North Cyprus Tourist Board - Border crossing
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Border crossing

Border crossing

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Cyprus Border Crossings

» See All Threads on Cyprus Border Crossings

magalan

Message Posted:
17/01/2009 19:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 31 in Discussion

HI all

First post - be gentle!

We are coming over on 16 March to LCA and plan on picking up rented car and driving up to rented villa nr Lapta. Is the border crossing open 24/7? Is the by-pass finished yet - or should I not be asking about that?

Alan

jesusjon

Message Posted:
17/01/2009 19:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 31 in Discussion

Hi Allan, ive done this route into lca 6/7 times and crossed the border at Metahan you pay extra ins at border in euros about 35 if i remember correctly its dearer for hire cars than private cars and it is open 24/7 but not sure if ins office is.no the by pass is not open yet although it is accessable and does get used alegedely lol.

Cheers John.

karakum5c

Message Posted:
17/01/2009 22:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 31 in Discussion

Insurance office is not open 24/7 if you arrive late at night or early hours of morning you may have a long wait untill they open up again around breakfast time.

suntanman

Message Posted:
17/01/2009 22:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 31 in Discussion

Insurance was 40 Euros for a month in May 2008.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
17/01/2009 22:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 31 in Discussion

OK as it's your first post ..

Please DON't called the Green line a "border" .. (only Turks and TCs and folk who ignore UN security Council Resolutions call it that .. light blue touch paper.) and ESPECIALLY don't ask in the "south" "where is the border?" - as you will be told - correctly - that the only "borders" in Cyprus are the Med.

You will be looking for signs for Kyrenia ( the crossing point is called Ayios Dometios) as you come into Nicosia and it is possible to arrange insurance beforehand -

IF you can get the reg number and make of car faxed before you leave...it is possible to have the insurance cover note faxed if you are going to arrive at night time.

PLEASE remember that you are only covered third party in the "north" in a RoC car and up to £2K .

Cyprusunday

Message Posted:
18/01/2009 11:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 31 in Discussion

MM I have heard lots of Gcs refer to it as a border, I know you have always had a bee in your bonnet about this and it always surprises me when I hear them say it. The last person to say it to me was a GC copper! That said it is still a border as I have a border between by property and the road so don't keep flogging the dead horse!

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
18/01/2009 11:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 31 in Discussion

Dear Cyprus Sunday re msg 6

UK Foreign Office News re Cyprus: "I also emphasised in the strongest terms that there is no change to our policy on the non-recognition of the so-called "TRNC"; we do not and will not recognise a separate entity in the northern part of Cyprus."

So, The UK, EU, UN, etc call it a "cease fire line" .. and you call it a "border".. !

Whilst I know I'm in the minority on here, the point is not lost on you as to who is "flogging Dead horses"..and has the "bee in the bonnet"..

doughnuts40

Message Posted:
18/01/2009 11:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 31 in Discussion

mmmmm

Below are just two definitions of a border. So, like it or not, there is a border between the TRNC and the ROC. The fact the TRNC is not internationally recognised is irrelevant in this case. The reason for the "border" being installed is also irrelevant in this case. A border is a boundary,line or frontier area, its all semantics really!

"The line or frontier area separating political divisions or geographic regions; a boundary."

"A boundary; a frontier of a state or of the settled part of a country; a frontier district."

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
18/01/2009 11:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 31 in Discussion

Dear Doughnut

re msg 8

I've had "this one" SOoo many times .. so the line separating Glos'shire from Wilstshire is a "border" ) You and I both know, that "Border" in the context of Cyprus, is a "wishful" thing enforced by Military might versus internationally agreed legally defined national boundaries..

Calling the case -fire line a "border" is making a Political statement - it is NOT factually / legally correct in the context of the "real world".

guinness

Message Posted:
18/01/2009 12:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 31 in Discussion

Last time I crossed from Gloucs to Wilts I did not notice the barbed wire, armed guards, watchtowers, minefields or UN patrols. Must pay more attention next time.

