North Cyprus Tourist Board - Work Permit North Cyprus
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Work Permit North Cyprus

Work Permit North Cyprus

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Residence Permits

» Read about Work Permits

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

numpty

Message Posted:
29/02/2012 13:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 56 in Discussion

HI

Can anyone tell me if you can get a work permit without working for a company please

crofter

Message Posted:
29/02/2012 13:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 56 in Discussion

No you cannot only if you set up your own business which will cost you in excess of 100.000 dollars. See the link above [Read about work permits] for more information.

cyprusairsoft

Message Posted:
29/02/2012 19:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 56 in Discussion

makes a joke out of todays paper clamping down on expats who clean pools etc

philbailey

Message Posted:
29/02/2012 19:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 56 in Discussion

Arrange events

or take donations for history related talks

no permit needed

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
29/02/2012 19:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 56 in Discussion

cyprusairsoft

why is it a joke?Would youy be able to do it in uk and get away with it?

msg 1;you can.you just need to find a company that'd employ you,on papers and you pay your own contrubutions.

Babrew

Message Posted:
29/02/2012 20:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 56 in Discussion

yorgozlu

In the UK one can be self employed. Why do the Gov not set up a self employed permit, they would get MORE money. A pool cleaner for example who lives on the site may be asked to clean neighbours pools so why would he work under a company.

Cyprus Today quote ....................."windowcleaners, plumbers, pool cleaners must have a work permit....just 500 TL". So why dont they give an individual a work permit then.

SWCathy

Message Posted:
29/02/2012 23:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 56 in Discussion

Some employers are flouting the law.

Doga College recruited staff with the promise of a work permit. Staff worked for over a year and still not work permit. Then this week when all the fuss starts they dismissed the staff. So they still have no work permits having been employed for over a year.

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
29/02/2012 23:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 56 in Discussion

some of us still not aware of the fact that we are now in Cyprus.

Babrew

Message Posted:
01/03/2012 10:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 56 in Discussion

SWCathy message 7

Exactly, lots of employers do this to all nationalities. Why dont the companies get penalised....or do they?

zanky

Message Posted:
01/03/2012 10:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 56 in Discussion

I like the joke in the paper about the work permit only costing 500tl. What about the costs of the medical and regular tests. What about the Social Sigorta and taxes, and the taxes that the company have to pay for each employee on their books.

charlie55

Message Posted:
01/03/2012 10:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 56 in Discussion

message 8 why should cyprus be different they should remember a lot of cypriots went to the uk and were allowed to earn a living and treated fairly by the british the british here are only asking the same if they could register and pay tax they would . Turkish cypriots all have european passports and can travel and work all over europe including TRNC so for all purposes they are true europeans if a English born turkish cypriot came to the trnc they would be issued with a kimlic card on arrival why should the british be treated differently.

we are aware we are in cyprus but dissapointed at our treatment

rosylee

Message Posted:
01/03/2012 10:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 56 in Discussion

employers caught will pay a fine of 6000+ tl for each illegal worker.There are many locals unemployed and need benefits which are paid into the coffers by us(the legal workers).It does seem ridiculous that to be a window cleaner you have to set up a company costing 'an arm and a leg',but that is the law here and it cannot be flaunted if you wish to work and not be deported.The report in the paper which stated 500tl for a permit is misleading.That is the yearly charge for the paperwork to issue a work permit which the employer pays.It is no worse than the UK.It just seems a hard rule but in all fairness,if a foreiner does work for pocket money he is taking food money from a Cypriot.All legal immigrants declare an income from a source which is approved by Immigration as sufficient to live on.Why do they need to do these pocket money jobs?If a genuine income is needed then it has to be done and declared through the proper channels...it is the law of the TRNC.Why risk deportation?

teatime

Message Posted:
01/03/2012 14:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 56 in Discussion

",if a foreiner does work for pocket money he is taking food money from a Cypriot"

Rubbish, whatever makes you think that these people paying the "pocket money" would employ a Cypriot, who would expect an extortionate payment and in most circumstances not even do the job satisfactory. Much the same with the entertainers, the ex-pat ones perform to a completely different audience than the Cypriot performers, so again, stopping these ex-pats would not bring more work to the Cypriots.

stellasstar1

Message Posted:
01/03/2012 14:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 56 in Discussion

