North Cyprus Tourist Board - DRIVING from UK to TRNC ! your experiences !!
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > DRIVING from UK to TRNC ! your experiences !!

DRIVING from UK to TRNC ! your experiences !!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Driving Directions from Ercan Airport to Kyrenia

» Driving Directions from Larnaca Airport to Kyrenia

» North Cyprus Map

snakes

Message Posted:
09/04/2009 21:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 84 in Discussion

it would be interesting to hear all your experiences on the journey ! which route and why and what happened on the way ! me and mrs snakes will be driving over in June and would like to know the many problems or great experiences of anyone who has done this ! also with the rules changing everyday where is best to land on Cyprus with UK reg car !

happy Easter everyone see you soon !! (hope)

regards Snakes

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
09/04/2009 23:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 84 in Discussion

I know of one member who has done the journey from the uk across Europe. Not sure what name he's using now but he's a very popular poster.

MiketheBike

Message Posted:
10/04/2009 00:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 84 in Discussion

Hi Snakes, we drove down last April/May, then drove back in Nov/Dec. If you want any info just give me a call on 01934 876170 before Monday 13th April.

Mike

Jaybee

Message Posted:
10/04/2009 00:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 84 in Discussion

We drove over a year last january.Had no problems at all Got the GPRS and drove down with that. Be carefull of speeding in Serbia if you come that way (if you can give Serbia a miss as badly signposted and insurance through very exspensive for a 8 hour drive through)Get your international Green card as its very useful at non european border crossings.Dont bother with international insurance as Fully comp insurance from the UK covers you for up to 30days in europe(check this with your insurance company)Also if your coming over get your insurance for N Cyprus before you come as it save time at the port They charged me 100 euros to bring my car through the customs as i hadnt got insurance for N Cyprus which was for 30days and only 1 driver.Just phone up an insurance company here and they will give you cover and Email or fax a copy to you in the UK (saves you 100 euros) as they will date it from the time you want to enter the country.Hope this has been some help to you Have a safe journey.

mfccyprus

Message Posted:
10/04/2009 08:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 84 in Discussion

i drove over last may all was well untill italy be aware if you come that way was robbed on motorway just outside milan i was one of three people on uk plates who was robbed at that time that i know about they pose as police and stop you on the road and take anything they can grab i personallly was robbed in motorway services they let down one of the tyres pull up in a car to tell you when you get out to look at what they are trying to tell you another member of the gang goes into the car and grabs bags etc we lost all our money,passports driving licences cameras phones and paperwork have since found out that the police are in on this so they dont respond very quickly to give them a chance to get away be aware

BigMart

Message Posted:
10/04/2009 09:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 84 in Discussion

We drove over with car and trailer last september and camped on the way, because we didn't want to leave the trailer unattended.. Our route was Hull-Zeebruge ferry then down through Belgium, Luxemborg, camped in France,next night in switzerland, then Italy. Ferry from Ancona to Cesme, this was three nights and saved all the potential trouble of the Balkans. In turkey the route was Cesme-Ismir-Antalya-Alanya- Ferry from Tasucu to Girne.

If you want anymore info get in touch.

Martin

daffodils

Message Posted:
10/04/2009 09:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 84 in Discussion

Hi we are driving over in August, did anyone do the Dover/Calais/Germany etc; route?

girne

Message Posted:
10/04/2009 10:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 84 in Discussion

same, was asked for back handers when we drove over even wıth 2 kıds ın the car. They took our passports and would not gıve them back tıll we gve them 60 pounds stg, even that was not enough. In the dark they stopped us for not wearıng our seat belts when we were. Agaın asked for money. Stopped loads as the boarders due to our ınsurance. Even though ıt was covered for europe they would not accept and made us buy another polıcy theres more.....................

Corinium

Message Posted:
10/04/2009 11:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 84 in Discussion

We did both ways recently.

The golden rule is to do your homework first regarding each countries rules and regs.

Make sure you have all your insurance, registration documents and licences before you go. Keep these with you at all times and just present copies to the border people.

As for the route, we only drove during the day through the Balkan countries. Absolutely stick to the speed limits as they look for any excuse to stop you.

Plan your route and stick to it.

We took around 5 days each way. Had a marvellous experience.

