North Cyprus Tourist Board - Tax People Visiting Markets?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Tax People Visiting Markets?

Tax People Visiting Markets?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Additional Costs in North Cyprus

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
09/01/2009 19:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 40 in Discussion

Anyone heard of visits by the tax people to Carpenters and Pegasus today?

Will it be Lambousa tomorrow?

wynyardman

Message Posted:
09/01/2009 19:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 40 in Discussion

cyprusishome,

Interesting posting! Nothing like an International credit crisis, to bring out the tax collectors.

Its been there since biblical times!

wyn

Nastynipper

Message Posted:
09/01/2009 19:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 40 in Discussion

If you cannot pay the tax do not do the stall ( without a kdv official till ).

Lambousa Gordon

Message Posted:
09/01/2009 20:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 40 in Discussion

We also heard this and have passed it on to many of our stallholders.

NN also mentioned inspections taking place in thread: http://www.cyprus44.com/forums/9182.asp

However, on further investigation it appears that there were no inspections at Carpenter's market and if, as NN mentions in the aforementioned thread, Customs were involved, then that would be in relation to establishments' alcohol and tobacco licences, as VAT and work-permits fall under different governing authorities.

We are looking into this and the reports of inspections. To this end we'd be grateful if NN would elaborate on when the inspections he mentioned took place.

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
09/01/2009 22:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 40 in Discussion

Interesting Gordon because the reason I posted was we heard this through the grapevine and other half does have a stall at your market and nobody has contacted her.

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
09/01/2009 23:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 40 in Discussion

wyn

This is not unexpeceted and nothing to do with credit crunch crisis or other financial difficulties.

At some point in any country the authorities bite back at those that are breaking the law. Within the criteria currently laid down the other half is within the law however there are many who blatantly break the law and plead "I am British, you cannot hurt me"!!!!

Whistler

Message Posted:
10/01/2009 13:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 40 in Discussion

Ihave friends that do Carpenters and they said there was no-one there checking yesterday.

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
10/01/2009 13:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 40 in Discussion

The TRNC rumour mill strikes again?

Lambousa Gordon

Message Posted:
10/01/2009 15:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 40 in Discussion

Sorry, CiH

We dont have contact details for all the stallholders but we did contact everyone we could.

In the event there were no inspections today.

We'd still appreciate NastyNipper's better advice as to what actually transpired at the markets yesterday though.

brian24001

Message Posted:
10/01/2009 15:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 40 in Discussion

CIH,

Does this extend to people who [at the market] sell off excess household goods, old personal effects, does it then extend to anything you advertise and sell through the paper, say an old push bike?

Should 'car boot' type operations really require the bureaucracy sufficient to shut them down.

I am sure Gordon has to pay tax on the profits for the Chateau, as will official business' like Mr Fixit, but getting people to spend a little money, the 'money go round' is what will help keep some people afloat, and if a person produces a certain item, lets say cakes as an example, well, they will be paying taxes on the purchase of the raw products.

We see enough business' shut through bureaucracy, taxation etc, surely in a situation where people are earning a little pin money on a weekend (to spend), and others then enjoy a morning out, and at the end of the operation, it would cost more to recover the tax than you would take, it's better to allow small casual/social events to take plac

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
10/01/2009 15:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 40 in Discussion

Brian, I think that situation would be ok if it were not on a regular basis - because then it would be seen to be a business and a business has to pay tax.

You could compare it to a boot sale in the uk where you sell off your own household goods and do not have to pay tax. However when you get people selling other peoples goods and certain home made goods then it's treated as a business, unfortunately, and the tax man wants his slice of tax.

Nastynipper

Message Posted:
10/01/2009 15:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 40 in Discussion

I have spoken with my " contacts" and lambousa was not visited today,

My " contact " tells me just as they did at the trnc trade fair at Lefkosia ( it was in cyprus today ) they may do a spot check on any of the markets to ensure "offical " tills are being used and recipts are being given in accordance with the law.

If kdv is due on goods the the goverment should recieve it also customers should be given proof of purchace so in the event of a problem they have recourse.

This does not sound unreasonable does it ?

onlyme

Message Posted:
10/01/2009 15:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 40 in Discussion

well said brian and to all the other holier than thou persons ,if you never broken the law knowingly or unknowingly thenyou shouldnt really be casting stones,also worth mentioning is that many mainlanders and turkish cypriots not only buy but also sell at the various markets which have quickly become an integral part of there society as well as ours,long they continue,especially the cake stalls

Lambousa Gordon

Message Posted:
10/01/2009 16:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 40 in Discussion

We're looking into the regulations regarding second-hand and home-made products. In any case it turns out that the majority of our stall-holders are registered businesses.

