North Cyprus Tourist Board - ROC to supply gas to the TRNC?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > ROC to supply gas to the TRNC?

ROC to supply gas to the TRNC?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
06/01/2009 09:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 16 in Discussion

Republic to supply gas to north

Government Spokesman Stephanos Stephanou has said that the Republic of Cyprus has been asked to supply the island's northern Turkish occupied areas with gas and has agreed to do so.

Stephanou said that there is a lack of gas used by hospitals in the occupied areas. “We will supply them with gas which will be paid at the price it is currently purchased,” he said, adding that its safe transportation has been secured.

“The Republic of Cyprus has responded positively to a request which has a humanitarian aspect,” he added.

Asked if a similar thing has happened in the past, Stephanou said that Cyprus Electricity Authority had previously supplied the occupied areas with electricity, with the consent of the Cyprus government.

“I believe these are issues which help and promote trust between the two communities. They show that the Republic of Cyprus wants to take care and takes care of Turkish Cypriots as well,” he added.

Famagusta Gazette 06 J

Lilli

Message Posted:
06/01/2009 09:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 16 in Discussion

hi AJ good morning does this mean the talks are moving forward at last.

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
06/01/2009 11:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 16 in Discussion

Hi Lilli

Call me cynical but I think it is the 'good cop, bad cop' scenario and for all the harm the ROC does to the TRNC every now and again they do something that makes it look like they are to good guys.

Take care

AJ

Lilli

Message Posted:
06/01/2009 11:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 16 in Discussion

actualy AJ i agree. PR MACHINE at it again. take care xx

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
06/01/2009 11:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 16 in Discussion

Are we talking about medical gases or fuel gas?

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
06/01/2009 11:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 16 in Discussion

Vaughan

My guess is medical gases.

Baspinar Bob

Message Posted:
06/01/2009 11:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 16 in Discussion

In that case.,make sure it does what it says on the tin lol

Bob

bridie

Message Posted:
06/01/2009 11:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 16 in Discussion

It has to be medical gas, as the ROC has been supplying LPG for many years, and I'm sure it is nothing to do with the "talks".

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
06/01/2009 11:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 16 in Discussion

This seems to be just a normal commercial transaction. The only thing that makes it seem unusual is the Cyprus Problem. No doubt these gases could be sourced anywhere, including Turkey.

Perhaps the TRNC should invite the RoC to express and interest in purchasing water from the proposed pipeline from Turkey. If the RoC where to sign up to purchasing water from TRNC this would help greatly to make the commercial case for financing it.

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
06/01/2009 12:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 16 in Discussion

Sorry, should have said ..."express an interest"....

spook

Message Posted:
06/01/2009 13:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 16 in Discussion

Just need to make sure its not "laughing gas"

fire starter

Message Posted:
06/01/2009 13:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 16 in Discussion

i think we could all do with some of that spook.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
06/01/2009 14:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 16 in Discussion

The "rump" RoC supplied electricity to "TRNC" for years and never got paid a penny, yet when there was a problem with the power stn in the "north" I well remember "TRNC" Vaughan thanking the GC admin...

When the island first started "fragmenting" into ghettos, we had a situation whereby water for Nicosia came from the "GC" sector and the sewage treatment plant was in the "TC" sector..

There were tit for tat "interruptions in supply, for technical reasons" but eventually things settled down...

If the "rump" RoC didn't supply "lecky" when needed there would have been members who whinged the GCs were being deliberately obstructive.

Like all things, a "settlement" will involve pragmatism and writing off of debts..

If I had a pound for every time I hear of a project to pipe water from Turkey under the sea... it would have been possible to pay for it ;)

Ironically, Cyprus has the potential to generate "lecky" via solar power to run desalination plants.. but where to locat

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
06/01/2009 14:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 16 in Discussion

Hi MM,

You have a good memory (don't we know it!). I did acknowledge RoC credit when they supplied us with electricity when we needed it not that long ago.

You must also remember then, when recently an RoC gov minister(?) snapped that he wouldn't discuss accepting water from TRNC (underwater pipeline) until after a settlement.

This pipeline may or may not happen but it wouldn't hurt the RoC to offer support for the scheme by proposing that they would purchase water as and when it became available. Anything less in drought stricken Cyprus can only be seen as putting politics before the countries greater need.

If RoC supplying electricity isn't seen as recognizing/legitimizing TRNC, why would RoC accepting water from TRNC be seen as anything more?

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
06/01/2009 15:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 16 in Discussion

Hi "TRNC"Vaughan

do you remember those crazy days pre Annan ?! ..

I'm more interested in actions rather than what one minister says.

One of the main stumbling blocks to progress is "TRNC"... now if Mr Erdogan had called "liealotopoulos'" bluff and implemented a lot of the things the TCs had agreed to, I don't think the "RoC" would be called that anymore, either..

I guess the GCs would rather ship in water from Greece via Limassol for now;)

If they can't agree about roaming payments for Cellular phone networks what hope is there!!

It's all about semantics... the RoC admin can "allow" humanitarian gestures, but cannot "trade" with an "illegal regime"...

It sent the bill to Turkey for the unpaid electric..

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
06/01/2009 16:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 16 in Discussion

Hi MM,

There was an interesting article in last Sundays Mail by Simon Bacheli quoting the Nicosia office of the Peace Research Institute of Oslo, who had launched a book entitled Intra-Island trade in Cyprus – Obstacles, oppositions and psychological barriers. In the book, they describe how trade with Turkish Cypriots “reminds Greek Cypriots of the 1974 trauma”, and how Turkish Cypriots are reminded of the “trauma of the 1960s” when they try to sell in Greek Cypriot markets.

Greek Cypriots seem to be able to sell to Turkish Cypriots, but they do not feel comfortable buying from them. This stems, the researchers say, from a tendency towards “denial”. The “prevailing atmosphere… [is]…the idea that any dealings with Turkish Cypriots, however small, are somehow not legitimate and may be considered as some form of recognition of the pseudo state”.

Please excuse the copy/paste thing, but I think it does go some way to explaining the GC frame of mind vis-a-vis our gas/water debate.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.