North Cyprus Tourist Board - Special School teaching IGCSE & A/S subjects to be opened in Kyrenia
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Special School teaching IGCSE & A/S subjects to be opened in Kyrenia

Special School teaching IGCSE & A/S subjects to be opened in Kyrenia

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Kyrenia North Cyprus

» Kyrenia Cyprus Photo Gallery

» Kyrenia Sights

» See All North Cyprus Schools Posts

bigOz

Message Posted:
16/03/2012 18:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 19 in Discussion

I informed that a new English School teaching IGCSE and A/S level subjects will be opened in time for the 2012 - 2013 academic year, in Kyrenia town.

Due to inadequate teaching by many of the other private schools around Kyrenia, I have to agree that another alternative is a must. But only if it will provide the service currently lacking i.e.: TEACH! so that students can pass their external exams

I should have more information on the subject soon and will pass it on as it becomes available. For starters, the school will be for those who really wish to study and achieve good results. Time wasters and students with history of distraction will be refused entry. A limited number of students (30-35) for the first year will be enrolled, based on personal interviews

It will provide first class learning opportunity in small sized classrooms, for the more sensible students, and apparently, the proposed fees will be a lot less than what's on offer by the three other establishments!

bigOz

Message Posted:
17/03/2012 03:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 19 in Discussion

Watch this space!

Groucho

Message Posted:
17/03/2012 07:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 19 in Discussion

As we are into smilies...

"It will provide first class learning opportunity in small sized classrooms"

Makes it sound a bit cramped! Or do you mean small classes?

Out of interest, where will the school be housed?

Word of warning, in England 'Special School' is a phrase associated with schools for pupils who don't cut it in normal schools for either mental, physical or behavioural reasons... so you might want to think about that...

What are you/they going to call it? May I suggest the 'Kings' as an acronym for 'Kyrenia Grammar School' or simply 'Kyrenia Grammar School' Seeing as every establishment seems to ask for naming suggestions I just thought it wise to get in first!

"If you build it, he will come" W. P. Kinsella

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
17/03/2012 08:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 19 in Discussion

bigOz;

Could you please inform me furter,off forum if possible.

regards

Sal.

Crumpy

Message Posted:
17/03/2012 12:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 19 in Discussion

Re ; message 3

Groucho, it's easy to pick holes in everyone's posts, but not really that constructive, is it? For example, although permitted in spoken English, for written English "either" should only be used with two alternatives, not three as you wrote above - "either mental, physical or behavioural reasons".

Nevertheless, we had no problem in understanding what you wrote ... as we also had no problem in understanding what Big Oz wrote.

I, at least, wish the best for the people involved in this venture, which I presume includes Big Oz.

bigOz

Message Posted:
17/03/2012 18:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 19 in Discussion

Groucho; They will be small classess (4-10 depending on subject) in relatively small sized classrooms - but definitely not cramped. New modern single desks with attached chairs, bright clean environment, air-conditioning, study & tea rooms with armchairs, internet, TV and soft drink facilities (with kitchen).

The school will be housed at a very convenient location on one of the main roads in Girne. Used to be an English learning centre - but the building had been expanded to add more classes and space.

It will be special in the sense that, it will cater for students who have a sense of responsibility, who genuinely wish to get on with their studies without any distraction or bullying. Hence the small number of carefully selected students - which would include an interview.

Thank you for the name suggestion - in fact I LIKE IT VERY MUCH!, I shall inform those responsible

Yorgozlu; I have sent you an email

Crumpy; We should really get together one evening (when it's warmer) :

Vidal

Message Posted:
17/03/2012 19:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 19 in Discussion

Will it be a full time curriculum or could students study selected courses.

Could you please email me when you know which courses will be available and the fees please.

Thanks

Woodspeckie

Message Posted:
17/03/2012 21:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 19 in Discussion

Just out of curiosity when people arrive in NC and start posts looking for any type of work then their profile shows them as Teachers have their UK qualifications been checked? Some Teachers postings on here are a lot to be desired.

