"! Been called a lot worse than this in the past.

I am sure that there are a fair few more of us around.

Out in May...maybe a daft buggers picnic??

blade

Message Posted:
07/03/2012 13:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 140 of 165 in Discussion

You have purchased and own nothing until the kochan is in your name.

As for buying the so called exchange land, i just hope you haven't got assets anywhere else in the EU, otherwise you may be in for a rude awakening like the Orams.

Sandford

Message Posted:
07/03/2012 14:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 141 of 165 in Discussion

Blade:

I hear what you say and totally agree that the singular Orams decision was not fair or just. However, it has not been repeated, no similar action has been taken against "exchange land" held by Cypriot Turks in the ROC (which is exactly the same issue), nor the threat to take action against TRNC tourists staying in hotels that were once Greek Cypriot owned in the North.

There are risks associated with most things in life, but I will not fret unduly over this potential issue.

PoshinDevon

Message Posted:
07/03/2012 15:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 142 of 165 in Discussion

We were lucky that we did not purchase 5 years ago in what could be termed the boom years. Everyone was looking to make a quick profit, no doubt this brought out unsavoury characters whether that be estate agents, builders, developers, advocates etc. Add to this the lack of protection offered by laws in place at that time and it was a recipe for disaster. The decision to purchase is however an individual one based on the facts presented. Whether some who made the decison to proceed really understood what they were getting into I would say is debateable. For those looking to purchase now things have moved on,providing you research thoroughly, be consistent in what you want, double check paperwork and ask for evidence every step of the way things should go relatively smoothly. Yes you wait for your PTP but if you dont have a criminal record, the previous owner got PTP and has kocan in their name and other neighbours have PTP/kocan then the risk lessens. I will not be fretting either

philbailey

Message Posted:
07/03/2012 18:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 143 of 165 in Discussion

Msg 141, untill the IPC closes

they are many ECHR cases pending

including a hotelier (who is probally doing it for pubilicity )

Hector

Message Posted:
07/03/2012 19:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 144 of 165 in Discussion

PoshinDevon

"For those looking to purchase now things have moved on,providing you research thoroughly, be consistent in what you want, double check paperwork and ask for evidence every step of the way things should go relatively smoothly."

I take it you think that others who have come to regret ever hearing of North Cyprus, didn't do that?

I wish I had a fiver for every time I've heard this and then seen the tears later.

PoshinDevon

Message Posted:
07/03/2012 19:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 145 of 165 in Discussion

I cannot comment on what checks others made prior to deciding to purchase. Its a personal decision based on the facts as presented at the time. We bought resale from the owner direct, not via an estate agent/developer or third party, an owner who already had their PTP/kocan and also used an advocate who came personally recommended. We researched the original builder and found that others who purchased on same site both foreigners and T. Cypriots also had PTP (if applicable) and kocan.

We have not sold up in the UK and risked everything for a place in the sun (If it goes wrong we only have ourselves to blame and whilst it would be painful we would survive) , would not buy off plan, insisted on a property that owner already had kocan, considered what would happen if any re-unification ever happened, did not over commit and on balance decided to proceed.

There are risks in whatever country the purchase is made, we are comfortable we did all we could to significantly reduce this.

philbailey

Message Posted:
07/03/2012 20:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 146 of 165 in Discussion

So msg 145, is it pre-74 turkish

or a exchange property ?

do you think TRNC victim did not do her homework

be honest it was cheap

PoshinDevon

Message Posted:
07/03/2012 20:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 147 of 165 in Discussion

Re message 146

1. None of your business - we did our research and are comfortable with our purchase

2. No idea what TRNC victim did or did not do. It is not my place to comment.

3. What is cheap to one person is expensive to another

philbailey

Message Posted:
07/03/2012 20:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 148 of 165 in Discussion

So msg145 ,if you were granted PTP so quick

I will draw my own opinion

every one on this forum saw your budget

at least be honest

PoshinDevon

Message Posted:
07/03/2012 22:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 149 of 165 in Discussion

I will now bow out of this conversation as I cannot recaall anywhere that I mentioned I had or had not been granted PTP, so whatever your opinion is I have no idea. I have put our position and we are more than comfortable with it so it is no longer worthwhile discussing further and to be frank none of your business.

