North Cyprus Tourist Board - custom & excise rates on parcels from internet shopping
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > custom & excise rates on parcels from internet shopping

custom & excise rates on parcels from internet shopping

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» All threads about Internet issues in North Cyprus

» Computers & Internet on Cyprus44 Business Directory

» Read about Cypriot Customs and Traditions

smudger

Message Posted:
05/03/2012 21:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 8 in Discussion

I BUY A LOT OFF THE INTERNET, SO IT IS POSTED TO GIRNE POST OFFICE. SOME OF IT IS TRANSFERRED TO LAPTER POST OFFICE, BUT SOME I HAVE TO PICK UP FROM GIRNE CUSTOMS OFFICE. THE RATE OF TAX THEY CHARGE IS MORE THAN THE COST OF THE ITEM. COULD ANYONE TELL ME HOW THEY WORK IT OUT?.

THE COST OF POSTAGE IS VERY HIGH, SO TO BE RIPPED OFF WITH CUSTOMS TAX AS WELL, MAKES IT VERY EXPENSIVE SHOPPING.

stellasstar1

Message Posted:
06/03/2012 08:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 8 in Discussion

It must depend on what you are buying and it's value. I also have quite a few things I buy on the internet, and like you some go to Girne. I always take my invoice/receipt in with me, they look at it and charge me 1 lira, but then the value of my goods are never very high.

Agobard

Message Posted:
06/03/2012 08:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 8 in Discussion

Don't know where you are buying from but might be worth getting stuff sent to the south if it is coming from the EU. You can, for instance, order from Amazon a lot of stuff which they won't send here but will send throughout the EU. You can get them to send c/o DHL and go and collect when it arrives. DHL's office is quite close to Orphanides, easy to get to and no duty to pay.

rowan

Message Posted:
06/03/2012 10:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 8 in Discussion

smudger:

How do you find out that the parcel has arrived at the customs office?

Where in GIRNE is the customs office?

This information will be handy because, I too live in LAPTA and am awaiting a delivery.

muffin

Message Posted:
06/03/2012 10:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 8 in Discussion

Looking to bring a carton of bedding/towels from UK, do you have contact details DHL?

metin

Message Posted:
06/03/2012 10:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 8 in Discussion

Rowan,

you get a piece of paper telling you its at customs (normally in your PO Box if you have one). Customs is beneath the main Post Office in Girne.

Amounts they charge are basically up to what mood they are in that day. A bit like crossing to the South. Be friendly and smile, a little bit of Turkish spoken also helps.

Good luck

slatnumber7

Message Posted:
06/03/2012 12:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 8 in Discussion

muffin Msg 5. Contact links for both RoC and 'Kuzey Kibris'.

http://www.dhl.com/wrd/cy.html

http://www.dhl.com/wrd/office/cy.html

http://www.cypyp.com/datashipping.htm

Good Luck

Pippie

Message Posted:
06/03/2012 16:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 8 in Discussion

Muffin, be careful - may be check out how much it would cost to have it sent as extra luggage by plane (if you can find someone willing to help you with this), it might be cheaper.

The reason I say be careful is because I've had a lot of things sent via DHL, they're still subject to being stopped by customs and charged and if they're stopped through a courier you then have additional stoppage charges to pay (around 120tl). It may be easier to give the direct address of Girne post office cos they have a customs officer sitting there to work out the charge and it's always much more reasonable (you won't have the stoppages either). With DHL they'll pay all the fees for you and then tell you how much you owe, and if you question it you can't get your goods!

Smudger, the amount charged will depend on the value and where it originated from - if made in Asia, China, India for example, there's an further 6% on top of the usual rate.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.