North Cyprus Tourist Board - Insect Invasion!!
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Insect Invasion!!

Insect Invasion!!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Cyprus History

kyreniagirl

Message Posted:
01/01/2009 12:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 15 in Discussion

Sorry to post a distasteful subject on this day but have a problem with an insect invasion in my flat in Girne. Flat was occupied 'till early Nov & was fine, then had permanent tenants move in 3 weeks later, suddenly they are being bitten to pieces by insects. Beds & quilts have been professionally cleaned but problem remains. There a couple of rugs but no carpets. I understand from agent that it's possible to get the flat fumigated. Has anyone else had this problem & did fumigation work?? Thankyou.

fire starter

Message Posted:
01/01/2009 13:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 15 in Discussion

hi kyreniagirl,

our friend had a flat in girne, in which they had a cockroach problem.

slightly different i know.

but it may be that the problem is not just only with your flat, and it may be the whole block which needs doing.

this is what happend to our friend, as just doing one flat won't solve the problem.

the local council may be able to help, give them a try.

the butler

Message Posted:
01/01/2009 16:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 15 in Discussion

Hi Kyreniagirl,

I wondered if you had actually seen these insects? I had a similar problem in England with a flat I rent out, when some tenants moved out. After one week of the new tenants moving in, they started complaining of being bitten. On investigation they were flea bites. All though we had a no pets policy, it turned out that the previous tenants had looked after someones cat for 2 weeks. The fleas lay their eggs in bedding and rugs, carpets etc. They can lay dormant for months and then hatch out because they don't have an animal to attach themselves to, they bite humans. It may not be this but it does sound like it.

I got a spray from the vets and sprayed all beds, furniture, rugs anywhere they could hide. You will need to open all windows whilst doing this. If there is absolutely no possibility it could be fleas, then I think it might be sand flies and they are very difficult to stop.

The Butlers wife

kyreniagirl

Message Posted:
01/01/2009 17:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 15 in Discussion

Hi. No I haven't seen them. I don't think it will be fleas as there were no pets involved. Therefore sand flies seem distinctly possible. Strange thing is the children were bitten but not the adults. Thankyou you both very much for your advice & if anyone knows of a fumigation co. please let me know. Thankyou.

come_on_aylin

Message Posted:
01/01/2009 18:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 15 in Discussion

If the bites tend to be in a cluster or line, it's likely to be fleas. The kids may have picked them up by petting a dog or cat, it's quite easy. I've also seen flea type insects in houses here where there are no pets, I guess they can come in through the windows/doors. Most supermarkets sell products such as Sertex which will wipe out most insects. You can spray around the perimeter of each room, best to do when the kids aren't around and you are about to leave the house for a few hours - you don't want to breathe it in, once it's dry it's ok. The spray lasts for up to 3 months, allegedly.

scruff

Message Posted:
01/01/2009 19:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 15 in Discussion

You don't get Sand flies in January & certainly not with these temperatures. Believe you me I know because I get bitten all summer. This ends in November & doesn't start again until late May (thank goodness).

augusta

Message Posted:
01/01/2009 22:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 15 in Discussion

If it is fleas.....and you don't want to use chemicals on the bedding and clothes....then put the items in plastic bags and find a deepfreezer where they can stay overnight at minus 18 degrees C. That will get rid of the problem!

Turbo

Message Posted:
01/01/2009 22:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 15 in Discussion

Sounds like it could be fleas, is the flat on the ground floor? do the neighbors have pets?

Try walking around flat in white high socks and then take a look on the socks to see if you moving have black spots on them. if u do, they are fleas.

They itch badly second to sandflies .

The local Beleidiye should check it and spray it for free.

too cold for mozzies and sandflies.

Bed bugs leave huge itchy welts. can be found in tiny corners of the mattress.

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
01/01/2009 22:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 15 in Discussion

I concur with Turbo

The local Girne Belideye will come out and spray your flat and it should not cost you a penny (all included in your annual council tax). Out here in Alsancak they will come around and spray/bait against cockroaches etc twice a year (that is inside and outside of the property) and also spray all outside areas against mozzies.

AJ

kyreniagirl

Message Posted:
02/01/2009 22:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 15 in Discussion

My Goodness. what a wealth of good information. thankyou you all so much, I will check out the Belideye & see if they'll do it. I wish i were out there to sort it out, it's very frustrating, but have a lovely gent who helps me out. I am of the opinion now that these guests have brought these into the flat themselves, but they've now moved out & left me with the problem - the joys of property letting! This was my first foray onto the forum & I'm heartened by the time people have taken to help me. Many thanks.

midas

Message Posted:
02/01/2009 22:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 15 in Discussion

Hi KG

I think you may have a good answer from Turbo, bed bugs could be the problem, but they affect lots of people in different ways, some people come out in like a rash others little pin prick bites, some people go septic, but one things for sure if it is bed bugs you will most likely have to leave the apartment emty for a couple of days with all the doors and windows sealed after spraying, in UK the eho would need you to destroy the bedding and mattresses if it were a hotel or such place.

Check out bed bugs online for more info

fire starter

Message Posted:
03/01/2009 19:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 15 in Discussion

turbo

you say it is too cold for mozzie but i have see and killed some in the last week.

they are pretty slow now,lol.

kaiserphil

Message Posted:
03/01/2009 19:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 15 in Discussion

Plenty of mozzies here in Bavaria, despite the snow!

negativenick

Message Posted:
03/01/2009 20:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 15 in Discussion

i've come across some low lif since i've lived here, i'd say....

Nick

kyreniagirl

Message Posted:
07/01/2009 18:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 15 in Discussion

I will check all these out. Thankyou all so much for the advice.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.