North Cyprus Tourist Board - Levent College... what have you heard about it?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Levent College... what have you heard about it?

Levent College... what have you heard about it?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See Up and Comings Events in TRNC on North Cyprus Events Calendar

brightside

Message Posted:
19/03/2012 12:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 11 in Discussion

again and again about schools and education in TRNC....

I've heard about this college only twice here, and couldn't find any information about it on cyprus44 or anywhere else...(but too much about GAU, ESK, BA...looks like all pupils are in Girne or close to it). But why am I so interested in it...cause we met a man from Minister of Education and were shown the results of the last year exam (lOSS, as I remember) of all TRNC Schools, there were no big difference among the GAU, ESK and BA...On the top were local public schools and among them was Levent College...and silence about it everywhere...

Does anyone (or ur friends, neighbours, etc.) had an experience with this school? what is your opinion about it?

charlie55

Message Posted:
19/03/2012 14:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 11 in Discussion

I visited levent collage last month to inquire about a level courses and was very impressed with the school and the lady I spoke with I am considering enrolling my daughter for next term prices were lower than her current school the school is around 600 metres after the main hospital in lefkosia.

I also visited the near east collage and was also impressed with the set up there again much cheaper than all the english schools in the girne area tuiton,uniform.lunch,and bus. (2011) £3000 per year

in both school all subjects are taught in english

SWCathy

Message Posted:
19/03/2012 22:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 11 in Discussion

I have visited there on numerous occasions on behalf of KAR. They have excellent facilites and they are certainly impressive. It appears to be worth looking at. Some of the facilties I have seen are better than those provided in my local schools in the UK.

brightside

Message Posted:
25/03/2012 20:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 11 in Discussion

thank you for your comments, but looks like the education in TRNC enveloped in mystery)))

we've also visited the school and were impressed by the english teacher with whom we spoke...and also are thinking to join to Levent next school year...

but in the same time there is no information about it - no website, no brochurs, and even here is nothing...

rowlo

Message Posted:
25/03/2012 21:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 11 in Discussion

every thing in trnc is enveloped in mystery , thats the beauty of the place .

Crumpy

Message Posted:
25/03/2012 23:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 11 in Discussion

My school in Mağusa is very similar in many ways to both Levent and Near East College. The facilities at all these schools are indeed "impressive" (message 3). And before I say any more, I'd like to say I'm happy at my school. However, if I were the parent of a non-Turkish-speaking child, studying for IGCSEs or A levels, would I send him or her to my school ... or Levent or Near East ? No, not at this moment in time anyway.

The director at my school claims we are more "international" than the above two. Indeed between 5% and 10% of those in the high school are non-Turkish speakers ; most of them being the children of foreign lecturers or the siblings of foreign students at Eastern Mediterranean University. However, having worked at genuine international schools in Warsaw, Kiev, Moscow and İstanbul, I am fully aware that its character is quite different to theirs.

Crumpy

Message Posted:
25/03/2012 23:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 11 in Discussion

As at Levent and Near East, it is possible for the non-Turkish speakers to have all their lessons ostensibly in English. However, in practice, with 95% of both the teaching staff and the student population being Turkish- speakers, the innevitable happens and the students ask questions to their teachers in Turkish. Being unable to understand at least the questions of their classmates, puts the non-Turkish-speakers at a disadvantage. Of course the above scenario is fine if you'd like your child to learn Turkish, but not desirable if your children are studying for IGCSEs or 'A' levels.

Naturally the director and the managements at all these establishments would love to have more English spoken. At some international schools, elsewhere in the world, the students are reprimanded if they speak the local language even in the corridor. However, such rules are very difficult to implement.

Crumpy

Message Posted:
25/03/2012 23:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 11 in Discussion

The percentage of Turkish-speakers on the staff is a good indicator of how much English is not spoken in the corridors and the classroom. So, I'll leave you with a link to Near East's web site, ask you to click on "the teaching staff", and let you decide as to whether you want your child to study for their IGCSEs or A levels there :

http://nec.neu.edu.tr/english.htm

Crumpy

Message Posted:
25/03/2012 23:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 11 in Discussion

Re : message 4

Brightside, Levent College do have a web site - http://www.leventschools.org/

However, the site seems to be under construction.

Crumpy

Message Posted:
26/03/2012 14:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 11 in Discussion

Re : Message 1

Hı (yet) again Brıghtside,

At lunchtime I read your initial post more thoroughly, and though not a fan of either BA or ESK, felt the need to comment on something you wrote.

"We met a man from Ministry of Education and were shown the results of the last year's exam results (lOSS, as I remember). Of all the TRNC Schools, there was no big difference among GAU, ESK and BA. On the top were local public schools and among them was Levent College."

I presume by "IOSS", you mean the ÖSS (or Öğrenci Seçme Sınavı), the examination taken by students in their last year of high school, if they wish to attend Turkish universities. Last year in Cyprus this exam would have been taken by most students in their last year ... and by virtually all those attending the government schools.

However, no students at BA took the ÖSS exam, and as for ESK, they have not as yet graduated a class.

Crumpy

Message Posted:
26/03/2012 14:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 11 in Discussion

(Continued from above)

Seeing as Girne American College, Near East and Levent had Turkish students of graduating age last year, it is possible that some of those students were indeed entered for the ÖSS, because they wanted to continue their studies in Turkey.

This year, however with the new ruling whereby TC and Turkish students studying here, can be accepted to Turkish universities on the basis of A level results, all of the above-mentioned schools, together with Eastern Medıterranean Doğa College and the government Türk Maarif College are now just preparing their students for A levels

As someone who has taught students for both A levels and for ÖSS (in Istanbul), you should know that, at least for Mathematics, the two courses are very different. Therefore ÖSS results will not necessarily translate to ‘A’ level success.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.