North Cyprus Tourist Board - Flights to Ercan
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Flights to Ercan

Flights to Ercan

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Flights to North Cyprus

» Book North Cyprus Flights Online

» Driving Directions from Ercan Airport to Kyrenia

» Read about Ercan Airport North Cyprus

joseph

Message Posted:
21/02/2009 17:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 21 in Discussion

There have been a number of posts on our forum about Easyjet and Ryanair considering flights to Cyprus, but all these threads show any considerations by these same airlines are for Paphos and or Larnaca.

We have over 4000 members registered to Cyprus44.

So... why don't we all send an email to both airlines recommending/asking for them to consider flights to Ercan

4000 members and their families/friends could be 10,000 emails plus?

Airlines are in the business of making money just like everyone else and in the current financial debacle everyone is looking for an edge. I think they would have eyes like cash registers if they were to receive such emails given the numbers above. If nothing else it would keep Ercan in their minds eye?

Regards Joseph

basheer

Message Posted:
21/02/2009 17:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 21 in Discussion

hi I think that's because north cyprus is iligal ie only turkish airlines come via turkey

joseph

Message Posted:
21/02/2009 18:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 21 in Discussion

But isn't it illegal only to fly direct... what is stopping them doing what CTA etc do and fly into a Turkish Airport for an hour and carry on :-0

Also wouldn't it be another added pressure on the powers that be to get the agenda moving, experience tells us all that it is money that really gets things moving?

Regards Joseph

The-Wicks

Message Posted:
21/02/2009 19:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 21 in Discussion

Joseph - I cannot ever remember seeing any planes, other than Turkish, at Ercan airport.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

J

joseph

Message Posted:
21/02/2009 19:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 21 in Discussion

Sorry Wicks my post was not clear...

What I meant was would it not be added pressure on the powers that be ... but put by a big airline rather than people or interested groups... to be pushing for Ercan to be opened.

Is this not what is happening re pressure from the GC side to get the TC shipping ports opened and would you agree that the probable initial pressure came from the shipping companies for business reasons?

Politics is becoming the same everywhere... just look at the UK ...

New Labour have turned this into an art form whereby the voice of ordinary people is subjected to the wishes of "The Party" ... and nothing is allowed to stand in the way. Hate to say it but New Labour could easily have called them selves New Communists... no difference because the Party comes first

Regards Joseph

karakum5c

Message Posted:
21/02/2009 19:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 21 in Discussion

Joseph--- I dont want lots of flights arriving from the UK full of neds and lager louts trying to get their leg over anything that has a pulse and picking fights while throwing up.

Let the Greeks keep this kind of tourism its just up their street "bar street".

So what if its a little difficult to get here, that is one of the reasons i bought here, lets keep the riff raff out !!!

The-Wicks

Message Posted:
21/02/2009 19:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 21 in Discussion

Joseph - I take your point on 'pressure' being brought to bear on the powers that be. On the other hand, karakum5c makes a very good point that if such a thing happens, would NC be subjected to the 'lager louts, nerds", etc. arriving in their droves? I wouldn't like this (I doubt many people would!) I've used Larnaca airport a few times and it is a nightmare - and that's JUST the airport.

Must agree wholeheartedly with your comments about New Labour though!

Regards

J

joseph

Message Posted:
21/02/2009 20:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 21 in Discussion

Hi Kara..

Could not agree more on the riff-raff element and definately a major reason for me, however we don't all live near Stansted/Heathrow and flights from the North for families prove to be expensive to Ercan.

On the other hand... flights to Larnaca are very reasonable but I sometimes feel I am fuelling one economy when visiting another if you get my drift.

I have just priced flights via Larnaca in September for a family of 3 = £510

and this is direct... whereas same to Ercan... not direct... £1000.00 plus.

Despite stopover I still prefer Ercan but honest economics dictates differently?

