North Cyprus Tourist Board - Will there ever be a solution to the Cyprus property problem?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Will there ever be a solution to the Cyprus property problem?

Will there ever be a solution to the Cyprus property problem?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

» North Cyprus Property Development Reviews

» Property Buying Guide to North Cyprus

Bradus

Message Posted:
11/01/2009 21:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 26 in Discussion

I have read the many differing views with regards to how posters envisage the property problem being solved. What amazes me is that with negotiations going on, why is no one truely aware of the extent of this problem?

Surely a starting point would be: how many actually want to return to their homes/land? How many want compensation? How many are looking at a legal exchange? Do people wish to continue residing in their present accomodation? Exactly how much land has been appropriated? How much land was government owned rather than individually owned?

Surely any negotiations would need this information before any agreement can be made? Failure to consider this would lead to settlements being made that suit politicians rather than the people. This would result in further injustices and do little to promote unification or settlement.

negativenick

Message Posted:
11/01/2009 21:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 26 in Discussion

absolutely definately NO !!

If things were to get sorted and TRNC joind the EU and the Euro - the savings interest rate would be about 2% - i think there would be huge problems amongst the Expats, who rely on the current 20% to maintain a good standard of living.

Nick

Linus

Message Posted:
11/01/2009 21:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 26 in Discussion

I am sure all those statistics are available to hand for the politicians trying to broker a deal. People returning to their original homes in my view is not practical but compensation is. I suspect the EU would pick up a big chunk of the cost if this it what it takes to get a deal. People with exchange properties could well be asked for a contribution having bought properties well below the market value. I guess we will have to wait and see. Reunification will bring major benefits for everybody so in my view whatever it takes they should do it

Lilli

Message Posted:
11/01/2009 21:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 26 in Discussion

hi bradus i think they is such a lot we are not being told and whilst i agree the ex pats who rely on the high rate of interest will suffer eventually we must remember that its not our country and the welfare and future of the good cypriot people who live here has to be considered, as has the future of thier children. the bad guys have made thier money ok they wont want to show it but with the amoun of black money here they know the way. i would want any child of mine to have the same rights and benefits of any european child.i spoke ot my friend from ankara today and he told me that its thier wish to become part of europe for thie childrens sake, and that is from a secular country. sorry nick xx

newlad

Message Posted:
11/01/2009 21:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 26 in Discussion

Hi Sue,

Oh to have a crystal ball.Knowledgeable people that i have spoken to tell me that 2009 will be the year.But they also say that if it doesnt happen this year then it never will.So many issues need to be sorted out.One of the biggest being the withdrawal of Turkish troops.

I feel sorry for Talat in all of this as the gcs have him over a barrel really.He has his resume in the talks but therre is no way that Chrisofias will move an inch to compensate.Why should they as they hold all the aces.The talks are two one sided,and the gcs are revelling in this.

Personally i think something will happen this year.But things will happen in stages.The Limnitis crossing will be a sweetener that will be offered soon i feel and then the talks on direct flights.As for the rest property etc we will have to wait and see.Obviously just my opinion you understand,

Paul.

brian24001

Message Posted:
11/01/2009 21:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 26 in Discussion

The speediest solution would undoubtedly be for the Turkish military to resume operations, and continue heading west until Paphos is reached.

However, this may result in the UN, the EU, and of course a few GC's being rather miffed.

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
11/01/2009 21:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 26 in Discussion

Nick. You are very perceptive. I like your tongue in cheek posts

negativenick

Message Posted:
11/01/2009 21:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 26 in Discussion

mess 4 - Lilli, if the rate plumets you'll be dead in the water my love...

if the majority of your punta's are Bits and i suspect they are, if they see a reduction in savings interest of 90%, they'll be staying in ad eating grass !

keep your fingers crossed !

Nick

jay76

Message Posted:
11/01/2009 21:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 26 in Discussion

if there was a solution would the north still be called the trnc.

Lilli

Message Posted:
11/01/2009 21:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 26 in Discussion

hi nick i agree with all you ay but we have been told by certain ambasadors that its already a done deal all this is a formality. you just dont know what to beleive. we went to the races on boxing day and it was full of un people who tod me they areconting the days to move out. however you are so right we and many others will struggle but we will have freedom of movement. we are asked to do many functions in various embassies but we decline because of the restrictions and if they got awkward n the border it would all be for nothing. take care my friend and i love your posts. anywat are yo not supposed to be with me in the bb house xx

negativenick

Message Posted:
11/01/2009 21:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 26 in Discussion

Lilli,

It's not a done deal...

My tenpennyworth is that there is nothing in it for the South - they are in the EU with direct flights than you very much...

as there is nothing in it for them, they aren't going to bend over backwards to reunite....

i'm in for the long haul

Nick

Lilli

Message Posted:
11/01/2009 21:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 26 in Discussion

hi again nick i agree its just what these people told me. i think all things being equal and like us i know you have had your problems. here we still are hoping and praying but i do understand for the future of this new generation the ones who hopefully wont be bitter both sides it will happen one day particular if turkey succeed. my friend is married to a london cyp and has just got her citzenship and was so happy two days later her son who is at gau had his call up papers. beleive it or not given the option of going back to uk to finish his education he decided to stay and gome to the army. i think that says such a lot xxxx

negativenick

Message Posted:
11/01/2009 22:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 26 in Discussion

"these people" know as much as all the other guessers.....

i'm trying to apply some logic....