As long as you are cautious and expected the unexpected you'll be fine.

snakes

Message Posted:
10/04/2009 11:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 84 in Discussion

thanks everyone for your comments very interesting just ordered my 12 bore and vest !"!!!"

Mr Vince

Message Posted:
10/04/2009 12:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 84 in Discussion

Hi, we drove from Scotland last June staying in hotels and doing some camping when we found a site. Great adventure mared by 2 events. 1st beware of Austrian road tax. You need to buy a VIGNETTA as you cross into Austria. It is 8 Euro, otherwise you are liable for a 120 Euro fine on the spot. Watch out for Hungarians following a Brit Reg car and trying to get you to stop. We were followed for quite a distance by 3 guys trying to persuade us to pull over. Lost them at a roundabout.

Also watch out for money changers at Romania and Bulgarian borders.

They offer far better exchange rates than the official offices but they will rob you blind given a chance.

Our route Scotland, England, Dover Ferry, France, Belgium, Luxemburgh, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Greece, Turkey Cyprus.

European insurance covered all the trip except Turkey and N Cyprus.

Either drop me a note or give me a call on 0141 416 0512 (Glasgow Number)

ataturk

Message Posted:
10/04/2009 13:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 84 in Discussion

My friend drove from the UK to Turkey and only had problems in Romania İ met him in İstanbul and we drove to the ferry port Tasucu it was an experience we had a good laugh met some nice people and stayed in some nice hotels. Make sure you stop off at Mersin and do some shopping and eat in some of the restaurants. The ferry trip was a nıghtmare but we slept upstairs where the coach drivers were. Take your time and enjoy all the sights you probably wont do it again so take it easy.

simbas

Message Posted:
10/04/2009 15:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 84 in Discussion

Good Luck to you Snakes , you are very adventurous , i think i will take my chances in the air

Regards , Simbas

TheSaints

Message Posted:
10/04/2009 15:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 84 in Discussion

Snakes, would be good if you kept some sort of daily journal so you could pass on info to those that wish to follow.

guinness

Message Posted:
10/04/2009 17:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 84 in Discussion

It is worth noting that many 'European' personal travel insurance policies exclude Serbia - even the classic AMEX policy used by hardened travellers. So your car may be OK but just check you and your passengers have the usual travellers cover too.

Guin

elkiton

Message Posted:
10/04/2009 17:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 84 in Discussion

HI, Di and I drove over last May, extended honeymoon, we did a write up that has been posted elsewhere on other forums, drop me a line privately if you want a copy...it does cover the most "interesting" of the places like Serbia where we thought we were candidates for the acid vat and the truck broken up and sold for spares.......double yuck.

best regards

TonyE

elkin_tony@yahoo.co.uk

jardap

Message Posted:
10/04/2009 17:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 84 in Discussion

We drove over last year,France Switzerland Italy went by ferry from Ancona

to Cesme cuts out a lot of the Balkan states and the problems many people seemed to have had.Made it into a holiday took us 8 days to arrive here

sat nav is very useful ,so is a laptop as we where able to book hotels on the Internet on the way.The ferry from Tasuca is not good made even more so by the fact we came on one ferry and the car came on a different one,was very pleased to be reunited in Girne

Have a safe trip

rsalih

Message Posted:
10/04/2009 21:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 84 in Discussion

although it was 20 years ago that we did the journey, i doubt that anything has changed in Bulgaria, thay took our passports and would not give back .They of course wanted money and cigarettes. İt was a nightmare. Be very carefull and i hope you have better luck than we did. Apart from that it was a lovely journey.

dannyhagman

Message Posted:
10/04/2009 21:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 84 in Discussion

Hi, my Wife and I drove over in June last year. We travelled from Calais to Reims where we had our first night at the Formula 1. These are a cheap but very clean motel chain across France, about 34eu a room. Second stop was Chambery, again overnight in a F1. Into Italy where we had 2 more nights and we met the ferry at Brindisi. This took us to Cesme, Turkey, 2 more days travelling to Tasucu where we caught the night ferry to Girne, (Kyrenia). This was the worst part of the whole journey. Insurance wise, my UK insurance covered us all the way to Brindisi. On arrriving in Cesme you have to get Sigorta (insurance)in the port area, or you will not get out of the port. It was about 30 lira for 7 days. The same applied when we arrived in Girne. When you arrive in TRNC you will be given a visa for your car for 30 days, you get a visa for your self for 90 days. You must go to Lefkosia ( Nicosia) and get an extension visa for your car. It can only stay in TRNC for one year. Dan.

compass

Message Posted:
11/04/2009 00:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 84 in Discussion

No one seems to have mentioned the SIMPLE route which avoids all the pitfalls previously mentioned. Keeps you in civilised EU counties all the way. Drive through France and Italy.

