North Cyprus Tourist Board - TV programme on buying property abroad 17/04/07
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > TV programme on buying property abroad 17/04/07

TV programme on buying property abroad 17/04/07

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See all North Cyprus Television (TV) and Satellite threads posted so far

» North Cyprus Property Development Reviews

» Property Buying Guide to North Cyprus

Toon Army

Message Posted:
18/04/2007 21:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 27 in Discussion

Did anyone see the programme on buying property in the TRNC.It did not look very promising!!!!The programme suggested that the TRNC was too risky to buy and that lots of developers are not finishing the work.What do you all think?

suntanman

Message Posted:
18/04/2007 22:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 27 in Discussion

Interesting programme, but didn't put me off one bit.

Programmes like that either show the extremes of good or bad in what they are covering. There will always be problems with house purchase whatever country you are buying in. I must admit I was a little aprehensive at first, with the political situation and property title deeds etc. but after many months of research and planning, thought what the hell, and went for it! Life is too short to worry.

My philosophy is Always look on the posetive side, and don't think that in ten years or so you may be saying to yourself.. what if?

My experience so far with our purchase in N Cyprus hasn't been as straigtforward as initially thought, but on the whole, with help and advice from all parties, has been a rewarding experience.

Our development company has, so far, delivered on time, the only negative is I wish their 'construction update' website was updated on a more regular basis.

KeenBuyer

Message Posted:
19/04/2007 00:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 27 in Discussion

Hi, Having watched the programme the week before really meant to watch it this week as North Cyprus was involved, but forgot it was on. Lots of comments in work today however saying programme advised against buying in NC, empty shells of buildings left all over the place apparently. However I will make up my own mind when I see NC for the first time in July. It is worrying, however I think if a lot of research is done as to which estate agents are the best, which lawyer, what type of deeds etc. then I don't think the risk is any greater than any other emerging country, i.e problems in Croatia, Montenegro etc, even in Spain.

shona2

Message Posted:
19/04/2007 13:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 27 in Discussion

I watched the programme too and it has not put me off one bit. I did feel very sorry for the couple especially when the developer said the apartment would be ready in 17 days......Where on earth did he get 17 days from?

Notsoboredhw

Message Posted:
19/04/2007 22:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 27 in Discussion

Didnt put me off one single bit. We have done all our homework and not being funny where in the world do you not have problems like this???!!!! You could be in Spain, France, America - anywhere!!! There are going to be some of us very unlucky but I truly think if you buy on the right land, get recommendations from people and do some homework about the area etc etc I think you are OK. We took a chance buying in TRNC but had some great recommendations and have been looked after. I will eat my words if it all goes pear shaped but so far it has been excellent and I would recommend our agents to anyone, the developers and the lady who we bought furniture from - having said that we havent completed yet so maybe I am being a bit premature - I would like to think not! NO DIDNT PUT US OFF!!! If you are smart enough go for it!

Notsoboredhw

Message Posted:
19/04/2007 23:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 27 in Discussion

p.s. and our lawyer!

kyreniachap

Message Posted:
20/04/2007 11:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 27 in Discussion

Cyprus44 blogger Kathy has posted a blog on this very subject, written in her usual straightforward style. Boredhousewife - you'll love it!

http://www.cyprus44.com/blogs/2007/04/buying-property-in-north-cyprus-and.asp

Notsoboredhw

Message Posted:
20/04/2007 15:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 27 in Discussion

Yes I did love it!!! Thanks for that!

