North Cyprus Tourist Board - Apple TV in north cyprus
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Apple TV in north cyprus

Apple TV in north cyprus

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See all North Cyprus Television (TV) and Satellite threads posted so far

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

rickheff

Message Posted:
27/02/2012 17:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 11 in Discussion

whilst in the UK recently i bought Apple TV. has anyone set this up here??

highnoon

Message Posted:
27/02/2012 18:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 11 in Discussion

...should be no problem with the Apple TV itself ... bought mine in the US and set it up in Germany ... no probs, but you need a fast internet connection to avoid boaring buffering time before playback ... you can even use different Apple IDs ... mine is working with a US Account for renting US TV Shows like House or CSI and with my German Apple ID to rent the german movies

erolz

Message Posted:
27/02/2012 19:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 11 in Discussion

highnoon that is interesting. So it would seem that there is no location detecting using apple tv based on your IP address, but it is purely linked to the region attached the whatever apple ID you are using ?

erolz

Message Posted:
27/02/2012 19:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 11 in Discussion

Can I also ask highnoon, is the content you are getting from itunes ? Do you know if the other services supported by apple TV also work on the location of the apple ID account and via location detection based on IP address. I am thinking services like netflix ?

rickheff

Message Posted:
27/02/2012 19:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 11 in Discussion

thanx highnoon for that. this sounds like great news and as erolz mentions in his post it seems that the content received is directly linked to where your apple ID account is - do you actually know this to be the case? i know how tricky apple can be!

aussiejock

Message Posted:
28/02/2012 12:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 11 in Discussion

I have the jailbreak Apple TV, google it and find out what you can do with it, great to watch free TV and movies, and if you want your iphone 4 unlocked download a program called ( Ziphone 3.0 the all in one iphone and ipod touch tool ) it will unlock, jailbreak and activate your iphone or ipod in less than 4 minutes, then you can use any sim card that you want, again google Ziphone and watch the video, the program is free, so do not pay for this program if the site you go into asks for $29.95 you are not in the right place just try another site. you can get the program for Mac or PC.

Robert

highnoon

Message Posted:
28/02/2012 12:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 11 in Discussion

@erolz

there seem to be no IP based limitations ... the pay content I use on an Apple TV comes from iTunes ... there are some services like youtube and some sport services from the US on it too, but I've not used them very often ... I'm using the airplay function to play content from my iTunes library or my iPhone and sometimes rent some movies ...

@rickheff

this seems to be the case ... some people on the internet say that the ability to rent US TV content only apears when you initally used the Apple TV in the US, which I've done ... but the rest seems to depend on the Apple ID you're using ... btw, you need some creativity to have an US Apple ID, but it's possible

I think jailbreak would bring some further features but I'm fine with the native functions

highnoon

rickheff

Message Posted:
28/02/2012 13:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 11 in Discussion

hi highnoon/aussiejock. getting a bit confused now. this morning i downloaded BBCiPlayer onto my iPad2 and it installed alright but when i tried to play its content the iPlayer detected i was outside UK and refused. by the way my Apple ID account is registered at my sister-in-law's in the UK.

does this mean you are able to play the content from Apple TV and BBCiPlayer because you have a VPN and/or jailbroken your iPad?

highnoon

Message Posted:
28/02/2012 15:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 11 in Discussion

... only guessing as I know nothing about the iPlayer, but the iPlayer seems to be in the iPad App and so it's able to do the location check via IP, which i've learned from this forum the iPlayer does to make sure you're in the UK ... in your case you only use the airplay option of your Apple TV but the player functionality comes from the iPad App... i use the iTunes functionality (with my Apple ID) in the Apple TV ... that's the difference ... not sure if there is a VPN functionality in the iPad ... if it is, the VPN of 6m's could be helpfull ... http://www.cyprus44.com/forums/87083.asp

highnoon

Message Posted:
28/02/2012 15:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 11 in Discussion

just tried it with my iPhone, there is a VPN option in it so i think it's on the iPad as well ... I was able to connect the VPN of 6m's and a IP check webpage showed that I was in th UK ... installed the iPlayer App with my German Apple ID and it say's I'm not in the UK ... maybe they're able to see the country of the Apple ID which installed the APP .... maybe worth a try, as you've got teh "right" Apple ID

aussiejock

Message Posted:
28/02/2012 16:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 11 in Discussion

you need a VPN but you can now pay to watch BBCiplayer on your ipad, from anywhere in the world, this arrangement came out a while back, I think the cost is around 70 pounds a year, that's why the app is for the ipad, don't know if you receive all of the BBC there may be a few programs that they will not let you watch, I haven't tried it yet because I use Hotspot on my Mac, and with Windows7 I use Expatshield they are not bad, but most of the time I use ( Mask Surf Pro ) when I start the program I change the VPN to the UK and I haven't had a problem getting into iplayer, as my wife watches it all the time, if watching a program and you get buffering just pause it for a while and then press play and it should be OK, you can pay for this program or download it from Torrentz.com

Robert

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.