There is nothing in it for the south to re-unite - their country is 35 years ahead compared to the TRNC...

They are also very bitter about what happened - i'm sure that the average GC would like the TRNC to suffer indefinately.

I'm not holding my breath...

Nick

WAZ-24-7

Message Posted:
11/01/2009 22:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 26 in Discussion

It most certainly is a case of wait and see.

My feeling is that there will indeed be some significant moves forward during 2009.

Bothe sides certainly do need a settlement. The money bags in the equation are the EU, UN and to lesser extent Turkey.

These three are important palayers and there is without doubt some serious backroom discussions to facilitate a settlement.

The UN envoy has indicated that both sides must agree and the people must be in favour. This sugests a referendum..possibly this year.

I foresee a very substantail financial carrot from the big three in order to get the deal signed.

I do not think, as some do,that there will any of : mass civil litigation, evictions, property demolishment, or mass population movements.

brian24001

Message Posted:
12/01/2009 08:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 26 in Discussion

Jay - Msg #9

"if there was a solution would the north still be called the trnc"

If my solution (msg 6) were adopted, it would just be called TRC

I am sure if the division remain permanent, one could see it remaining TRNC, however if re-unification happened, and EU bureaucracy, and Euro inflation gets a chance it will all simply be known as 'Cyprus'

thetruth

Message Posted:
12/01/2009 08:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 26 in Discussion

the best and only solution is close all borders and dont even speak to the south.the trnc is one of the safest places to live in this mad world,lets keep it that way!

newlad

Message Posted:
12/01/2009 12:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 26 in Discussion

And then watch on as the north goes completeley down the pan,

Paul.

fire starter

Message Posted:
12/01/2009 13:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 26 in Discussion

with regards to the property situation, i have spoken with a group of gc's.

basically no amount of money will make them legally exchange ,sell or give away their lands and property in the north.

it not all about what they can get.

most want it back because it belonged to their family and holds sentimental value.

one guy said to me he came north to check at what was happening with his familys old house, he saw people living in it, eating dinner in the dinningroom.

can you imagine how upset he was!

another guy told me he went to check on his land, construction had started on it and it was up to foundation level.

the builder was there, when he asked the builder what he was doing on his land, the builder just laughed in his face.

without taking peoples feelings into account the property situation will never be solved.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
12/01/2009 13:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 26 in Discussion

"The Truth".. ))))))))))))

The "crossing points" over UN brokered ceasefire line were opened as Turkey HAD to open them or pay HUGE recurring fines for breaches of HR..

It was a TC doctor that took TR to the ECHR for preventing him from crossing over.

The Truth could possibly be that you are NOT representative of TCs who like to cross to shop, work and visit their place of birth/ property in the "south"

newlad

Message Posted:
12/01/2009 16:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 26 in Discussion

http://www.famagusta-gazette.com/link.asp?twindow=Default&smenu=69&sdetail=7236&mad=No&wpage=&skeyword=&sidate=

newlad

Message Posted:
12/01/2009 20:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 26 in Discussion

Its no http://www.famagusta-gazette.com/default.asp?sourceid=&smenu=123&twindow=Default&mad=No&sdetail=7202&wpage=&skeyword=&sidate=&ccat=&ccatm=&restate=&restatus=&reoption=&retype=&repmin=&repmax=&rebed=&rebath=&subname=&pform=&sc=2350&hn=famagusta-gazette&he=.comt

Its not just me thats optimistic then,

Paul.

Turbo

Message Posted:
12/01/2009 20:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 26 in Discussion

I am getting so tired of reading the same news day in day out, I cant be bothered anymore: They all say the same thing and then ....nothing.

From the BRT paper:

Speaking in Karpaz yesterday, Mr Soyer reminded that the CTP had promised to launch the negotiations on the basis of the UN parameters and said it has honored its promises and opened the way for the launching of the negotiations aimed at finding a solution to the Cyprus problem.

Also referring to the early elections, Mr Soyer stated that his party will not be following a populist policy during the elections campaign adding that CTP is aiming to bring the Turkish Cypriot People into a position standing on its own feet.

(yawn)

pilgrim

Message Posted:
12/01/2009 21:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 26 in Discussion

Paul,

Your doing a grand job!

fire starter

Message Posted:
12/01/2009 22:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 26 in Discussion

turbo

i saw a pic of mr soyer in the news paper recently and it scared the hellout of me!

he was at some political meeting,showing his true colours i guess.

SaorAlba

Message Posted:
12/01/2009 22:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 26 in Discussion

jay 76:

"if there was a solution would the north still be called the trnc."

No. It would cease to exist.

Turbo

Message Posted:
13/01/2009 02:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 26 in Discussion

FS,, was it this photo?, I thought he had a moustache?

http://www.brtk.cc/index.php/lang/en/cat/2/news/44520

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.