North Cyprus Tourist Board - fatal driving accidents
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > fatal driving accidents

fatal driving accidents

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Driving Directions from Ercan Airport to Kyrenia

» Driving Directions from Larnaca Airport to Kyrenia

» North Cyprus Map

berkeh2001

Message Posted:
02/03/2009 23:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 22 in Discussion

i have a question whose failt is it that so many people are killed on cyprus roads. is it the goverments fault for not having aproper traffic system or is it the drivers fault because they drive to fast what do you think ? and a suggestion pls

McSteviet

Message Posted:
02/03/2009 23:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 22 in Discussion

I would think that every accident would have to be taken on it's merits.

Just because there is no proper traffic system, as you put it doesn't mean that they are the only causes of accidents.

I hired a car last year there and the car was in a very bad state of affairs.

Mc

Lilli

Message Posted:
02/03/2009 23:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 22 in Discussion

its the idiots that overtake whilst listeming to the stero which is worth more than the car. Its great they are taking all brit reg cars while bags of bones roam the roads causing death with no tax or insurance.when oh when we we see all things equal xxx

berkeh2001

Message Posted:
02/03/2009 23:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 22 in Discussion

i know but for such a small island too many people are killed on the roads i think both parties are to blame ,most of the tc drivers dont even indicate when they are turning i bet they dont even know what the road signs mean.the goverment are not doing their part at all to stop these accidents from increasing .

Baspinar Bob

Message Posted:
02/03/2009 23:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 22 in Discussion

berkeh2001

I think one of the major factors are left hand drive cars, almost always involved in fatal wrecks.

Bob

rollinbones

Message Posted:
02/03/2009 23:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 22 in Discussion

education, education and oh so many things that can go wrong... its a factor of many things not just one or two. Speed is the biggest killer on the roads, a majority of the time with drink or drugs. Lets not forget the safety issue here through MOT'S either, it will always be someone elses faulty here, and the number won't come down till they realise this...

daisy dukes

Message Posted:
03/03/2009 00:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 22 in Discussion

Well the guy that hit me was...

a) drunk

b)no license

c)no insurance

and 2 days later was back in turkey!! If you ask me the drink driving laws are pathetic...he didn't even get any jail time! With such lax laws why should anyone bother to worry, all you get for almost killing someone is a slap on the wrist, and that to me is not bloody acceptable! My injuries were so severe, i'm not only lucky i'm still alive, i'm also lucky to still be able to walk, albeit very badly!!

DD

The-Wicks

Message Posted:
03/03/2009 00:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 22 in Discussion

Driving standards in North and South Cyprus and Turkey are abnominable. I believe I am correct in saying that Cyprus (as a whole) has the worse record for driving fatalities than any other country in Europe. There is no "driving test" as we in the UK would recognise. Drive from A to B - you've passed your test. This subject has been the subject of discussion on here before. Someone (I believe it may have been Britvic) took her driving test here, having never driven before. I am sure that if it was in fact her, she'll give you the details!!

Britvic - if it wasn't you - please accept my apologies.

J

Navek

Message Posted:
03/03/2009 00:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 22 in Discussion

The mobile phone seems to be used more often by drivers on TRNC roads.

There are a lot of other reasons,

training, experience, condition of car/motorcycle/scooter etc and condition of the roads.

Cars/ with dim lights or no lights at all at night.

I have often seen rocks, oil, earth on the roads.

Also sheep/goats!!

And at night pedestrians walking along the side of the road in dark clothing.

Standards are very different to UK

deecyprus4

Message Posted:
03/03/2009 07:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 22 in Discussion

The driving here is extremely dangerous, I don't think these ppl take a proper driving test and they have no idea about road safety..noone indicates and the amount of overtaking regardless of blind bends or cars coming the other way is ludicrous...all those bone shakers should be taken off the roads....and those caught with no insurance etc should be banned till they get some.

puppylover

Message Posted:
03/03/2009 08:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 22 in Discussion

The Wicks.....msg 8.

Good morning/afternoon/evening (depends when you read this!!)

I think the person you are thinking about was me!

Both hubby and I were non drivers in the UK.

Last August we both decided to take driving lessons here which we did and we both sailed through the actual test.....me in 10 minutes and hubby in 20 minutes!!

Although we were both thrilled to have passed I have always had grave concerns at the standards of the actual lessons.

We paid for a complete package which included the student licence (provisional), 10 lessons and the test plus a 1 years licence.

