North Cyprus Tourist Board - Opening a Bank Account
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Opening a Bank Account

Opening a Bank Account

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All North Cyprus Banks Related Threads posted so far

» See North Cyprus Interest Rates

wearytravellers

Message Posted:
27/04/2007 07:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 14 in Discussion

Hi,

Can anybody give advice on opening a local Bank Account ??

VRs-Dude

Message Posted:
27/04/2007 11:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 14 in Discussion

Hello

I opened an account with the Kibris Continental Bank in Karakum opposite Lemar. It was very easy just showed them my passport and took about 15 mins, there is one very nice english speaking girl there who is very helpful.

Hope it helps

Kitty1

Message Posted:
27/04/2007 15:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 14 in Discussion

Same applies to Garanti bank in Girne. Didn't take long and they actually gave us 2 accounts - one for sterling and one for lira. Got a visa debit card too.

Aylin upstairs is lovely and speaks really good English.

Notsoboredhw

Message Posted:
27/04/2007 21:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 14 in Discussion

Ive heard HSBC are good too and we hope to open an account with them when we come over in the summer - also if you need to transfer money through HSBC here to TRNC its slightly cheaper on the fees!

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
28/04/2007 09:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 14 in Discussion

We have a/c with HSBC. They insist on proof of residence ie contract. So if you fly via the Dark Side would suggest you send yourself an e-mail copy of contract and print off at a friends or i-cafe.

As with most banks you get sterling and ytl a/c's. Despite all the bad press on BB's they are no different to most other banks in that there can be long queues at busy times and I get on great with staff by trying to practice my Turkish when explaing what you need. They do not mind in fact you then become more than just another grumpy Brit!!!!

They also offer a very good internet facility with enhanced interest rates.

Boredhousewife, when we sold our house in England we put our proceeds into HSBC Intenational in Jersey. because we do not live in EU here there is no EU tax to pay on interest plus we transfer any money we need for free on the internet.

Since the banking crash here about 5 years ago when a lot of people lost everything, the government of Turkey insist on large bonds. Consequently all the major banks are almost totally safe (remember Barings) but some of the smaller ones mentioned above still have a risk factor attached to them. As a personal view I would open an account in a totally safe environment and then go to the more risky areas when settled and know more about them.

David

cypriot

Message Posted:
29/04/2007 18:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 14 in Discussion

hi everyone

I can suggest Turkish Bank in Nicosia. It`s well known bank in Cyprus and Turkey and also has UK branch in London Bridge and north london. You can send money from any UK bank via Turkish bank UK ltd with CHAPS transfer to TRNC . It cost 25 GBP up to 100khttp and 80 GBP over that try this link

http://www.turkishbank.co.uk/

wearytravellers

Message Posted:
30/04/2007 05:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 14 in Discussion

Thanks to ALL your advice is invaluable.

suntanman

Message Posted:
01/05/2007 23:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 14 in Discussion

Hi all;

To anyone that is buying in the Esentepe area, we have just been informed that HSBC are considering opening a branch in Esentepe.

Izzet

Message Posted:
02/05/2007 01:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 14 in Discussion

That's really cool!

Did you hear it from HSBC directly?

Do you know when?

suntanman

Message Posted:
02/05/2007 21:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 14 in Discussion

Hi Izzet

I was told yesterday by my Estate agent in Girne who banks with the HSBC. She said that she had heard locally that HSBC were eventually going to open a branch in the Esentepe area, but could not confirm.

Oknala

Message Posted:
01/06/2007 00:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 14 in Discussion

We were originally with HSBC in Cyprus, but unfortunately did have a few problems with them - they were not as efficient as they should have been, and it took a phone call from our acting solicitor to get them jumping. Now moved to the Turkish IS bank, and they have been good - English speaking staff available, and they seem to understand exactly what you are on about (not easy when dealing with me :( )

Notsoboredhw

Message Posted:
01/06/2007 10:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 14 in Discussion

Hi Oknala I too have heard HSBC are not as you would expect them to be. I know because we hear the name HSBC we think "oh great we have one in England must be as good as back home" but in actual fact I think out of all the banks they are the worse. Someone I sometimes work with has a house out there and he was over recently and wanted to set up a bank account and attempted to open one with HSBC 3/4 times and each time he went in there it was a complete nightmare and it was hard communicating with them or there were very long queues. I think he said in the end he opened an account with Turk Bank - not sure if he meant Turkish Bank or what? I think the best bank accounts are going to be ones where you can also do internet banking from the UK - does anyone know of any banks whereby you can do internet banking from home?

davidoff

Message Posted:
03/06/2007 01:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 14 in Discussion

Hi all,

Had feedback from a few people I know in NC and turkey who advised me not to go with HSBC I'm afraid !

They said that although HSBC banks abroad all operate under the same name that they are in fact all franchises of HSBC and operate differently than you expect!

Also in NC they have rediculous rates that they charge you to with draw and pay money into your accounts over there!

They are also lacking on customer services and are very slow at processing things correctly.

I went with bank garanti in kyrenia in the end as I had been recommended them by others who had already dealt with them and are happy with their service and propmtness!

See ya D

emrete

Message Posted:
05/06/2007 10:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 14 in Discussion

Garanti Bank ("Garanti") is the third largest private bank in Turkey with $36 billion asset size as of December 31, 2006. Garanti provides retail, commercial, corporate and private banking services to over 6.2 million customers. As of December 2006, it operates 487 domestic branches, five foreign branches (in Luxembourg, Malta and Northern Cyprus (3), four international representative offices (in Moscow, London, Dusseldorf and Shangai), 1,455 ATMs, a call center and an internet bank utilizing its state-of-the-art technology and focusing in customer satisfaction.

Garanti was established in 1946. In 1983, Doğuş Group - one of Turkey's largest conglomerates with operations in processed food, retailing, contracting, financial services and tourism - acquired Garanti. In 2001, Garanti became one of the largest players in Turkish banking sector as a result of Doğuş Group's strategic decision to merge all its banking operations under Garanti. Since Doğuş Group's acquisition of Garanti, its assets grew from $386 million reaching $36 billion by December 2006.

On December 23rd, 2005, Doğuş Group and General Electric Consumer Finance (GECF) signed an agreement to form an equal partnership in Garanti shareholding. Under the terms of the agreement, GECF acquired half of Garanti Bank's ordinary shares held by Doğuş Group - a 25.5% stake. Per new ownership structure, the board currently consists of equal number of directors appointed from Doğuş Group and GECF.

Branches in TRNC :

Girne - Kyrenia

Contact Stuff : Aylin, Canel, Zercin

10, Ataturk Cad. Next to Ordu Pazari,

Phone : (392) 815 01 14

Fax : (392) 815 01 13

Lefkosa - Nicosia

Contact Stuff : Gaye, Serap, Aydin

Arap Ahmet Mh. Osmanpasa Cad. No:12

Phone : (392) 229 09 80

Fax : (392) 229 09 81

Magosa - Famagusta

Contact Stuff : Yusuf, Orcun, Emre

Ismet Inonu Bulvari No:28

Phone : (392) 365 47 80

Fax : (392) 365 47 85

For more information about Garanti please visit

http://www.garantibank.com/welcome/about_gbank.html

For more information about expatriate banking please visit

http://www.garantibank.com/banking/expatriate_banking.html

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.