North Cyprus Tourist Board - Tips for buying household goods in TRNC
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Tips for buying household goods in TRNC

Tips for buying household goods in TRNC

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

wysiwyg

Message Posted:
05/01/2009 01:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 13 in Discussion

We have just returned from a trip to buy kitchen goods etc to set up apartment in TRNC. Best tip of the trip was to go to 1001 Store by the Ercan Airport turnoff. Amazing range of stuff there and prices very good.

Best value was china and glassware in our view - we bought 34 pieces of china for 50ytl and 12 very nice wine glasses for 24ytl. We are fussy about quality and would recommend it. Be prepared to rummage a bit for best deals as there is a lot of stock.

We are still looking for some sun loungers and patio chairs - any help please from buyers on best sources and value in TRNC. We are looking for high quality moulded plastic or Raylon? woven loungers (looks like rattan but can be left outside).

Wysiwigs

augusta

Message Posted:
05/01/2009 01:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 13 in Discussion

Hi there

I am in the same situation as you and am very grateful for your detailed information about the 1001 store. any idea what the opening hours are? I will be picking a guest up at 8 pm so it would be good to make a visit earlier in the evening if they are open!

If you find anything out about the sun loungers and patio chairs please post the info......I am also looking!

If I find any good buys I'll let you know!

kenny b

Message Posted:
05/01/2009 02:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 13 in Discussion

Hi tony/Christine

We always visit the 2 1001 shops in Kyrenia one is right next door to a car park so you aint got for to walk when you are loaded up.

We furnished our apartment last year and bought loads of stuff from 1001 best buys were their ironing boards and clothes horse i think thats what they call them I think we paid about 25ytl for the ironing board and 15ytl for the clothes horse my missus does the washing and ironing and she was more than happy with the quality we also purchased 2 large artificial yucka/palm trees for the patio we paid about £35 each my missus said they would have cost double that in the uk.

we got our rattan patio furniture from Garden City it wasnt cheap £500 table 4 chairs but very smart and very comfortable they wanted £600 but barterd I can say that I never paid the asking price for any of my Furniture and curtains and got excellent service and prices from The Curtain Shop and Fiskos they both have websites and I would highly recommend them both.

negativenick

Message Posted:
05/01/2009 10:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 13 in Discussion

think you'd be better off at Ikea in the south - good quality stuff at a reasonable price.

1001 is a bit hit and miss on the quality.

Nick

fire starter

Message Posted:
05/01/2009 13:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 13 in Discussion

1001 are a joke and i would never use them after they tried to rip me off!

i went into the girne shop to get salt and pepper mills.

they were in the usaul box or two, on the shelf but unpriced.

took them to the checkout, woman scans them and gives me the price for the box of 7 ytl.

the other assistant puts them in a bag and tell me the bill is 14ytl.

when i questioned her why?

her answer was that 7ytl was for each item.

they were not single items but a boxed set.

i left them there on the counter after saying a few choice words in turkish to them.

its not that i couldn't afford it , but the principle that they had the cheek of the devil.

when i went back to the uk, i got some from sainsburys!

Hector

Message Posted:
05/01/2009 20:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 13 in Discussion

Why not look at the auctions? Some good bargains, especially where people are selling up entire house to return to their native land. No I'm not related. See

http://www.cypyp.com/amandas.htm

pilgrim

Message Posted:
05/01/2009 22:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 13 in Discussion

1001 good if selective, bought garden chairs, dried flowers, artificial plants, pots and plastic kitchen buckets etc.

augusta

Message Posted:
05/01/2009 23:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 13 in Discussion

thanks for all the input here....just wondering where the 1001 in Girne is located? next to which car park?......

If I checked out the auction... and there's one this coming sunday...so I'm set for a busy time

As for Ikea, I really like Ikea style and think the quality is fine....but if I can find cheap enough ok quality furnishings etc here in the North I would prefer to support the economy here.

Anybody know if and where I can get simple bookshelves/folding table made to my specified dimensions? Cheaply?

if I have an opinion worth posting as I do my shopping.....I'll be sure to post it!

wysiwyg

Message Posted:
06/01/2009 02:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 13 in Discussion

Hi Augusta, we are having quite a few wooden bits of furniture made at Homefront which is set just back from the main coast road in Alsancak. They are well known and have done a good job on everything so far. Most items we have had made have been delivered within a week. They are not cheapest but quality good and they will do exactly what you ask for. Their wrought iron is also good and more competitive than their wooden furniture in our view. They are less busy on wrought iron right now so you may get an even better deal on wrought iron for your bookshelves? Good luck with getting set up.

Wysiwigs

wysiwyg

Message Posted:
06/01/2009 02:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 13 in Discussion

Thanks for comments on 1001. Where is Garden City please?

Wysiwigs

wysiwyg

Message Posted:
06/01/2009 03:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 13 in Discussion

Hi Firestarter, your complaint at 1001 may have helped us. When we were shopping a member of staff lifted a box from our trolley and pointed out that the box of glass ovenware we had chosen was priced per item on the outside of the box as they sold them singly as well as by the box. We put it back as the value was not so good when x3. We would have been riled too if that had happened at the till. Also on the plus side was that when we paid they gave us 4 mugs and a tablecloth as a gift! Attention all retailers!

Wysiwigs

Lilli

Message Posted:
06/01/2009 09:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 13 in Discussion

hi augusta homefront is very good and very helpful. Mike the owner is Irish so you wont have a language barrier. He did our tables and furniture for the bistro and his quality is very good. just be careful in 1001 as it happened to me also when i bought sets of bread baskets which were price at 12ytl packed in 4s only to find out that they were 12 for each item Good luck lilli x.

wattys

Message Posted:
06/01/2009 11:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 13 in Discussion

Advice needed please

Which is the best border crossing to get to ikea, from Bogaz

Has anyone drove to the border then got a taxi to Ikea and back.

Is there much red tape when going and coming back with goods.

Wattys

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.