North Cyprus Tourist Board - Use of Skype Mobile Phone
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Use of Skype Mobile Phone

Use of Skype Mobile Phone

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See all North Cyprus Television (TV) and Satellite threads posted so far

Daisy

Message Posted:
26/12/2007 19:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 9 in Discussion

Does anyone have any info on the skype phone that can be purchased in the UK (and probably elsewhere) that allows the user to make skype calls away from the PC and also allows the phone to be used as a "normal" mobile phone. We are currently in the UK and visited a retailer who said that the equipment could only be used in a limited number of countries and, of course, NCyprus was not one of them.

Currently we cannot have internet access and are trying to seek a cost effective way of phoning home.

Regards

Daisy

livethedream

Message Posted:
26/12/2007 20:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 9 in Discussion

Hi Daisy

Just saw this website advertised, don't know if it helps

http://www.three.co.uk/personal/products_services_/skype_phone.omp

Karen

pilgrim

Message Posted:
26/12/2007 22:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 9 in Discussion

Daisy,

just use a turkcell sim card in your phone when in TRNC very cheap calls to UK

regards

p

BILLY

Message Posted:
27/12/2007 21:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 9 in Discussion

I am with sunnycyprus .I bought a skype earphone/mike for £1.40 in the UK and use Skype all the time .

On Xmas day I phoned ,(from N/Cyprus) ,USA, UK several calls, Spain and Canada. The total cost to me was about one euro.

The skype was downloaded from their site via my sunnycyprus broad band and I use it all the time. It costs nothing if its a skype to skype call and .017 cent per minute to a non skype phone. The quality is excellent and I would recommend it to everyone .

I think tesco,s sell a skype phone for a few pounds but you can get one from any electrical type store.

If you do not have internet but have a wifi laptop you can get on to wireless internet at or near most of the big hotels and some of the internet clubs in N/cyprus.

sungoddess

Message Posted:
28/12/2007 20:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 9 in Discussion

Daisy,

Yes, Skype works a treat, but there are two types of Skype phones.

One is the type Billy uses, which is either a headphone/mic combo (like those used in call centres) or a USB handset that plugs into your computer. Download the free Skype software downloaded onto your pc, buy credit for your Skype account using a credit card, and off you go! I use a Ipevo VP170Skype handset that weighs practically nothing and does a great job! Cost around £15 I think. However, you must have the computer switched on to use Skype.

The second type of phone is being pushed hard in the UK, and is like a normal hands-free mobile hone except it uses the internet to connect. Some versions do not need your pc turned on, only access to a broadband line, and some work like mobile hones as well, logging onto the internet from free or paid wi-fi networks when you're out and about. So far, the reviews of the effectiveness of these are best mixed, and at £80 or so, they are not particularly cheap, and may not work with non-EU phone systems.

So, my advice is to stick with a cheap USB headset or handset and 20Euros of credit. better still, get the family to sign up for Skype and ring them on their computers for free - yes, free!

BTW, audio quality does vary and very occasionally I have had to ring people back due to poor line quality, but hey, it's free so who cares?!

Have fun!

jane

sungoddess

Message Posted:
28/12/2007 20:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 9 in Discussion

see above - for hones read phones!!

Paulkay

Message Posted:
29/12/2007 12:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 9 in Discussion

Hi sungoddess

Do you know if i was to buy one of the £80 phones would it work if i phoned N/C from england, and would i get free calls useing the internet to connect.

Or if not would it make my calls cheaper to N/C

Thanks Paul and happy new year

BILLY

Message Posted:
29/12/2007 19:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 9 in Discussion

Skype to skype is free where ever you call from.So if you have skype and you phone someone in N/cyprus with skype its free.

If you phone from skype to a land line anywhere in the world the cost is very little .

Usually .017of a cent per minute

Paulkay

Message Posted:
30/12/2007 00:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 9 in Discussion

Thanks,but how much to a mobile?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.