We set our budget and requirements and we have not gone outside it - if you believe it to be cheap then so be it - I suggest you look on a few TRNC estate agents sites - you will find a fair number of properties for sale now for substantially less.

Jonholmes

Message Posted:
07/03/2012 23:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 150 of 165 in Discussion

When I worked in Paphos I found more hostility against the ex-pat buyers in Northern Cyprus than the Turkish Cypriots . The seemed to understand that the Cypriots needed to be relocated , but they hated the fact that land was sold on .The majority who I met would welcome an united Cyprus but the land issue was a problem in their eyes .

TRNCvictim

Message Posted:
07/03/2012 23:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 151 of 165 in Discussion

Ahh "Permission to Purchase" PoshinDevon a very difficult aquisition! and until you have "Permision to Purchase "No Deeds"? any sensible victim would not part with any money until they have their Deeds anywhere in the world

But as long as you are comfortable!

Bradus

Message Posted:
08/03/2012 00:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 152 of 165 in Discussion

In all fairness I think Poshindevon have followed the advice given and made some sensible decisions that will have reduced their risks. If they had wanted to completely eliminate any risks then they would have abided by the law of the land and not entered any contractual agreement until they had their PTP. However we know that, despite this being the Governments advice to all buyers, it is almost impossible to abide by. Which seller would wait 2 years for your PTP to be confirmed? So aware that they cannot totally eliminate the risks they sensibly set a realistic and affordable budget (not cheap, simply a reflection of the falling price of property) and chose a property that the owner had Kochan and had previously been granted PTP for.

Poshindevon openly admit that they may encounter problems ahead buying GC property but they take this on board and appear to be fully aware of what could happen. To me this means that they have made a fully informed decision and

Bradus

Message Posted:
08/03/2012 00:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 153 of 165 in Discussion

are fully aware of any possible consequences and will meet these if they occur.

This to me is a sensible way forward. Weigh up the risks and buy fully informed and accept anything that may happen in the future. My worry is not with the Poshindevons who appear to have done their homework but with those that buy and dismiss all the "negative" information given and are swayed by their Advocates and Estate Agents that it is completely safe, when clearly it is not.

To buy or not is every individuals decision..................but it should be based on being fully informed and having to accept the consequences should the worse happen. I think this couple have done just this and I hope they continue to be happy with their holiday home.

Sandford

Message Posted:
08/03/2012 01:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 154 of 165 in Discussion

Msg 143: Phil

Now that you have uncrossed your fingers, and mentioned the UNHCR, perhaps Article 8 right to a Private and family life might be explored as it is in the UK and elsewhere breaching as it does, that implied right. Your "cheap" shot is unwarranted, especially as you have never lived here and you should also be honest.

Msg 144: Hector

Matters have moved on since the 'boom' of 2005+ when buyers outstripped available properties and dubious builders became the norm. Look around you at the derilict, incomplete vsites and you will see that (thankfully) their bubble has burst. Things have improved in 2012 and your reluctance to see that improvement (however small) does you no favours.

Msg 152 and 153: Bradus

Thank you at least for a more balanced post.

Msg 151: Victim

You are what you are , and I genuinely feel sad and disappointed that you are where you are with your situation. You certainly drove my less riskier purchase, thank you.

Sandford

Message Posted:
08/03/2012 01:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 155 of 165 in Discussion

(cont)

And to all the others (at this ridiculous time at night, who feel they have a right or role in deciding what is right or wrong for PoshinDevon, myself, you are as wrong as the dodgy builders.

P

laptajack

Message Posted:
08/03/2012 04:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 156 of 165 in Discussion

Bradus,

Excellent post.

