North Cyprus Tourist Board - Watching TV in Dipkarpaz, North Cyprus - what to do
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Watching TV in Dipkarpaz, North Cyprus - what to do

Watching TV in Dipkarpaz, North Cyprus - what to do

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See all North Cyprus Television (TV) and Satellite threads posted so far

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

dippersgirl

Message Posted:
16/03/2012 15:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 9 in Discussion

Bandwidth is not brilliant here, but now that we have decided to live here more than in the UK, we would like to watch a bit more TV. We have a VPN and can download from BBC i-player. Sometime it takes ages (well with various powercuts and internet interuptions) to get someting downloaded and sometimes I 'loose' it because I have run out of 'time'. We did watch one of the classic films on youtube. It wasn't possible to download, so had to watch direct. This was late last night(after 23.00) and it was not too bad, but did buffer quite a few times.

At the moment I use my laptop to watch everything, but it's not very cosy. It also means I have to move all the'stuff' from one room to the next (to be near the stove!)

Any suggestions on what would be the best solution here.

I don't want to buy the wrong thing.

I know a lot has been said already, but technology moves on rapidly.

mrdoodle

Message Posted:
17/03/2012 10:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 9 in Discussion

So where are all these experts to enlighten me??

There'a usually so many!!

mrdoodle

Message Posted:
17/03/2012 10:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 9 in Discussion

just helping mrsdoodle keep the thread at the top

dippersgirl

Message Posted:
17/03/2012 20:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 9 in Discussion

everybody busy or no ideas???

erolz

Message Posted:
17/03/2012 20:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 9 in Discussion

dippersgirl I am not sure what your objective is ?

are you looking for alternatives to having to download content ? if so, given your net connection is not up to streaming, then your only other options are satelite based tv of some sort and probably not any card sharing based system that needs a reliable net connection to do the card sharing.

or are you looking for ways to 'distribute' the content you have downloaded already on the laptop to other parts of the house without having to move the laptop ?

Dillon

Message Posted:
17/03/2012 20:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 9 in Discussion

If the problem is distribution? A DVD player such as the Samsung BD-D6500, I’m sure there are alternative manufacturers, has built in Wi-Fi and is capable of playing all the popular Multi Media file formats directly, as they have the decoders already built into the DVD Player. A free to download ‘PC Share Manager’ is available from Samsung to install on your PC, launch the programme, tell it where all your Multi Media files are, Select the PC Share Manager on your DVD player as the input source, select the media you wish to view and the file will stream over the Wi-Fi connection directly from your PC to your DVD player, all you need is good Wi-Fi connectivity.

http://www.samsung.com/ae/consumer/tv-audio-video/blu-ray/blu-ray/BD-D6500/ZN

brother

Message Posted:
17/03/2012 21:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 9 in Discussion

From what I have read I think the main requirement that DippersGirl has to watch UK TV. Given the infrastructure shortcomings in Dipkarpaz for Internet bandwidth I would suggest that the only practical alternative is satellite. This does rather assume that the cost of such a setup would be acceptable.

negativenick

Message Posted:
18/03/2012 04:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 9 in Discussion

huddled up in a freezing villa, watching tv on a laptop, where the picture keeps freezing...

hardly living the dream s it ??

dippersgirl

Message Posted:
18/03/2012 20:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 9 in Discussion

mess 8 NN

hahaha

We live in a lovely old farmhouse with an lovely turkish soba(woodburner) and we are cosy and happy and will get our media viewing sorted. We did not come here to spend hours in front of the TV anyway.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.