Take whichever ferry crossing you fancy from Ancoma, Bari, Brindisi to Igoumenitsa in northern Greece. This ferry costs a fraction of the one to Turkey and is overnight.

Drive across northern Greece and into Turkey. We followed the coast road south to Izmir then went inland and diagonally south towards Mersin and Tacasu. The ferry to TRNC is the only fly in the ointment, everything else was a breeze in comparison. Then there's TRNC customs which is another story.....

C'pass

guidosp1

Message Posted:
11/04/2009 07:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 84 in Discussion

hi snake i drow from cardiff to dover,france holland belgium, germany( i loved there no speed limit on the motorway) austria, down to serbia,bulgary, across to istanbul (fill up before you entry turkey the petrol in turkey is very expensive) ankara, konia, tacasu and ferry across to girne. i left on the tuesday night and because i had to be here on the saturday i could'nt enjoy the trip,i only wanted my car over here and i had three day to travel from UK to TRNC. i traveled alone and it wasn't pleasent.

snakes

Message Posted:
11/04/2009 10:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 84 in Discussion

thanks again to everyone for your valuable comments I will log everything and post it for future travellers if we get there !!!

FatgrumpyB

Message Posted:
11/04/2009 11:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 84 in Discussion

I drove form UK to Cyprus and back again last year, I used the same route on both occasions. Zebrugge, Germany, Austria,Slovenia,Croatia,Serbia, Bulgaria and Turkey, With the proper documantation I had no problems whatsoever and I was on my own both times, I gave myself a week in each direction and thoroughly enjoyed it.

MiketheBike

Message Posted:
11/04/2009 13:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 84 in Discussion

I agree with Compass, we took the same route, down through France, Italy, Greece, Turkey coast, fantastic trip until the ferry to TRNC, then the brick wall at customs in Girne. Because we had temp residency stamps in our passports we were not classed as tourists so were only given one month to keep the vehicle in the country, but we were eventually able to extend this to six months, which is what we wanted as we were driving back to the UK. Because I had previously imported a motorcycle we were told we would never be allowed to drive another vehicle into TRNC even as part of an extended holiday through Europe. So our plans of driving down again this year have been cancelled. We were told by customs in Lefkosia that if we wanted a vehicle to drive around in we would have to buy one or rent one! We had no intention of importing the vehicle, but customs insisted we were not allowed to drive in again. If we hadn't had our temp residency stamps we would have been classed as tourists??

Sideways

Message Posted:
11/04/2009 16:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 84 in Discussion

Looks like I did it a different way.

Drove to Venice.

Ferry: Venice to Athens(Patras)

Ferry: Athens (Pireaus)to Rhodes.

Ferry: Rhodes to Marmaris

Drove Marmaris to Tacasu

and the worst of all Ferry to Girne.

Pete.

kaiserphil

Message Posted:
11/04/2009 18:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 84 in Discussion

The ferry from Turkey to TRNC gets a lot of mentions above - anyone care to relate the experience, if you can bear to re-live it?

guidosp1

Message Posted:
11/04/2009 18:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 84 in Discussion

it's the worse ferry i been in my life, dirty it's an understatement. no resting facility,no food,only crisps or tukish tea that all and painfully slow. never again!!

The-Wicks

Message Posted:
11/04/2009 18:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 84 in Discussion

Didn't I read on here recently that the ferry service from Turkey (Tacasu) to TRNC was no longer operating because of the appalling conditions - or was I dreaming??

J

The-Wicks

Message Posted:
11/04/2009 18:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 84 in Discussion

Further to message 28 - Doh! The one that is no longer running is the Mersin -Famagusta (or is this the same one?).