It is not the same as England, because in England you can be self employed and if you earn enough pay taxes, but if you don't earn over a certain amout you don't pay taxes.Many ex-pats here are just doing a small amount of work which in England, might or might not require taxes paid on them, but would be legal, instead of the strange way they do it here, which require a lot of money to set up, and then pay each month, even if you're not earning much. They don't cater for the individual that just has a small job, not earning a lot, but willing to pay taxes if necessary.

philbailey

Message Posted:
01/03/2012 14:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 56 in Discussion

What about the markets ?

do they pay ?

rosylee

Message Posted:
01/03/2012 14:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 56 in Discussion

Teatime:- yes,the standard of work is different to what we know and expect.it's often diabolical and we have thrown good money away when the job then has to be put right.I totally agree with you BUT...we cannot argue with the law,so until it is changed, or there is an easier way of being self employed, the illegal worker runs the risk of deportation and the 'employer'(thats the friend/neighbour in real terms)risks paying a fine or deportation.That is a very costly alternative when they have bought property here.

I do feel sorry for the entertainers as ,unless they have bookings for a full year,they would be working just to pay the taxman.

The government is not stopping ex pats from working....just do it through the correct procedures is what they ask.

I know of a UK man who boasts he earned £250k in 5 years and was not legal.I can take that figure with a pinch of salt but surely he could have comfortably paid tax on those earnings?

rosylee

Message Posted:
01/03/2012 15:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 56 in Discussion

HEAR HEAR ! stellasstar1 .I have asked this with an accountant and he just shrugs and says"this is Cyprus Government". so we can't win !

Babrew

Message Posted:
01/03/2012 16:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 56 in Discussion

Charlie 55

Message 11

here here !

gates

Message Posted:
01/03/2012 17:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 56 in Discussion

what a load of . when you come here you new the regs why do brits come with there barking dogs , get up at 10am and think they are owed a living here

wake up dopes when i came over i went and got a company and worked with that , cost a nioce few bob and has since

did you not understand when you bought your shaby place it was not built to UK regs or did you come here because you could not retire to the better end of the world , either way at the end of the day pay your money or off

I paid mine and will again in April and while your at it take your barking dogs with you so i can get up in the morning to pay for your roads you all drive down

be band again here

Post edited for offensive language , ........... Simbas

SandersonP

Message Posted:
01/03/2012 17:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 56 in Discussion

Gates

Whilst not entirely agreeing with the way you expressed it, all credit to you. You are a good man and I am not surprised you are angry with the crooks whether they be so called builders or unregistered tour guides.

racoonchic

Message Posted:
01/03/2012 18:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 56 in Discussion

can i ask where and when this offer was in cyprus today ..the 500tl thing

negativenick

Message Posted:
01/03/2012 18:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 56 in Discussion

mess 19 - why so angry ??

me - cant smile wide enough.....

simbas

Message Posted:
01/03/2012 18:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 56 in Discussion

Msg 19 , edited for reason given

Simbas

cyprusairsoft

Message Posted:
01/03/2012 21:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 56 in Discussion

goverment could get taxes paid if they made new laws simpler ways to pay for part time or one of job workers.

yorg stop hiding behind "when in cyprus."

goverment were quick enought to take our money and continue to do so with scammy blood test and all the other red tape crp!.

i know many people who earn a few quid and want to pay tax but cant cos the system wont allow them,

if your getting example 200 quid for doing your mates pool a few times a year you are not going to get a work permit etc the maths dont add up

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
01/03/2012 23:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 56 in Discussion

msg 24-hiding behind "when in cyprus".............of what?

never hid behind anything,here or in uk.want to know something about me?ask me,if I want you to know I'll tell you.

those that you know who 'earn a few quid',why wont they go and get a job?is it because they cant be bothered to work properly or is it because they cant come to terms with they are now in cyprus and the british estate are no longer behind them to support them?

I do not make or change the rules/laws,nor I once said I agree with them.I don't however understand why so many of 'you' after so long in cyprus still haven't registered the difference,and still,to this day,arguing about the none existant.Perhaps once few have been cought and deported it might register.Then again,I wont hold my breath.

carry on calling me brit basher,while cleaning 'your' mates pools,I'm off to do my ones in the morning.

beyond help is just an under estimation..............!!!!!!!