Guin

doughnuts40

Message Posted:
18/01/2009 13:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 31 in Discussion

mmmmm

In the context of the "word". It is correct to call it a border. When politics or opinions are involved, that is when the "word" can be misinterpreted. Yes, Gloucs does border Wilts, in exactly the same way that the M25 borders Greater London and the counties in and around it. Its not spin mmmmm, its merely a fact.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
18/01/2009 13:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 31 in Discussion

Nor would you have seen a Border guard checking passports when you crossed from France into Belgium.. nice try ;)

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
18/01/2009 13:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 31 in Discussion

re 11 Doughnut

the FACT is that there is only one country - Cyprus.. but don't let that get it the way of a reasoned discussion ;)

doughnuts40

Message Posted:
18/01/2009 13:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 31 in Discussion

mmmmm

I am not disputing the fact that there is only one internationally recognised country, that is a fact. I am having a reasoned discussion about this thread, which you clearly cant as your opinion is factually incorrect. I suggest that you start a different thread regarding the ROC as an entity, as you have exhausted your options with this thread.....

magalan

Message Posted:
18/01/2009 18:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 31 in Discussion

Thanks for the replies 2/3/4 and half of 5. Not sure what I've fired off from there on though!

Calm down peoples - it's Sunday and all that.................

Alan

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
18/01/2009 19:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 31 in Discussion

Dear Doughnuts re 14

"I am not disputing the fact that there is only one internationally recognised country, that is a fact" - so there'll no "border", then, surely ?".. ;)

Certainly, I have a weight of erstwhile bodies to quote at you ... so *I* reckon you'd be the one who was "exhausted" !!

Thanks Magalan. good advice... had a bracing walk along the Thames in Lechlade, today - cleared away the cobwebs.. As usual,we crossed above to Wiltshire without being "stopped" ;)

kyreniagirl

Message Posted:
18/01/2009 20:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 31 in Discussion

hello magalan,

Why don't you hire a car from a co. in the North (can recommend if you want). They will collect you from Larnaca & take you through the border & then deliver you back again at the end of your stay. That way you don't need to arrange insurance - just a suggestion!!

lovingcyprus

Message Posted:
18/01/2009 23:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 31 in Discussion

Remember anything you purchase (including car hire and insurance) is priced in Euros which as we know are virtually at parity with sterling almost certainly making the cost of hiring a car in North Cyprus cheaper, also remember hiring a car in the south and taking it into the TRNC you are only covered with third party insurance

RedSnapper

Message Posted:
18/01/2009 23:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 31 in Discussion

Just told my inlaws to fly to Larnaca, pick up a hire car and cross the cease fire line to the holiday villa in Catalkoy and all hells let loose...

magalan

Message Posted:
20/01/2009 17:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 31 in Discussion

Thanks for 17

Hire car in Larnaca plus insurance for TRNC works out about the same as hiring car in TRNC for a 10 day stay. Trouble is, it seems to be about £45 each way between LCA and crossing point.

Stewart

Message Posted:
20/01/2009 17:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 31 in Discussion

dear malagan

Welcome to the site, apologies for some of those who use it and are not too helpful!

If you are flying in to Larnaca or Paphos, it is better you rent a car south...check with the company first, not all companies will allow their cars north....check their websites.

The Crossing at Nicosea does not close BUT, the Insurance kiosk does ( between 2am and 6.30am approx ( allow half an hour either side to be safe )

Take in consideration, possible delays, waiting for your cases and getting your car hire, plus 45 mins ( if you know the route, or one hour if you do not, from larnaca ( it is fairly straight forward )

Good luck and welcome

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
20/01/2009 23:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 31 in Discussion

..and bear in mind that hiring a car in the "south" it will only be covered third party in the "north" up to about £2.2K .. If you are in a serious crash you could be asked to pay a LOT of money to get the car back..

If it were ME I wouldn't hire in the "South" if I was going to the "north"...

Better to find a company that will collect you..

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
20/01/2009 23:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 31 in Discussion

Mark is so right, msg 22.

It is no different to hiring anywhere you must be sure of the pitfalls. I am sure if you hired a car in USA for example you would insist on CDW, Personal insurance to £1 million etc. So why do people come to Cyprus and accept what they are given ie very limited cover. Do people never consider the issues of serious accident and what will happen to health care, transfer back to UK etc.