Posh and Sandford i wish you all the best, at this ridiculous time in the morning!

Lor49

Message Posted:
08/03/2012 09:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 157 of 165 in Discussion

In agreement with 156.

Bradus

Message Posted:
08/03/2012 13:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 158 of 165 in Discussion

Message 152 stated:

"Things have improved in 2012 and your reluctance to see that improvement (however small) does you no favours"

I disagree with this statement. If anything builders are far more financially insecure than they were in 2005. Back then there were a few big developments in the limelight but in the main problems related to non-completions. Whilst not wishing to trivialise the stress that this action prompted at least most buyers completed their own properties and ended up with their deeds. Mainly with the help of the HBPG.

Now the problems are more complex and varied. Memorandums on fully paid for properties being the most problematic. Mainly because all buyers are left with no protection during the waiting time for PTP approval and memorandums take precedence over contract registration. A legal loop-hole which gives absolutely no protection to the buyer and is an absolute gift to unscrupulous builders who can defraud within the law.

Bradus

Message Posted:
08/03/2012 13:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 159 of 165 in Discussion

Further more, the increase in demanding more money for deed exchange is also becoming more wide-spread. Even more worrying is the sheer numbers of developers that will not exchange deeds.

I could go on and on because new scams become evident everyday. However the above is not new news. The important thing is that people considering buying or needing help because they find themselves in one of the above positions are fully informed and aware of the support networks available. Choice should be based on factual information and for my liking there are just too many promoting a rosy picture of the buying process and often from those that have not even got their PTP or deeds. If people do decide to buy then they should be helped to do everything possible so they do not end up victims. This means highlighting the positives as well as the negatives.

meddmale

Message Posted:
08/03/2012 17:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 160 of 165 in Discussion

I think the universal advice should always apply wherever you decide to buy

1.Do your homework to fully understand the types of deeds& property/ land title on offer, ask lost of questions

2.Understand the risks / rewards / costs of all the above

3.Understand all potential costs budget for them and try to get these as firm as possible and documented at the beginning

4.Try to use only reputable estate agents

5.Defiantly only use a reputable law firm and understand the process of purchasing

6.Seek advice but beware those with an axe to grind or who might profit from your purchase (even on hidden commission)

7.Don’t make the mistake of believing that all purchase contracts are the same

Whatever you decide, all the best with it

Meddmale

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
09/03/2012 09:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 161 of 165 in Discussion

Meddmale/Msg 160:

Posting the advice you have, above, is merely inviting ridicule from all those cheated people who were certain they'd 'done their homework'.

You are clearly not qualified to give advice - so, why bother?

Honeybee

Message Posted:
09/03/2012 15:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 162 of 165 in Discussion

Message 159 - *Too many people painting a rosey picture* I have to disagree here, i see nothing but negative comments on this forum about buying property! One of the reasons being, as soon as they dare to mention anything like it being 'a good thing' they are in the firing line!

Hector

Message Posted:
09/03/2012 16:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 163 of 165 in Discussion

Message 162 "I have to disagree here, i see nothing but negative comments on this forum about buying property! One of the reasons being, as soon as they dare to mention anything like it being 'a good thing' they are in the firing line!"

Now how on earth could they possibly say anything negative about buying property in Cyprus?

meddmale

Message Posted:
09/03/2012 17:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 164 of 165 in Discussion

Tenakoutou

I was just wondering if you are better qualified to give advise?

I notice you don’t criticise the advise itself only that I may become the subject of ridicule…..will I can live with that

You ask “why bother”? …… I thought it was advice that was the requested at the start of this tread or is it that your advice why bother?

Now some advise for you……if you have nothing constructive to say then say nothing

Meddmale

reyntj

Message Posted:
09/03/2012 21:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 165 of 165 in Discussion

i reckon prices in limassol are triple than parts of trnc maybe more perhaps if you buy a resale with kochan the risks are warranted for the value -time will tell

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.