Nipper you said "I spotted customs at 2 markets today clocking stall holders and asking about receipts and kdv !!"

Could you tell us when and where as the markets we have spoken to have said that there were no inspections.

Nastynipper

Message Posted:
10/01/2009 16:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 40 in Discussion

Lambousa Gordon you know very wll it matters not if stall holders are registered businesses or not recipts should be issued and this is the law.

Sorry I can not give more details re the inspections as I would be breaking a confidence, I am sure you understand.

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
10/01/2009 16:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 40 in Discussion

Gordon

It will be interesting to see if you get a reply, my guess is you won't.

AJ

Lambousa Gordon

Message Posted:
10/01/2009 16:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 40 in Discussion

Probably not AJ though I confess I'm very confused as Nipper first said that he spotted customs but now he can't betray a confidence. To whom? Himself? I really do not understand...

bondi

Message Posted:
10/01/2009 17:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 40 in Discussion

The more I read the more I feel I am in Moonshine Country and the revenue men are just around the corner! These markets are godsend to both Turkish Cypriots and ex pats alike plus all the tourists that come along - the odd pieces of household goods on sale, nearly new or in some cases newly old clothes that change hands are not going to make much difference are they? Used books and DVDs are sold where is the harm? In these days of economic downturn, shops charging top dollar prices -the market should come into its own now - perhaps that is what someone or some people are worried about.

With an election not far off a "ruling party" is not going to pull the rug from under its voters feet by such raids when the voters are getting are getting what they consider bargains from the markets? If anything after 19th April is the time to start worrying.

Good on you all those who are running successful markets and long may they continue!

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
10/01/2009 17:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 40 in Discussion

Nastynipper

'I spotted customs at 2 markets today clocking stall holders and asking about receipts and kdv !!'

Posted 9/01/09

You mean your contact did not tell you before hand?

Gordon which markets were active yesterday?

No sorry perhaps I should be asking Nastynipper which markets were active yesterday.

AJ

Littlenige

Message Posted:
10/01/2009 17:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 40 in Discussion

Hmmm Is it me or is there an avoidence to the contets of nn's post ??

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
11/01/2009 00:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 40 in Discussion

RE msg 20 & 21, Littlenige: (...) Hmmm Is it me or is there an avoidence to the contets of nn's post ?? (...)

===> Hmmm? Hmmm? What hmmm?! Is it you or Nastynipper who is using the spellchecker?! You're like brothers in evil...

PS. Webmaster and mods: high time, really high time to check the double posters and delete one of 'em. (Just a thought.).

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
11/01/2009 00:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 40 in Discussion

Hans

Fear not there are new moderator tools on the way and I just might take up my moderator status again.

Take care

AJ

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
11/01/2009 00:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 40 in Discussion

Nige

I do not understand why you keep posting the same message twice, secondly who are you referring to re 'nn', negative nick or Nastynipper or do you think that both are the same?

AJ

Littlenige

Message Posted:
11/01/2009 07:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 40 in Discussion

i am me i know who I am the thing is a j WHAY ARE YOU ?

bondi

Message Posted:
11/01/2009 07:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 40 in Discussion

Someone somewhere has certainly stirred up a brouhaha about the markets. For the record, what are the regulations that govern the individual who sells second hand goods? tax wise? quality etc? New Goods? or is it the regularity of weekly trading that is the crux of this matter? Like Boot Sales in the UK, officialdom won't some after you if you "one or two off" a stall to sell off your old household goods and de clutter -but if you are seen every week selling it becomes a regular income or so it is assumed.

What are the regulations that govern say Pegasus/Carpenters and Lamboussa for hosting them? what is the difference if you say pay for a table or if you don't? Does the liability shift at a certain point?

Has there been any "tax/KDV" inspector raids in the recent past? and if so what happened? I think before everyone gets their knickers in a twist it might be an idea that everyone who has a stall or is thinking of running one knows the score! Stop the mischief making.

deecyprus4

Message Posted:
11/01/2009 08:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 40 in Discussion

most of the problem here, is expats stabbing expats in the back.

Littlenige

Message Posted:
11/01/2009 08:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 40 in Discussion

oops typo i am me i know who I am the thing is a j WHAT ARE YOU ?

A mod or not a mod ?

an ex mod wanting to be a mod and having access to members details ?