Your holiday insurance will probably be invalidated because the car insurance you took out was inadequate.

I know what will follow and who from but I am concerned that someone one day will wnd up with a major problem and will say - but nobody told me!!!!!

There is a case running about an accident in TRNC where a lady is now suffering serious injuries including amputation. She cannot get her claim settled because the car involved was from RoC and nobody will accept responsibility or appear in court etc.

You have been warned. Why is Cyprus different to rest of world?

Lemtich

Message Posted:
20/01/2009 23:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 31 in Discussion

Mark is right and if you pay with a credit card, the southern car hire firm will soak it up to its limit for compensation. Best pay with a Debit card with a fixed low limit and if you have a smash, I know a company that will get it back south and dump the wreckage Greek side.

Having said that, a positive attitude and a bit of road awareness ie, scan the road ahead up to 400 yards continually and you should be alright.

Lem

dickyboy

Message Posted:
21/01/2009 12:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 31 in Discussion

Hi Alan and Maggie

Welcome to the forum, May i suggest that you hire tour car in the North as there is so much that could go wrong using a South hire car as many people have already said on this thread.

Our neighbours always use Sun Rent A Car in Nicosia, they pick them up at LCA take them over the line to their office in Nicosia where they pick up their car.

On the return journey you take the car back to them and the taxi takes you to LCA all very easy, and they will be very competative.

Hope this helps you

Richard

sallyanne

Message Posted:
25/01/2009 01:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 31 in Discussion

Hello I'm new to the forum and I'm looking for a bit of information. you seem like a knowledgeable lot! i hope you might be able to help.

i have been reading with interest but i think our issue hasn't been covered. we are flying in to Larnica and staying in Kyrenia. we have friends who live in the Greek part of Nicosia so we were hoping to travel back and forth from north to south of the island.

from what i have read i assume we can hire a car in the south and pay insurance at the crossing to give us access to the north with 3rd party insurance. but i have also found information on a website stating that northern hire cars are not permitted through the crossing to the south at all.

is our only option to hire in the south and take our chances with 3rd party insurance?

Also, any car hire & insurance broker recommendations welcome. our trip is in April so plenty of time to resolve

thanks, any help or advice welcome.

batterboy58

Message Posted:
25/01/2009 02:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 31 in Discussion

Alan

I also would recommend car hire in the north, we always use Isak Rent a Car sallyisak@hotmail.com. very reasonable and reliable and good cars.

They will pick you up from the airport and take you to your villa and back and deliver your rental car to your choice of location. The charge for Larnaca transfers is £40 - £50 each way depending on the number of passengers.

John

batterboy58

Message Posted:
25/01/2009 02:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 31 in Discussion

Sally Anne

I do believe you have read right and your only option is to hire in the south for your requirements.

I have heard that http://www.petsas.com.cy/MAIN/default.aspx will allow cars to go to the north if you ask.

Could you not hire in the north, drive to a crossing in Nicosia, park up, walk across the border/ceasefire line/green line, and get your friends to pick you up on the other side. Then the same on the way back.

John

spanna

Message Posted:
25/01/2009 12:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 31 in Discussion

Hi - I know that Avis allow their cars to go north - I think you are supposed to inform them when you collect it...I rented one from them last year from Paphos and they were really helpful. As others said, you just get the extra insurance when you cross in to the north.

Take care.

jesusjon

Message Posted:
25/01/2009 12:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 31 in Discussion

Hi All, Regards the discussion on insurance at the border on hire Cars driven over from the south.on reading the last few messages it has reminded me that when i was over there in dec i was offered fully comprhensive ins on the vehicle.anyone else come across this?

Stewart

Message Posted:
25/01/2009 13:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 31 in Discussion

hi, When flying in to larnaca, I also hire from the south ( it gives flexibility of movement any time, North / south...for about the same price, but without transfer costs of £40 each way.

Not all hire companies in the south will aloow their cars north..check first ( about 50 / 50 )

You will not be able to cross without buying additional insurance at the crossing ( third party only available )...this booth is shut between about 1.03am to about 6.30 am ( quite possible it will be closed if you arrive in Larnaca about 11ish....the route is quite straight forward....welcome to the forum...

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.