Regards Joseph

karakum5c

Message Posted:
21/02/2009 20:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 21 in Discussion

Joseph---I stay in Glasgow, so every time i go back and forth its a challenge but it is one i have come to enjoy as long as it keeps my fellow Glaswegians in Majorca.

caulkhead

Message Posted:
21/02/2009 20:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 21 in Discussion

Greeks and Greek Cypriots are very powerfull in the Airline and shipping world. If any airline was to fly into Ercan it would risk having its planes blacked and prevented from flying into many of the major aiports around the world. It is the same with shipping and why vessels other than mostly Turkish registered do not come in to Famagusta or Kyrenia. They are monitored and any found flouting the embargo are blacked. This is one of the reasons why Turkey should not open its ports to GC shipping unless there is a quid pro quo.

joseph

Message Posted:
21/02/2009 20:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 21 in Discussion

Kara .. good points but you say I (yourself).. so I presume it is just you, we are a family of five, so you can see my point I hope

Caulk.. excellent post and shows some of the challenges ahead.

Regards Joseph

Macha

Message Posted:
21/02/2009 20:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 21 in Discussion

karakoumi5c:

"that is one of the reasons i bought here, lets keep the riff raff out !!!"

Erm...

Coachie

Message Posted:
22/02/2009 18:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 21 in Discussion

They (TRNC) will not allow outside airlines to compete with CTA,why should they ,they have a lovely monopoly going there along with Pegasus.But the main reason is ,that it is not recognised by IATA the govrning body of aviation,until that changes it will be status quo(no not the pop group)

Barrovians1

Message Posted:
22/02/2009 20:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 21 in Discussion

I read somewhere last year that CTA, were taking the British Government to court, because they were blocking direct flights to Ercan. The court date was set for February this year.

Anybody any news?

Bob.

flightholiday

Message Posted:
23/02/2009 13:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 21 in Discussion

msg 13

It might feel to you that this is the case but if so what about Istanbul Airlines, Bosphorous European Airways, Turkish Airlines, Onur Air, TWI?

These are ones that we have dealt with in our short aquaintance with the country.

Coachie, in the following quote you are hitting the nail on the head "But the main reason is ,that it is not recognised by IATA the govrning body of aviation,until that changes it will be status quo(no not the pop group)"!

This will probably not change until sufficient outside political pressure is brought on them to do this by the UN, EU etc. Who need to have a radical change of view (again brought on by outside pressures). Ask Embargo what help you can give and I'm sure it will not be emailing an airlne that has probably less political clout than the avearge EU citizen.

breezyboy

Message Posted:
23/02/2009 13:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 21 in Discussion

So we are going to ask Easyjet to fly to Turkish Northern Cyprus?

Can somebody remind me what nationality the major shareholder, and the second and third major shatreholders (his brother and sister), are?

Dont think it's going to happen somehow!

caulkhead

Message Posted:
23/02/2009 13:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 21 in Discussion

I think it would be wonderful if Easyjet were to put their weight behind direct flights to Ercan. If someone like Stelios was able to publically rise above the petty local politics, it would send out a very positive message to all sides and go a long way to helping to find a pragmatic settlement to the current problems.

The-Wicks

Message Posted:
23/02/2009 14:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 21 in Discussion

It might help if Ercan was actually registered as an international airport, which it is not & because of this is not licenced for international flights only domestic, the flights from Turkey a classed as such.

P

joseph

Message Posted:
23/02/2009 14:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 21 in Discussion

Well said Caulkhead... at last a positive reply to a simple request

This is what disappoints so many visitors to our forum... the negativity.

A simple request for positive action and people's thoughts and the thread descends into why we shouldn't,couldn;t and can't.

OK so the "do nothings" and the "why we can;t do anythings" have a right to say so but where are all the positive replies saying yes lets see what can be done, lets have a go and let people's voices be heard, what harm can it do?

Regards Joseph

Fingers

Message Posted:
25/02/2009 20:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 21 in Discussion

Can anybody reply to msg 14, as I was wondering the same myself.

Macha

Message Posted:
25/02/2009 20:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 21 in Discussion

It's hopelessly naive and unrealistic to expect any serious airline to break an international agreement and fly direct to the north of Cyprus. The commercial implications would be to serious to contemplate. Why do you think a hard-headed businessman like Ryanair's Michael O'Leary not considered this, for example?

Equally, would any charter airline or tour operator expect holidaymakers to sit in a plane for more than six hours, including one hour on the ground in Turkey, for what would be for many people a sub-standard and poor holiday destination which could be beaten hands down by cheaper and handier destinations?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.