KeenBuyer

Message Posted:
20/04/2007 21:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 27 in Discussion

We are all in agreement then. Just to be on the safe side, as I missed the programme, which particular development was involved? Don't want to make the same mistake in July.

suntanman

Message Posted:
20/04/2007 21:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 27 in Discussion

It didn't mention the site name or the developers involved, but I think it was around Girne area, it looked quite like a heavily built up area (apart from the shells of un-completed apartment blocks)

Toon Army

Message Posted:
25/04/2007 22:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 27 in Discussion

Just another little note on this topic,there is a very interesting website frankandjoan.com.This couple have been out there for a few years and he writes a diary.I have found lots of useful info on his site.He has wrote an article about buying in North Cyprus and this programme and he has had a reply from the couple who were featured on the programme.All very interesting.Its worth taking a look

victoriasloss

Message Posted:
27/04/2007 17:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 27 in Discussion

For any of you that are unsure, we have a good guys section on the website if you would like to add to this section please feel free to email us. We welcome any comments good or bad to help us improve

http://trncpropertywarning.freewebsites.com/index.php

CLOUD9

Message Posted:
29/04/2007 18:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 27 in Discussion

Lapta apartment owner - who is very happy with the development and excellent customer service I have received.

Try shelteroffshore.com, which will lead you to Rhiannon's blog about daily life and it's ups and downs in TRNC as an alternative to frankandjoan.com.

All I can say in response to the televised programme is - don't let propoganda put you off - visit the North, and have an open mind and do your homework.

flossie

Message Posted:
29/04/2007 19:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 27 in Discussion

I have just sent an E Mail to the site saying we have bought twice in N Cyprus and would recommend both our builders. Our first estate agents were excellent and the second OK.

flossie

pizduck

Message Posted:
19/01/2008 00:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 27 in Discussion

hi all,im new to this site, but ...theres much to be learnt im afraid and if you take this message with a pinch of salt then you will learn from your own mistakes,good feedback is the key to success in this business,and only just a few years ago did the property boom start in nc,so its been a big learning curve for all,my parents where lookin 3 years ago for property in NC with my help and it was too easy to be true,i searched around for a good reputable builder which ended up being guess work as many builders where very wet behind the ears in the area with just 'newsites' to look at,so what im trying to say is that take the tv show seriously as my parents where strung along for 2 years with a building project, now the site is just empty ,unfinshed with the builder having most of the money in his pocket,demanding installments upto the day my parents visited NC for the 1st time since 10 months ago,they learnt the construction firm had folded up many months before hand and moved to the mainland,even the local lawyer didnt warn them before hand,such a shame as its such a beautiful place with great people,now there dream is broke,many others in the same boat also,glad to say my old folks still live in hope about this problem,thanks for reading guys.jc

dodger

Message Posted:
19/01/2008 01:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 27 in Discussion

Do you have any names of builders pizduck,it sounds a very sad story and my heart goes out but lets name and shame these people.

Bradus

Message Posted:
19/01/2008 01:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 27 in Discussion

What a sad story pizduck. What are your parents doing about this? Will they complete the build? D

simbas

Message Posted:
19/01/2008 06:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 27 in Discussion

hi puzduck welcome to the forum, its always awful to read about somebody's misfortune , and all the pain that person goes through , especially when you have had no problems with buying your own property yourself , it makes me feel a little guilty , as we are enjoying our villa in nc , and want others to enjoy warmness and generousity of the country ,its such a shame that there are a minority of builders with no morals . i do hope something can be done to help your parents , as we always say on this forum research research reasearch you cannot do enough of it .

good luck simbas

Milou

Message Posted:
19/01/2008 10:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 27 in Discussion

I agreee with the comments above and would like to add that often you read or see these articles when the market is depressed. Remember that it's not just in NC where the market is slow at the moment - Spain is a disaster area at the moment, for example, also the overseas property market, which is dominated by Brits., is often depressed when the housing market at home is depressed. We certainly have no regrets and are relieved that we found a beautiful haven to retire to and one that's still growing and not forgetting the joy of being able to live in a foreign culture where there is so much to learn.