Jovial_John

Message Posted:
02/03/2012 10:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 56 in Discussion

I don't think the issue is about paying tax, it is about whether foreigners should work at all.

TRNC wants to limit the number of foreign workers in order to ensure its own citizens have sufficient employment opportunities. I see nothing wrong with that and regret the UK doesn't take the same stance. I bet many arguing here for the right to work have, at least once in the past, complained about all the foreign workers in the UK. When I came here I fully understood that I had no right to work and can hardly complain about it now even though I would enjoy being occupied a bit more than merely pursuing hobbies.

gates

Message Posted:
02/03/2012 16:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 56 in Discussion

well said jovial john lets see what happens when they do get caught ,

setpot

Message Posted:
02/03/2012 19:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 56 in Discussion

Let's hope they do get caught. I would be more than happy to inform the authorities. Indeed I have and so should every law abiding person here.

Lazer

Message Posted:
02/03/2012 23:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 56 in Discussion

We have a simular probem here in Fethiye icant understand if you want to work why come to Turkey/Kibris surley you knew what the score was before you moved out here the only reason i can come up with its cheap compared with spain etc if you run a legit Business here you will understand what commitments there are its not cheap i have duel nationality and employ several turkish nationals and there is a brit here installing sat systems on the side and with no overheads so yes the lost business is affecting me and my staff but lucky Fethiye is quite big place it will only be a matter of time when he get that one way ticket

setpot

Message Posted:
02/03/2012 23:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 56 in Discussion

Lazer

Report them, they are criminals.

MoonageDaydre

Message Posted:
05/03/2012 01:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 56 in Discussion

Why does the link to First Consult Cyprus at the top of this page not lead you to their web site?

Agobard

Message Posted:
05/03/2012 10:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 56 in Discussion

Message 28: I consider that informing on people in these circumstances is a despicable activity. What business is it, of yours or mine, what arrangements anybody has with the tax office? This is a personal matter. If I employ somebody to do some carpentry work or to clean my windows or whatever, I am not going to be asking them about their relationship with the tax man. What I want is a good job done at an acceptable price and I don't give a damn whether the work is carried out by a Turkish Cypriot or a foreigner. This apparent enthusiasm for 'shopping' people is a deeply nasty practice for several reasons and certainly not to be encouraged in my view.

Jovial_John

Message Posted:
05/03/2012 11:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 56 in Discussion

I agree.

Although I strongly disapprove I would not shop anybody - it is up to the government to pursue and find people who break the rules. Nor would I applaud if somebody got caught. But there are those who will do so - some because of existing animosity or because the worker has done a poor job for them or cheated them.

I suppose it will keep all these illegal workers on their toes and ensure they do a good job.

I read somewhere that the Philppines (I think) give the informer 50% of the fine that is levied and almost nobody risks working illegally because they are bound to be reported with such an incentive.

winniethepooh

Message Posted:
05/03/2012 11:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 56 in Discussion

Jovial John, by "rules" I suppose you mean "laws". Then it is just a question of degree isn't it.

We would report someone if they murdered, robbed a bank, assaulted an old lady or defrauded a charity.

But maybe not if they jumped a traffic light, stole from a shop, defrauded the tax authorities or assaulted a young man.

On this basis everyone gets to decide for themselves what is "within" the law and what is "without."

That situation is obvious nonsense. So, it is alraight to defraud the taxman of say £5,000 and on so logic dictates that it is alright to defraud you of £5,000. After all what is sauce forth goose is sauce for the gander, is it not.

Some on will say "what rubbish". Of course, what they mean is I would draw the line in another place. Well, that is what government pass laws for, they draw the line.

Jovial_John

Message Posted:
05/03/2012 12:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 56 in Discussion

I said in a previous post that I did not believe it is about the money - rather that it is about ensuring employment for TRNC citizens.

However, on the point of tax, I think it is immoral for TRNC to collect the same social fund contibutions for foreign employees when they have declared that they will not pay a pension to them and they must pay hospital charges that are free for citizens. If anything, that is where the fraud exists.

So no, defrauding me of £5,000 is not the same as avoiding tax.