J

MrsSnakes

Message Posted:
11/04/2009 20:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 84 in Discussion

mikethebike and compass !! thank you for your posts can you give us more details please ie if you have to pre book ferries etc

regards

the snakes

Sideways

Message Posted:
11/04/2009 21:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 84 in Discussion

Reference the TRNC ferry, take wellies with you just in case you need to use the toilet. Take an old cardboard box like the locals do, so you can lie down somewhere. Wear old clothes because the seats have never been cleaned. There are a couple of T.V's in the lounge though. It should leave Tacasu at 9p.m. I looked out the window at 3a.m. and could see lights, I thought great we are here. Wrong, we hadn't even left Tacasu.

I have been on the fast ferry as foot passenger and it's a great improvement.

Pete.

Tootie

Message Posted:
11/04/2009 21:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 84 in Discussion

Www.fergun.net

Www.akgunler.com

Both sail from Turkey to Kyrenia.

tootie

MiketheBike

Message Posted:
11/04/2009 22:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 84 in Discussion

We only booked the ferry from Newhaven to Dieppe, the ferry From Brindisi to Igoumenista was busy as it was Easter in Greece, but if you have to wait a day, explore. We were in no rush as we were camping in our Mazda Bongo, we took three and a half weeks to travel down. The west coast of Italy and the coast of Turkey were just fantastic, plus all of the ancient sites to visit in both countries. We spent one day in Galipolli, two days in Ephesus a must to see. Make absolutely certain that your vehicle registration document details match those in your passport. I had Mike on the van log book and Michael in my passport, that took us two hours to convince customs in Girne I was the same person!

compass

Message Posted:
12/04/2009 23:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 84 in Discussion

Hi Snakes

I booked the channel ferry crossing and the Italy to Greece ferry on line because we were travelling in July ( why is a long story and I don't recommend that time of year - 48 degrees cent across parts of Turkey!!!) We sailed from Bari 'cos that's all we could book by the time we fixed our plans, but we wanted to use Ancona as it saves about 500 miles of driving and from memory it doesn't cost much more.

If you are travelling at quieter times you may not have to book them, it's up to you. Like Mike the bike we were in our camper van so made the trip into a 2 week holiday.

Didn't really rate Italy as it wasn't very camper friendly compared to France, Greece and Turkey. Northern Greece was very nice, stayed a couple of nights on a 1km long beach with about 6 campers spread out along it. Small resort town nearby full of locals no other UK vehicles around - great. Turkey was the best of all as the people were the friendliest and the scenery was fab.

Just do it!!!

baxi7

Message Posted:
29/05/2009 17:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 84 in Discussion

mike , can you explain the reasoning with custom,s not allowing you to come back in a different vehicle on to the island .? .

MiketheBike

Message Posted:
29/05/2009 21:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 84 in Discussion

Hi Baxi7

The reason customs would not allow us to return to TRNC in the same or another vehicle was because I had previously imported a motorcycle, even though it was a 'classic' ie over 25 yrs old (only allowed one vehicle). Also when I pointed out to customs that we were leaving TRNC after a period of six months and had no intention of importing this or another vehicle as we were on holiday, they said we were no longer classed as 'visitors' as we had temporary residency stamps in our passports. I mentioned that the customs stamp clearly states 'visitor' on entry to TRNC, but they insisted we were residents, so could no longer be 'classed' as tourists! A note was made on their computer to the effect never allowing us to drive another vehicle into TRNC. We would have made the trip again, even though the ferry to TRNC was basic, slow, dirty, lacking facilities and expensive.

baxi7

Message Posted:
01/06/2009 13:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 84 in Discussion

hi mike , thaks for reply , seems i am in the same position only van came in the wifes name , customs very reluctant to explain situation , ? .jan 09 crossed at metehan , nicosia from the south in uk reg car , on the 31 day customs impounded the car , had car for 6 weeks , they told me i had to go off the island with car to turkey and not bring it back , fined 460 tlr car back in the south now after 4 visits to british embassy , 6 emails to mep , contact to foreign office .still will not tell me which law i broke ? .

coolkid

Message Posted:
02/06/2009 13:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 84 in Discussion

hi is there an advantage in being a tourist to temp residence presume even if you own aproperty and stay less than 30 days at atime still classed as a tourist

thanks

baxi7

Message Posted:
02/06/2009 21:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 84 in Discussion

coolkid , im all for being the tourist , if they will leave me alone ? .

madbiker

Message Posted:
26/05/2010 15:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 84 in Discussion

I am planning in a trip from Larnaca to the UK.