Regards

pizduck

Message Posted:
22/01/2008 12:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 27 in Discussion

hello there all, thanks for reading my message,i do honesty want to tell everyone who is involved here but ive been instructed not to do so at the moment,as you can see im trying to let some steam off,all i can say at this time is that its one of the larger well know developers,if you are a local of nc you will of heard who this builder is as my parents learnt so much of what was 'going on' the 1st day there arrived, a site meeting was to take place which never happend as the builder never turned up,no one had seen him for months,the most alarming thing was the lawyer had not done any site checks before installments were released,nor any deeds in place, professionally very slack for a lawyer acting on there behalf to not inform them,what i must say is that the builder didnt have bad intentions to start with as he was very understanding to smooth out earlier problems that occurred,all in all with a slump in the market 'everywhere' this is what can happen to people,but to have no protection from the laywer is a worry,maybe its standard practice in NC and it just hasnt worked this time,how strong are these written contacts when the builder does the 'hop' ?.

jon26

Message Posted:
22/01/2008 12:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 27 in Discussion

hi pizduck, I was sorry to hear about what has happened. I too agree with the comments above same as Milou. I also hope something can be done to help.

Aga Buyers A G

Message Posted:
22/01/2008 13:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 27 in Discussion

http://latchfords.spaces.live.com/default.aspx

please contact us - we may be of some help

agabuyersactiongroup@yahoo.co.uk

Sandra, Pat & Sue

ABAG

paulj

Message Posted:
20/04/2008 12:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 27 in Discussion

im in the very earley proces of purching a appt in NC at thalassa beach resort can any one adive on a good lawyer

thanks

lovingcyprus

Message Posted:
20/04/2008 12:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 27 in Discussion

What TV channel was this programme on please

McSteviet

Message Posted:
20/04/2008 12:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 27 in Discussion

This is a program that was on TV in early 2007.

Paul has just picked an old thread.

Nothing new

MC

andre 514

Message Posted:
20/04/2008 14:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 27 in Discussion

trncpropertywarning-a warning!

looks like a black propaganda outfit to me, some kind of spoiling operation,

devoted to muddying the waters in order to scare people off north cyprus

now why on earth would they want to do that, suggestions anyone?

there are,on their advertisement-packed website,

lots of genuine horror stories of which there are very very many,

to quote the late hughie green, "and I mean that really sincerely folks"

making their campaign all the more believable,

you can't argue with the awful case histories presented in such depth,

they have picked up from here there and everywhere

and not feel grateful for saving you, along the lines of:

"I nearly bought property in north cyprus but now I've seen the light"

they do concede on their website that:

"not everyone in north cyprus is a criminal" (how generous)

as well as any inviting positive reports (really)

they state they are in contact with the highly respected

home buyers pressure group:

tell us hbpg, are this lot really in contact with you? have you met them?

oh and, er... there really are loads and loads of pitfalls and traps when

buying in north cyprus which are very fully discussed in these forums

and your commonsense, advice of those who tried it and did well

and got the property of their dreams, got burnt or even slightly singed,

hbpg, the brs and your solicitor, caveat emptor etc is the way to go

there are also pitfalls in getting out of bed, I somehow twisted my back,

the other day don't ask me how

a friend of mine is buying a flat in spain...

the project is already two years overdue with no end in sight

and an increase in the value of the euro means her total bill will be

three times more than something similar in north cyprus

not so bad really because she already handed over

most of the money eighteen months ago

but because it is facing a reserviour with a busy road in between

will probably escape being demolished by the local authority

trncpropertywarning, my sincere apologies if I misjudge you

and um...

property and holidays in trnc may come with certain problems

these need to be negociated with care and people have been caught out

the case for the trnc is however rather stronger IMHO

and may be said to include:

unspoilt scenery, considerable natural beauty, some excellent beaches

very amenable climate, especially spring and autumn

sheer value for money, most important in these uncertain times

for british people, driving on the left, uk plugs and sockets,

so no hassles with your hairdryer

and some familiar things including aspects of english culture and law

eg you can always get a decent cup of tea

fabulous historical background

charming and welcoming people

the unexpected (I cannot explain this coherently)

think like I do?

write to your MEP or MP petitioning to end the inhumane isolation

of north cyprus, the trade and air transport blockade...

to include the trnc in the community of nations and within the

umbrella of international law, explain how fuelling false hopes

will not bring true peace and progress to the island as a whole

andre

daily

Message Posted:
20/04/2008 16:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 27 in Discussion

great post andre!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.