Crumpy

Message Posted:
17/03/2012 23:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 19 in Discussion

Woodspeckie,

Over the years I have worked in quite a few countries. In two of those, Ukraine and Kuwait, the authorities insist that the teachers' university certifiicates are first inspected at the nearest British Embassy with photocopies being stamped and signed there. These photocopies are then sent (with a self-addressed envelope) to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in Milton Keynes for the official apostille. This would seem to be the practice in many non-EU countries.

From posting the photocopies to receiving the apostilled ones back takes about 3 weeks and the FCO charges (if I remember correctly) £30 for each certificate.

Here in North Cyprus, as in Turkey and EU countries, the authorities do not require the certificates to be apostilled. However, they do insist on seeing the originals.

Groucho

Message Posted:
17/03/2012 23:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 19 in Discussion

Ian,

BigOz started using smilies in this thread so I assumed a little light ribbing was in order... He's a big man, I'm sure he can take it.

Most of what I posted was meant to be positive and helpful. He may not have understood what the UK population habitually infers from the phrase 'special school' and after all he did like my suggestions for a name.

bigOz

Message Posted:
18/03/2012 05:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 19 in Discussion

Vidal; there will be no time wasting on cookery classes, parenting, etc. to keep students at school all day unnecessarily (which leaves them tired and not much time for homeworks). The school aims to do the same hours as the state schools, possibly between 08.30 and 13.00. Bus services will be provided. Those who wish to stay behind & study in the afternoons will be able to do so under supervision. The students will select say 6-7 IGCSE courses out of possible 10 most popular ones. Additional subjects will be considered as optional. A/S levels will also have adequate subjects covered

The courses will follow the syllabus for the UK IGCSE and A/S, in preparation for entry into UK Universities. Also, with new rules, the above will be accepted as entry qualifications for many Universities in Turkey, if the student has a TRNC citizenship. A decision on fees and subjects will be made around the end of this month, after certification by the Ministry of Education. I will be emailing you then

TUTOR4U

Message Posted:
18/03/2012 10:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 19 in Discussion

Oz Email me off line please, I am Interested, Mike Kennedy

TUTOR4U

Message Posted:
18/03/2012 10:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 19 in Discussion

Michael.kennedy5@hotmail.com

bigOz

Message Posted:
18/03/2012 12:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 19 in Discussion

Mike; I have sent you an email

jimchris09

Message Posted:
18/03/2012 16:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 19 in Discussion

Please send email to jimchris@omantel.net .om

ataturk

Message Posted:
18/03/2012 18:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 19 in Discussion

Sounds like a good idea as there is a void for this in this country. Hope that they get all their permits and licences to enable them to allow pupils to sit the actual exams in the school.As I am sure the usual doubters and pessimists will be on soon to ridicule it.

Crumpy

Message Posted:
18/03/2012 19:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 19 in Discussion

Re ; msg 16 - "Hope that they get all their permits and licences to enable them to allow pupils to sit the actual exams in the school".

That's not actually a big problem, because students can always, if necessary, take the exams as individuals at the British Council. Besides Edexcel and CIE are quite quick to recognise schools as exam centres and indeed the British Council in Cyprus like to allow schools to hold exams in their own buildings - it saves them money on invigilation ...

The main hurdle is getting permission from the TC authorities to get it registered as a regular school. However I'm sure Big Oz wouldn't write "will be opened in time for the 2012 - 2013 academic year" if he wasn't at least 99% certain that the necessary paperwork will be in order for the big opening.

Crumpy

Message Posted:
18/03/2012 19:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 19 in Discussion

My use of the expression "regular school" is to distinguish it from an evening or weekend cram school ... it is "regular" in that it will operate during regular hours. That doesn't contradict with the intention of the founders to offer a high quality "special" education.

Abdul

Message Posted:
19/03/2012 01:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 19 in Discussion

can I have details also please. kemal_sozuoz@hotmail.com

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.