Further, it is not a point of deciding what is or is not within the law. The law does not require anyone to intervene whether it is murder or tax evasion - that is a matter for personal conscience.

winniethepooh

Message Posted:
05/03/2012 12:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 56 in Discussion

Jovial John

Speaking as someone who has a work permit I can assure you that you are wrong on both counts. Indeed I have on several occasions had the benefit of free health care.

Defrauding you is exactly the same as defrauding the government and to claim otherwise is an admission of moral bankruptcy. Fraud is fraud is fraud. As I mentioned earlier it is not a question of degree.

How do you feel about the person who thinks that it is perfectly alright to break into your house, beat you up, rob you etc etc because he thinks it ok to do so? It is just a matter of where you draw the line isn't it.

"The law does not require anyone to intervene whether it is murder or tax evasion - that is a matter for personal conscience." You try telling the police here that when they come and ask you what you know.

Jovial_John

Message Posted:
05/03/2012 12:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 56 in Discussion

I don't know if you are right about pensions but I distinctly remember about 1 year ago reading in Cyprus Today that they had decided that they would no longer pay pensions to foreign workers. Maybe, like many rules, it was subsequently overturned.

If I were questioned by authorities on a specific matter then I would not lie - but being proactive as somewhat different.

I am sorry but, whether morally bankrupt or not, I would not report somebody for working illegally. I would wade in and help somebody who was being attacked, I have done in the past, but we all draw the line somewhere.

rosylee

Message Posted:
05/03/2012 13:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 56 in Discussion

without getting into the moral issues,please may I point out that a legal company employing any nationality is REGISTERED with the Office of Fair Trade.This means the consumer has rights to complain if the work done is sub-standard.

I appreciate that to employ 'Mr Smith'to do a bit of painting is easier on the pocket than hiring through a company....but what happens if Mr Smith falls from a ladder?who is going to pay the hospital bills?was it worth the cheaper price?A good friend/neighbour doing the odd job could be the end of the friendship if a tragic accident happens and what dreadful consequences for his nearest & dearest.

There is more to employing the legal worker than first meets the eye.

winniethepooh

Message Posted:
05/03/2012 13:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 56 in Discussion

Rosylee is right.

There you are with a deal illegal on your patio. Then what, where's your guarantee then?

rosylee

Message Posted:
06/03/2012 10:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 56 in Discussion

Thank you Winnie.

the pensions----to my knowledge,you have to have paid in for something like 5 years or more to qualify.I think it is consecutive + full years and not a part time/seasonal work.Health care IS covered -no charge.The locals are now being asked to make a contribution for any treatment to help the economy so we legal workers would do the same to be fair.(even though we are paying a MINIMUM of 2000tl per person,per month wether or not we have work coming in)

Smity

Message Posted:
06/03/2012 11:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 41 of 56 in Discussion

I have been told, to get a permit set up a company with a Local, could be anybody that was born or has a buisness in Cyprus/, after 6 months apply for your work permit then resolve the partnership

This was told me a lady who had just done that to gain a permit

rosylee

Message Posted:
06/03/2012 11:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 42 of 56 in Discussion

Hi Smity..........this sounds an odd way of doing things and I can't quite grasp what you mean.

it would be an expensive way of doing things as you would need to 'buy' the Cypriot partner out and he would be the majority share holder (51%).You would still end up at the same conclusion but paying out twice for an accountant and solicitor.

Consult a good Accountant and take the sensible,legal route or you could pay dearly in the long run.

eXtendAgent

Message Posted:
06/03/2012 13:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 43 of 56 in Discussion

If you resolve the Company you would then need another Director and Company Secretary. You would still need a work permit for that Company unless you became the Director or Company Secretary. It's expensive whichever way round you do it. As Rosylee said - you have to pay your dues and demands whether or not you have earnt it.

I checked with our accountant and they have been told by the Working and Pensions department that pensions are still being paid out to everybody and I am presuming this includes Brits. We pay the same amount as the locals so should benefit the same. Females have to have 12 consecutive work permit stamps in their passport and males 15 years.

rosylee

Message Posted:
06/03/2012 15:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 44 of 56 in Discussion

Thanks for that eXtend....I did not facy wading my way thru' all the paperwork to print it all in this link(too busy trying to earn a living LOL!) By the way ,a director and secretary need work permits.Its shareholders that don't, providing they are not working in the company.

