North Cyprus Tourist Board - Anybody experienced the Air traffic controllers strikes at Larnaca?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Anybody experienced the Air traffic controllers strikes at Larnaca?

Anybody experienced the Air traffic controllers strikes at Larnaca?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Driving Directions from Larnaca Airport to Kyrenia

Enchanted

Message Posted:
03/03/2012 15:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 3 in Discussion

I am due to fly into Larnaca on 12th March with BA. Are these strikes giving passengers serious delays?

Should I be thinking of changing the day I fly?

Mindy

Message Posted:
03/03/2012 15:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 3 in Discussion

If the strike is going ahead, the strikes last 4 hours but depends on when your flight is due to arrive. I was told by Thomson if flight is arriving around 3.30/4.00 pm then a delay of 1 hour could be felt but not neccassarily any delay. So best to ask your Airline near to your flight as possible, I was directed to the Duty Officer via a telephone number. Hope this helps.

wanderer

Message Posted:
03/03/2012 16:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 3 in Discussion

The controllers announced they would be shutting down Larnaca and Paphos airports for four hours each day from 12pm on March 2, 7, 12 and 15 but the Paphos strike yesterday was extended to 7pm – six hours.

They said they would also strike today in Paphos from 7pm until 8am tomorrow.

This is expected to affect 12 flights – six departures and six arrivals.

The measures will also affect traffic in the island’s FIR today and March 8 between 2pm and 5pm.

The ATCs said capacity in each sector of the FIR would be cut by half.

The ATCs want to be excluded from a raft of austerity measures that include pension contributions and a two-year pay freeze, passed in December.

They argue that their income does not affect the state budget because it is governed by a cost-recovery scheme, whereby their salaries are paid by the state, which then recovers the money from airlines using the airports.

http://www.cyprus-mail.com/air-travel/minister-strike-damage-huge/20120303

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.