North Cyprus Tourist Board - Happy Eid Al-Udhaa Holiday
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Happy Eid Al-Udhaa Holiday

Happy Eid Al-Udhaa Holiday

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about North Cyprus Holidays

» Book your North Cyprus Holiday online

» Book North Cyprus Hotels Online: Secure & Easy

AbbyG

Message Posted:
17/12/2007 11:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 11 in Discussion

Hi everyone in NC who will enjoy the Eid Al-Udhaa Holiday (as they call it here in Libya). Hope you have an enjoyable celebration. Do they kill a sheep in Turkey as they do here?? I think probably all muslims do.

I'm off to the Tunisian island of Djerba to spoil myself in a luxury hotel for 5 whole nights! Bliss! I'm just praying I can get some bacon for my breakfast as the hotel I'm staying at caters for mostly Europeans, and my craving for bacon is very strong.

I'm also very happy because my brother has today confirmed that he can join me for my viewing trip to NC in February, so it will be great to have him along to keep me in check. I've emailed him the Turkish Airline numbers in the UK to call to arrange his ticket, so I hopefully it will all be straightforward his end.

ukturk

Message Posted:
17/12/2007 12:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 11 in Discussion

hi abbyg

how are you and hope you are well

eid al udhaa is how they say it in the arab countries, the turks call it kurban bayram, over in turkey and cyprus they do sacafice a sheep but not everyone does but they still take the time off, ive got a nice break from the 20th till 27th bayram and then x-mas you see it helps being multi religious LOL (even thou im not religous)

im glad your level headed bro is going out with you to inspect the properties with you i hope you find something!!!

also have a nice break djerba is a lovely place, ive been to tunisia stayed in sousse wanted to go there but did not have the time

warm regards and happy holidays

erkan

AbbyG

Message Posted:
17/12/2007 13:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 11 in Discussion

Thanks Erkan

Yes it's great having the Eid holiday, but the downside of working in an Islamic country is that you don't have Christmas day off, unless you use up your vacation days, which I don't want to do as I'm saving them all for my NC trip. That's why I've made a point of having a decent break in Djerba and getting out of Libya for a few days. So while you're tucking into your turkey lunch, I'll be at my desk, boo hoo!! Happy Hols to you too.

simbas

Message Posted:
17/12/2007 18:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 11 in Discussion

Hi in ghana we call it laya and they kill the biggest cow they can afford { all to do with status } and they share it with the less fortunate.

happy eid all

regards simbas

Alasian

Message Posted:
17/12/2007 22:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 11 in Discussion

1)Western Turks and the Cypriots call it "Sheker" holiday. Sheker in Turkish means sugar or sweet. So, sweets are distributed to children that go around and ring the door bells of houses to get sweets during the first day of this holiday.

2)People visit each family member's/friends houses with chocolates,sweets and chat. Elderly people,lonely people are visited and brought sweets,presents. Children from family get small amounts of pocket money from family members.

3)The individually killing the sheep part is mostly not applied by the western turks and cypriots. Even if they apply this part at all, They do not kill the sheep themselves(rarely the do in villages) but rather buy meat from the butcher and give some parts to poor people and eat some parts themselves.

*Eastern turks kill the sheep themselves and call it the "Kurban(Sacrifice)" instead of Sheker(Sweet) holiday.

dodger

Message Posted:
17/12/2007 23:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 11 in Discussion

Hi all,

How far can this sacrifice be traced back.

ukturk

Message Posted:
17/12/2007 23:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 11 in Discussion

hi guys

alasian my friend you have actually got confused kurban bayram is the holiday this thursday

sheker bayram also called ramazan bayram is the festivel to mark the end of ramadan and this is when the kids go round the houses getting sweets or money in european countries

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eid_ul-Fitr#In_Turkey

now kurban bayram is the festivel that is 70 days after sheker bayram where people sacafice a cow or a sheep and is split amongst family - friends - the poor and needy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eid_ul-Adha

im in marmaris at the moment which is defo not a villiage i know loads of people who are going to get a sheep quite expensive thou 350ytl a sheep

also spoke to friends and family in cyprus some of them are getting sheep and some of them are just going down the butchers like you said

me on the other hand even thou im not celebrating it im taking the four days off aswell as xmas eve,day, boxing day nice break

regards

ukturk

Alasian

Message Posted:
18/12/2007 01:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 11 in Discussion

thank you ukturk, sorry,i totally confused the bayrams

ukturk

Message Posted:
18/12/2007 01:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 11 in Discussion

no probs alasian everybody makes mistakes

just a quick question mate where do you live in cyprus or the u.k

also mate in your post note 3 you say no western turk or cypriot takes part in the sacafice process they actually do mate in most villages in cyprus and all around turkey i even know friends in izmir and isantbul who are getting a sheep

the law here in turkey changed that it is now forbiden to perform this in puplic places in big citys only in the privacy of your own garden but still ok in the villages

paul

kurban bayram came from the days of abraham when he intended to sacrifice his son ismail as proof of his loyalty to god, and this celebration is in honour of the gratitude of god saving the prophets sons life im not to sure on the dates mate to tell you the truth mate im not that religious i just know the story and when it is

hope this answers your question mate

regards to you all

ukturk (erkan)

Alasian

Message Posted:
21/12/2007 18:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 11 in Discussion

Hello my friend and happy bayrams/christmas/new year.

I have studied and lived in england and have studied and been living in Istanbul for many years. For me bayram is also only a holiday, but also a holiday time to see and be together with family just as new year which is like christmas to us. In my family we celebrate both bayrams the same, we gather,eat and chat and as we dont feast, we eat sweets at both bayrams so its easy for me to confuse which one is also called sheker bayram

I do not know much about what happens in villages as i am from Lefkosa and never saw a sheep killed in the middle of the street. Also about the western turks, there are huge parts of Istanbul that sheep killing on the street definately does not take place. Anyway, Turkey has many problems sheep killing in the middle of streets is just a visible one.

Sorry my friend, i would love to write you a long post to discuss this issue but cannot do it now. When i have time and you also do have, we can discuss it more lengthy in the future.

By the way, i am glad you are living in bodrum. It is one of the top three places in Turkey in my opinion,especially for a cypriot(others Izmir and Istanbul). A great author that has written enormously about our Ancient Anatolian culture has lived most of his life in Bodrum at exile when bodrum was a small village and made the village famous with his books: the fisherman of halikarnassos-halikarnas balikcisi..

I strongly recommend his books when you have time.

Have a nice holiday.

Regards,

Alasian

ukturk

Message Posted:
21/12/2007 19:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 11 in Discussion

iyi bayramlar

thanks for the tips on the books, you say you live in istanbul, i love the place and have many friends there, my favourite place has to be taksim

for me to kurban bayram is only a holiday and i would never conteplate in getting a sheep and sacarficing it,

i agree there is a problem in turkey and cyprus with this bayram and sheep killing in the street, where i am the belediye has restricted people if they are going to do this they have to do it in the privacy of their garden, most people now just go to the butcher like you said, and for the kids they get loads of sweets and share amongst their friends

even thou i like bodrum im not from their im actually in marmaris, and some family in izmir, if you ever come down to the south you are more than welcome to look me up and ill show you the sight

take care

and you to have a good holiday

warm regards

ukturk (erkan)

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.