Pippie

Message Posted:
06/03/2012 16:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 45 of 56 in Discussion

And also Smity, just adding to Rosylee's point, the director and secretary are regarded as employers, not employees and they have 'business permits' which are around 3 times higher than an ordinary work permit for an employee.

And, when you dissolve a partnership with a Cypriot majority shareholder, be aware that you will again need to block a sizable chunk of money in the bank for 6 months as security, but when your company becomes 100% foreign owned, this chunk changes from something like 16000tl to $100,000!

rosylee

Message Posted:
06/03/2012 17:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 46 of 56 in Discussion

correct Pippie.......I really should not read C44 when working .my head is not fully on what I am writing.sorry.

gates

Message Posted:
06/03/2012 17:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 47 of 56 in Discussion

Smithy they aint got as clue , dream on thats what they are one way here and thats put up the bucks or dont work , or think you have permition then find the dream has finished I know some lady thought she had a work permit then found she had a resy permit , she was lucky , i know i have and buisness permit because i can feel it in my pocket every week just the same as any other person that has comformed

Till you have done all the bits you will never know or guess how much agrevation it is , also the amount of money it costs every month ?

philbailey

Message Posted:
06/03/2012 23:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 48 of 56 in Discussion

Msg 41, maybe you could sell glasses

I suggest with a rose tint

brianc

Message Posted:
07/03/2012 11:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 49 of 56 in Discussion

What about those people who sell their bits at the markets- Carpenters, Chateu Lamb. etc - do they have to have a work permit ? To start their own business? Will they be deported?

parkey

Message Posted:
23/03/2012 13:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 50 of 56 in Discussion

This is a similar system that south Cyprus had before joining the EU.

A foreigner could not own a business without a Cypriot partner having 51% ownership of the business. But if you engaged an accountant he would find a partner which was purely a paper exercise for a small annual fee. Is there not a similar arrangement in North Cyprus.

If not, then the island is truly very different north v south. I guess most Brits choose trnc because they wanted to retire and not work.

If a retired carpenter makes a piece of furniture and then sells it for his material cost only, there should be no tax element as no profit was made, it would be a hobby, would you be classed as self employed under trnc law?

SWCathy

Message Posted:
23/03/2012 23:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 51 of 56 in Discussion

The Turkish Cypriots who were evacuated to the UK in 1974 and still live there, do not need to pay for a work permit.

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
23/03/2012 23:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 52 of 56 in Discussion

msg 51

don't you mean............'turkish cypriots whom are british citizens'?

feel free to ask why they/we are british.I'll oblige to answer to that,too.

SWCathy

Message Posted:
23/03/2012 23:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 53 of 56 in Discussion

Message 26

I worked with unemployed adults in the UK and put several people though NVQ's, who did not speak English (they did by the time the finished their NVQ). They paid nothing, the government funded their training and qualification. I also trained and assessed asylum seekers and put them through NVQ's at no cost to them and governement funded. I have never begrudged these people because they were prepared to work rather than sitting around doing nothing on benefits.

gates

Message Posted:
24/03/2012 13:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 54 of 56 in Discussion

a lot of turk cyps have uk birth certifacates as at one time it was under british rule so they are entitled to uk paspaorts and the bits that come with it here you aint its not in the Eu so why keep arguing you know the rules and unless trnc joins the EU witch i hope is never as look at the other side do the rules or go thats what hey say , thats what you knew when you came here , thats it realy

Jonholmes

Message Posted:
24/03/2012 14:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 55 of 56 in Discussion

Gates I think you will find technically find that all of Cyprus is in the EU , although the north is suspended at the moment.

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
26/03/2012 00:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 56 of 56 in Discussion

Rosy Lee makes a very good point inMessage 38. If an "illegal" worker has an accident on your property you could well be liable - equally if he or she does faulty work and you or a family member or visitor is injured you might have no redress against him.

However what is the position with workers who DO have work permits. Particularly bearing in mind thelower "elf and safety" standards here (I still shudder when anyone even goes near a ladder!) would he or she (particularly if self employed) carry Public and employers' liability (as they are required to in the UK) and do local household insurance policies include Property Owners liability with cover for workmen etc working on the property?

Same with taxis - at one stage there was a lot of argument in the UK about insurance of car sharing. Anyone paying a friend for a "lift" to the airport may well invalidate the insurance - but do we check "offical" taxis are proprly insured?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.