North Cyprus Tourist Board - Madeleine McCann
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Madeleine McCann

Madeleine McCann

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

Oknala

Message Posted:
17/06/2007 21:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 14 in Discussion

I wanted to do a blog on this one, but somehow, find the whole process impossible, thanks v much to Izzet who has done his best to guide me, but for the time being I give up!! (It's me being dense, nobody else's fault).

My main concern in the blog would have been that although Madeline McCann has had a lot of publicity, but it does not seem to have reached very far into the trnc.

We were driving one day and saw 2 young girls taking care of the flock of goats, and on the way back, the goats had gone, but the younger girl (about 5 years old) was standing by the roadside trying to sell some flowers. I was quite horrified by how vulnerable she was, and how easy it would have been for somebody to kidnap her? She would not have stood a chance. I really want to warn parents in the trnc about this evil that is around, and that they should make sure all of their children are aware of it, but how do you do that? As it is more publicised in other countries, these evil people are going to turn their attention to more vulnerable and innocent countries.

Any suggestions?

malteser

Message Posted:
11/06/2007 00:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 14 in Discussion

Totally agree with you Oknala. It is an issue that every country has to face, and it may be more difficult to highlight the potential danger in TRNC, not only for trusting citizens but for the British community as well. For many British families moving there, I think part of the attraction is the relative safety of the country in comparison with Britain today, and there is bound to be a 'it couldn't happen here' mentality, especially given the warmth and friendliness of the Turkish Cypriot community.

I suppose the schools have a significant role to play in raising awareness of the dangers of the TRNC's property boom and the influx of investors from UK, Russia, America, Germany etc.

Notsoboredhw

Message Posted:
11/06/2007 14:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 14 in Discussion

Any chance Izzet that this one can be top of the list for a while. I think it takes precedence over the others especially with little Madeleine still missing.

Notsoboredhw

Message Posted:
11/06/2007 17:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 14 in Discussion

Thanks Izzet

Oknala

Message Posted:
13/06/2007 01:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 14 in Discussion

Thank you for keeping it top of the list, but are there any suggestions of how we can make schools and parents aware of this? Can we sponsor some pencils or bookmarkers with the message? I know these are simple ideas, and a lot of you will have more practical and workable ideas?

Is there a way of letting the parents of the girl I saw (a very pretty one) that if she stands by the road, we will ignore her (for her own good) but if they leave a bucket with bunches of flowes in by the road, we will buy?

shona2

Message Posted:
13/06/2007 14:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 14 in Discussion

Hi Oknala,

Perhaps The British Residents Society maybe able to help/support? On a recent trip to Tunisia my friends said her picture was in all the coaches and taxis maybe this could be a start to highlight her abduction to the people living in TRNC?

I think we must all do what we can to help find this beautiful little girl.

Shona

Oknala

Message Posted:
13/06/2007 22:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 14 in Discussion

Thanks shona2. I think everybody involved with the Madeleine campaign have and are doing everything they can. I just want to raise awareness of what can happen so that no other parent has to suffer what her parents are going through.

It's not a bad idea to get the BRS involved, maybe they could publish something to raise awareness among Brits moving here regarding the possibility of abduction, but really, I want to make the Cyprus parents aware of the danger, before anything happens.

tinkerbell

Message Posted:
14/06/2007 16:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 14 in Discussion

why not print some of the missing posters from gerry mccanns blog and place them in shop fronts, offices hotels etc. the locals in TRNC will surely be inquistitive{sp} and the horrific story can be re-told. hopefully locals will become more aware of the situation and the threat of their own children been abducted.

sadly, long gone is the day when our children can play, walk to the shops, explore places etc safely. all parents need to be aware of this.maybe if someone from the BRS can arrange to go to the primary schools and speak to the children about the dangers etc and what to do if they are approached by a stranger.

dylansgranny

Message Posted:
14/06/2007 19:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 14 in Discussion

I totally agree with everything that has been said but would raise a couple of points. I do not think this country is in danger of abduction as the TRNC children do not speak very good English & would make it known they speak another language when if abroad. I believe Madelaine was taken to order probably taken to America for alot of money for a couple who cannot have children or the UK so a mediterranean child would stick out like a sore thumb also they are so innocent over here they enjoy their childhood to the maximum and that should not be taken away from them as it has in the UK. There is always someone from the family watching out for them even if you cannot see them. I don't know the solution but I do feel they are not in danger here from the likes of Madelains abductors.

tinkerbell

Message Posted:
14/06/2007 21:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 14 in Discussion

im sorry, but i feel that as long as there are sick, twisted people out there every child is in danger of been abducted. i do agree that maddie was chosen or picked before she was abducted. hopefully your right, please God that she was 'bought' and is still alive. but like in so many other cases of child abductions, it nearly always ends in the death of the child. these sick, twisted, evil people prey on the innocence of our children. i think we as parents need to be aware and our children definitley need to be aware of the dangers, no matter what race, religion or country we belong to and live in.

Notsoboredhw

Message Posted:
15/06/2007 13:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 14 in Discussion

Tinkerbell you are so right in what you say. I think whatever country you are in you always have to be vigilant. I am so protective of my boys I wouldn't let them out of my sight unless they are with relatives or friends and even then I worry about them! But some people are a bit more trusting and I think when kids are young we as parents need to protect our children as much as possible but also let them enjoy their childhood.

tinkerbell

Message Posted:
15/06/2007 15:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 14 in Discussion

thanks boredhousewife...i agree with u 100%. its the happy medium that we have to come to. we have to let our children be children and allow them to be inncocent while at the same time educating them on the dangers that are in todays society world-wide. We have to try to educate our children without terrifying them at the same time.

Its every parents worst nightmare, my heart goes out to maddies parents. hopefully she will be found S+S.

ian-mary

Message Posted:
19/07/2007 10:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 14 in Discussion

Madeleine McCann - ive just arrive back from cyprus. i stayed in Phapos but hired a car for a week. i went over to TRNC 4 times and for the 2 weeks i was on the island i only seen posters of Madeleine in TRNC - Does this tell me alot about the people in the North compared to the people in the South. ??????

McSteviet

Message Posted:
19/07/2007 11:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 14 in Discussion

I would think so

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.