Having completed the 10 lessons I was not confidence on certain manouvers and insisted on more lessons.

Our driving instructor(who I hasten to add was very good) thought I was bonkers to want to pay for extra lessons, but at the end of the end of the day I wanted to know that I was confident to get from A to B in one piece, without causing harm to not only myself but other road users.....

puppylover

Message Posted:
03/03/2009 08:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 22 in Discussion

When people comment that I must be mad to drive over here I always comment that having been a non driver I cannot compare to driving standards anywhere else.What I can say is that the standard of the lessons here leave a lot to be desired and the actual test needs to be based on the persons ability to be safe on the actual roads....not the fact that you can manouver the car out of the actual test centre car park!!At the end of the day for every person who does pass they are probably going to buy a car....and what does that mean?

More taxes for the government....says it all really.

fire starter

Message Posted:
03/03/2009 08:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 22 in Discussion

i think it is talking on the phone which is the major cause.

my tc friends do it all the time whilst driving.

vee123

Message Posted:
03/03/2009 09:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 22 in Discussion

We have been in the TRNC for almost a year now and i can honestly say that turkish/ct are the worst drivers i have ever come across. I have driven in most of europe over the last 25 years and never experienced such bad driving??

Until the government put a proper driving test in place which in turn would give the locals a basic experience in the process, fatalities here i think will increase.

Worst habits here from experience are mobiles while driving (and i thought there was a law on this)? no signals when turning, but by the look of some of the recks on the road they probably dont have indicators??

Lets hope the local government will take some sort of initiative to reduce these deaths.

Quarmby

Message Posted:
03/03/2009 10:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 22 in Discussion

Do they teach the T-C women to reverse?

Mindy

Message Posted:
03/03/2009 11:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 22 in Discussion

If a Brit learns to drive and passes driving test here, am I right in assuming one can only drive here.

breezyboy

Message Posted:
03/03/2009 11:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 22 in Discussion

Most reports of fatal accidents I have read seem to be late at night and at weekend. This maybe inaccurate but it is how it appears to me.

The common denominator could therefore be the same as in the UK, at least in our area of Cheshire.- Young, inexperienced male drivers usually with an amount of alcohol in their bloodstreams. This must be addressed by the police with extra patrols at these times in the areas serving alcohol.

The rest of the day I find it easy to treat them all as awful drivers, stay back from them and assume that they are going to do something totally stupid without indicating. In these cases it is unfortunate to generalise but it is better to be on the safe side.

Lilli

Message Posted:
03/03/2009 12:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 22 in Discussion

Hi breezyboy its every day here. We have the highest rate per captia in the world. They are young and stupid with no regard for themselves or others. The mainland are the worse as they drive other side. What makes me sad is that the t/cs go south or to turkey for transplants yet these bodies have to be buired intact. What a waste of organs that could help someone live. I know its their religion but if only I could introduce a donor card system. The women drivers are pretty bad here also. Telephones to ear constantly a must, then you try to park and they cut you up and shrug.

Stubs

Message Posted:
03/03/2009 12:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 22 in Discussion

The standard of driving is very poor as we all know. Why is it you can phone a plumber or an electrician and they are always late however when locals are driving they are always in a hurry?

Education might help along with various advertising campaigns like experienced in the UK and through time and education through schools only will it change through time.

Many of the locals have selfish attitude towards driving and think that when they are on the road that it belongs to them.

Whilst driving towards Alsancak not so long ago, whilst approaching Lemar, I was doing 50 kmph with about 25 metres between me and the car in front. I was overtaken with the driver cutting the nose off me then preceding to turn left into Lemar. With 4 people in my car and 4 people in his car this driver put the lifes and well being of 8 people at risk due to his stupidity.

Im sure we have all got stories about the standards of driving however it is how it can be changed is the biggest question

dozza67

Message Posted:
03/03/2009 14:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 22 in Discussion

Lots of idiot drivers around but traffic police just turn a blind eye to whats going on sometimes. We have seen things happen while the traffic police have been standing around.

berkeh2001

Message Posted:
03/03/2009 14:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 22 in Discussion

in cyprus if you know any one you can get away with anything

daisy dukes

Message Posted:
03/03/2009 15:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 22 in Discussion

msg 21...if you have a valid passport you can get away with anything...just hop on a plane or boat...or even trot across the border!! see my other msg 7

DD

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.