North Cyprus Tourist Board - Please can you help this PC Luddite
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Please can you help this PC Luddite

Please can you help this PC Luddite

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

deputydawg

Message Posted:
04/03/2012 11:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 15 in Discussion

I have managed a keyboard miscue which has deleted all the Icons (?) on my desktop. I have looked at "tools" etc but do not have the confidence to try and amend anything. The Wildebeest (bless her) has told me, in her gentle and loving manner, that I will be dead if I meddle with and break/damage any more expensive electrical, mechanical, devices etc. I would be grateful if any PC knowledgeable member can give me an "idiot's Guide" on what keys to depress to restore the program and save me from a physical mauling.

erolz

Message Posted:
04/03/2012 11:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 15 in Discussion

If you have just deleted the desktop icons using the normal windows delete funcion then they should still be in your 'recycle bin' and you should be able to use 'restore' from within the recycle bin to put them back.

Or you could try a system restore if you have a suitable restore point to return to.

britvic

Message Posted:
04/03/2012 11:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 15 in Discussion

If its just happened try turning the computer off and back on or, try a restart. It may just be a glitch.

Jeannie

Message Posted:
04/03/2012 11:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 15 in Discussion

I'm with Vicki on this to a large extent. When in doubt, turn appliance (any appliance) off at switch and then switch back on and hope for the best. If this doesn't work, just keep pressing keys whilst uttering increasingly 'bad' swearwords. By this time, your laptop with have no mother OR father, until something on the screen changes. Simple. You will probably, by this stage, have to take it somewhere for repair, but not to worry, you've tried.

Please don't tell your lady wife I have offered you this advice, as I have no wish to anger her in the slightest.

Kind regards.

A fellow Luddite (if you had not already guessed).

PS I do hope you manage to get the problem sorted out

Jean

louthlass

Message Posted:
04/03/2012 11:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 15 in Discussion

Leave home as quickly as possible!!!!

deputydawg

Message Posted:
04/03/2012 11:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 15 in Discussion

Thanks for the quick responses. Unfortunately I am the "glitch". The recycle bin was one of the Icons which disappeared into the ether so I do not know how to open that now.

juliamoons

Message Posted:
04/03/2012 11:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 15 in Discussion

If you are using Windows 7 this is how you can restore the recycle bin to your desktop and from there restore your other desktop icons.

Click the Start button , type desktop icons into the search box, and then click Show or hide common icons on the desktop.

juliamoons

Message Posted:
04/03/2012 11:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 15 in Discussion

Then click on Restore common icons

britvic

Message Posted:
04/03/2012 11:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 15 in Discussion

Throwing your laptop or monitor out of the window never, ever works I know! Have you still got the 'start' button (on the screen) if so you will find the recycle bin in 'all programmes'.

Only other thing is what Jeannie has suggested...........Swearing and cursing!

Jovial_John

Message Posted:
04/03/2012 11:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 15 in Discussion

It's a bit complicated to advise through the form but I will happily come over and sort it for you - I am in Karsiyaka. Just email me with your phone no and I will get in touch.

bigOz

Message Posted:
04/03/2012 12:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 15 in Discussion

It IS a very simple process to put icons back on your desktop! Just follow these sreps and put what you like there;

Click on the start icon (first on - with the windows flag)) at the bottom on the left hand side of your window.

Double click on "my computer" or "computer" from the list - usually on the rigt hand side of the opening screen above the icon.

Double Click on "local disk (C " from the 3 or 4 icons on the list that opens up on screen.

A new list of folders will open; select "program files" from the list by double clicking on it. That will open a big list of folders with all the programs available to you.

Double click the folder related to the program you wish to open on desk top. That will open all the files in that folder.

Look for the small icon that represents the logo program; for instance, you would have the famous "e" sign for internet explorer. If there is more than one sign of the same (possible!) - continues...

bigOz

Message Posted:
04/03/2012 12:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 15 in Discussion

then look accross the same line and check it says "application" under the heading "type" and find the one with the biggest number of bytes further right (under the heading "size").

Once you have identified the file, right clik on it and from the drop down list that will open up, select "send" or "send to", which will open up another drop down list further right.

Click on "shortcut to Desktop" or "create short cut Desktop" on that list, and your shortcut icon will appear on your desktop

I know it looks a long process but it really is not! And once you have done it, the next one would be dead easy. Most progran folders do show the desktop icon with its own logo in the "name" part of the file list. So if you can recall what was on the desktop (logo wise) you would locate it very easily.

Good luck!

bigOz

Message Posted:
04/03/2012 12:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 15 in Discussion

B.T.W. - if you wish to make sure the icon you selected opens up the program you wanted; just double click on the name/icon you identified from the file list, and check if the program runs. If it does, then you have the right file!

suehowlittle

Message Posted:
04/03/2012 14:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 15 in Discussion

Bl**dy hell Brian, you are hopeless!

Someone here in Cyprus should offer basic computing skills, I am not brilliant but even I have never, ever managed to delete everything in one fell swoop.

I feel so sorry for Janet!

deputydawg

Message Posted:
05/03/2012 10:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 15 in Discussion

Simply to thank you all most sincerely for your advice and instant willingness to assist a simpleton. It is good to realise that the few spiteful members on the forum remain well outnumbered by the kind and helpful members. It really was too simple for this simpleton. I simply had to "right click" anywhere on the desktop picture and when the graphics box appeared click again on "show icons". Simply sorted ! Again, many thanks, and take care each.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.