North Cyprus Tourist Board - Has anyone used Slingbox or VPN's in Cyprus to get UK TV
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Has anyone used Slingbox or VPN's in Cyprus to get UK TV

Has anyone used Slingbox or VPN's in Cyprus to get UK TV

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See all North Cyprus Television (TV) and Satellite threads posted so far

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

Craig

Message Posted:
20/12/2008 01:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 9 in Discussion

I was wondering if anyone had tried these out to gain access to UK TV as they work all over the world but i was not sure if the broadband in cyprus was a good enough width......any comments?

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
20/12/2008 08:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 9 in Discussion

Talk to MM (who has just joined the board), I think he was talking about carrying out a trial with Slingbox sometime ago.

AJ

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
20/12/2008 14:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 9 in Discussion

Hi Dave !

I have had three different models of slingbox... they are GREAT if you are on the move and want to se a program in a small window on your computer OR, if you want to use a laptop like another TV by sending the signal wirelessly around the house

There ARE commercial interests offering UK based slingboxes as an alternative to UK satellite TV, but the quality is not in the same league.

One realistically needs a 2 Meg UPLOAD from the uk to get a good quality full windowed feed.. You ain't gonna get that quality coming through to CY.. esp many places in the north.

I WANTED slingbox to work...:

We gave up that biz model and now offer a service to allow expats to watch UK based TV progams ( using Iplayer / skyplayer, ITV, C4 , Five,etc) via a computer

If you are in a place with a high speed internet connection it allows streaming.. so you can watch zattoo a live UK tv feed ( zattoo.com )

MUCH cheaper than paying for a UK upfeed, a slingbox and a maintenance fee!

kfarr1990

Message Posted:
20/12/2008 17:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 9 in Discussion

hi yea i've tried the proxies and the vpn servers but never a sling box the vpn is very unreliable and slow and i would recommend the proxy as its always worked for me no problem! im currently testing the vpn system and it doesnt look good. you need a mega connection to use a vpn with success, and proxies work great even on a slow connection. i am going back to the uk in january were i will be buying a slingbox and will report back with my results. but the reviews and comments i have read all seem to be good. hope this helps.

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
20/12/2008 17:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 9 in Discussion

Hi Mark

How are you and yours doing?

AJ

Craig

Message Posted:
20/12/2008 20:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 9 in Discussion

thanks everyone but i'm still confused! I thought the slingbox was supposed to be pretty good.....now i'm not so sure what to think

I also thought that the broadband providers in cy were upping their game as regards width etc........slingbox is expensive so it's a big risk if it doesn't work.....this is mainly for the missus for when i am away on business so i need a pretty simple foolproof method for her....not that i'm calling her a fool...she'd kill me!

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
20/12/2008 22:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 9 in Discussion

Kfarr1990 re

I *suppose* I could be called biased, but I'm charging folk for what I believe is the best option to get UK TV without a dish, and if the VPN solution was "unreliable" I would have no biz...

Perhaps you can explain to me how a VPN connection in London - on servers - connected to one of the main internet switches - not overloaded - or any where NEAR it, could be slow...?!

*IF* you have an over-contented or SLOW internet connection at *your*end....

Just under two weeks ago CyTa doubled the bandwidth to most of their ADSL clients and suddenly we are getting LOTS of CY based clients.. So here is an example of good reports we get from CY, now

"We watched Taggart last night from ITV online with only a few hiccups (sound with moving pictures on 6 or 7 occassions but perfectly watchable considering it's a 1:30 hour programme). Zatto is not always reliable, but with BBC iplayer, C4 and ITV between them we are more than alright! Please keep up the good servic

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
20/12/2008 22:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 9 in Discussion

Hi Dave, not missing certain aspect of CY "pen pushing" immigration officials, but miss the food, restaurants and buzz of Limas(s)ol and the little trips across the Green Line to see how t'other half live..

Still working in A'zhan?

negativenick

Message Posted:
21/12/2008 08:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 9 in Discussion

i do my "you need a 4m dish to get decent tele over here" post, always does the trick !

Nick

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.