Quite a chalange trying to keep members details confidential i WOULD suspect!!

simbas

Message Posted:
11/01/2009 08:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 40 in Discussion

Morning Dee , my question is WHY ?? you would think that they would be supportive instead , would'nt you ?

Regards , Simbas

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
11/01/2009 08:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 40 in Discussion

Dee

Re your message 26.

Brit expats do appear sometimes to make life hard for themselves.

deecyprus4

Message Posted:
11/01/2009 08:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 40 in Discussion

Morning all, that was kev's post altho I do agree with him...we should all get loved up and support each other....

I am always happy to help an expat or cypriot....as long as they deserve it.

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
11/01/2009 08:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 40 in Discussion

Nige

'an ex mod wanting to be a mod and having access to members details ?

Quite a chalange trying to keep members details confidential i WOULD suspect!!'

For your information and just to clarify the situation, firstly I am still on the moderators list despite me asking to be removed but I am seriously considering carrying on with my mod status because Izzet has introduced some new tools to make a moderators life easier.

Secondly I have the same access to members profiles as does anyone else that has posted more than (I think) 50 times. So that means you have the same access to members profiles as I do.

If you have anymore concerns then please do not hesitate in contacting me via e-mail which you have access to on my profile.

AJ

bridie

Message Posted:
11/01/2009 12:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 40 in Discussion

Re message 15.

NN, very apt name! No idea how long you have been in business here, but let me remind you, to have official receipts printed, first you must show your offical documents to the printer that you are an official company. I have had an extremely successful business here for twenty three years, paid all my taxes and dues etc., suffered much business jealousy, and recently closed my company.

It never worried me what other people were doing, as I was too busy concentrating on getting my own business right. I cannot see anything wrong in innocent weekend markets, after all these stallholders are hardly going to become multimillionaires. It is more of a social gathering which is part of life. I suggest you put more sugar on your grapes , life is very short.

By the way, going onto the internet and telling the world, is hardly keeping a secret!!

negativenick

Message Posted:
11/01/2009 12:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 40 in Discussion

mess 32 - thought "NN" was me ! - phew.....

Extreemly succesful business for 23 years ? - what were you doing 23 years ago, selling Donkey's ?? - i thought not much real business was done until 2003 when the Brits started buying...

Perhaps you could enlighten us...

Nick

ps: what's the diference between a succesful business and an EXTREEMLY sucessful one ??

lulubell

Message Posted:
11/01/2009 12:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 40 in Discussion

hi does anyone have any info on the kdv till and who supplies you with one? Or do you get one if you register self employed with accountant?

thanks

bridie

Message Posted:
11/01/2009 12:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 40 in Discussion

Mess. 33-- No, not quite selling donkeys, but a business that no one else did.

The difference between successful and extremely successful.... staying the course, fighting the tax office (a race unto themselves worldwide) finishing what seemed like riding the Grand National without a saddle, and eventually achieving what we came here to do. I wake in the morning look at the mountains and say thank God I am here .

May I add, thankyou to Lambousa Gordon's dear Father John, who kindly helped us when we arrived, by loaning us vital equipment,(ours got stuck in containers in Portugal for six months) we may have collapsed before we started.

maddog

Message Posted:
11/01/2009 13:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 40 in Discussion

The tax men were in Liaisons Bar and all surrounding shops yesterday afternoon(Ozankoy)

Nastynipper

Message Posted:
11/01/2009 17:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 40 in Discussion

How very interesting the usual do not work you are working illegally and you must have this that and the other brigade and there comerades if you can not afford to live here go home crew have very little to say on this.

Are they making jam, dodgy illegal dvds ?growing plnts or making cards ??

I know not but would be very interested in theur double standards ??

negativenick

Message Posted:
11/01/2009 17:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 40 in Discussion

mess 35 - goot and interesting post - well done !

Nick

Lilli

Message Posted:
11/01/2009 22:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 40 in Discussion

hi all i think scare mongers birdie well said lulubell the tax office will advise you as they have to give you the letter to get a stamp made any help email me. i cant beleive this peeople live here got residency etc buy books at perhaps 4 pounds a book and sell for one pound ok they make pies cakes james etc but its a social scene and i think they are trying to scare gordon and stal holders who all try to put community spirt here.with no back up substance

lulubell

Message Posted:
12/01/2009 02:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 40 in Discussion

hi lilli

yes thanks for that amore i will email for more info..hope your well.ye sit does seem unfair even though i dont really know much about this situation seems like a social event though and not a huge money making scene,its not rocket science.. perhaps they need to spend more time pursuing real criminals.

anyway chat soon lilli amore

take care.x

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.