I'm planning to ride from Cyprus going into the north side of Cyprus to take the ferry to Turkey (landing Tasucu). From Tasucu ride to the border from Bulgaria and head to UK after that. I only really want to pass through Turkey and be there two days tops and carry on with the rest of the journey, on return I can tour a bit.

I haven't found insurance from anyone for the Turkey part of the trip yet, will this be checked? Or where can I get some?

Will I have to apply for a tourist VISA in the port, does anyone know if this will be a problem when leaving at the Turkish/Bulgaria border? How much do they check?

I have applied for a International Driving Permit IDP1949.

I have the vehicle Docs.

My driving license.

Insurance for the euro part (Bulgaria to UK).

What do they do when giving you insurance for a motorcycle as I guess I can get it when I arrive at Tasucu.

Do I need a VISA.

Thanks for any answers.

laptarunner

Message Posted:
26/05/2010 16:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 41 of 84 in Discussion

We rode our motorbike over last year from UK to the TRNC, took 7 days, no real problems, but hard work, as every has said make sure you buy breakdown cover, and your documents are spot on, we had problem as the motorbike reg paperwork had wrong intial on it I instead of T, luckly wife's intial was I so bluffed it.

Had hassle in poor petrol in Serbia, you need to buy insurance in some countires, type 1 green cards covers but not all, 3 months insurance min, about 70 euro's.

Everyone we met was helpful, Istanbul was something else, traffic coming at you all angles, makes you forget painful bum. South of Ankara watch out for speed traps on long open roads, we got caught coming and going, speed limit bikes max 62mph. £80 which you must pay before leaving Turkey is all on computer, so don't try leaving without paying.

Ferry from Turkey to TRNC was hardwork with all paperwork, meant to leave at midnight left at 02.00, us on one ferry, bike on car ferry flowing behind.

laptarunner

Message Posted:
26/05/2010 16:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 42 of 84 in Discussion

I meant to say following behind, TRNC no problem customs would only allow 1 month visa, for bike had to go into customs HO for extra 1 month, no real problem, but a lot of running around and smiling at people. We went back from Izmir to Italy on ferry.

Gald we did, yes what experiance, would I do it again no.

Good luck

HildySmith

Message Posted:
26/05/2010 22:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 43 of 84 in Discussion

Avoid Baltic countries ie Croatia, Bulgaria, Rumania etc etc etc

We came in February and used our UK insurance which covered us in all EU countries - So used an EU route. Arranged TRNC insurance with Steve Dickinson before we came, so already insured here.

- used Channel Tunnue - Great, booked in advance, straight through using card used for booking

- On through France to Brindisi in Italy - Great ferry over to Greece (Ignomentisa) or something like that.

- Great roads through Greece to Turkey, Got insurance at the border, then 'Turkish roads' through Istanbul, Ankara down to Tasecu - and ferry to TRNC

Blackbird

Message Posted:
27/05/2010 01:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 44 of 84 in Discussion

What a brilliant posting...I have really enjoyed these stories...Many thanks

Clarissa2

Message Posted:
27/05/2010 02:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 45 of 84 in Discussion

Re : Msg 43,

New "Baltic" countries : Croatia, Bulgaria, Rumania ( Sic ) etc.etc.etc.

Were you driving to Norway?

Lucylocket

Message Posted:
27/05/2010 12:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 46 of 84 in Discussion

We had a good drive down using the Brindisi to Cesme route. But we took the RAC route planner advice which sent us to Tasucu via the coast road passing through Antalya. Very pretty but hard work up and down mountains.

We were advised afterwards (always handy!) from a man on the ferry that we should have taken the Konya road inland and then straight down.

Would love to do it again although I'm taking the foot ferry and my husband (his idea) can bring the car on the ferry as they should be condemned. They get you on the thing at 20.00 and don't leave port until about 0400 by which time I couldn't bring myself to even go through the toilet door. Then at sea people started being sick, I cannot describe how bad it was.

johnnybgoode

Message Posted:
27/05/2010 13:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 47 of 84 in Discussion

to compass, msg 20,

do you have any details of the ferry crossing co: that you used.

many thanks.

johnny b

tracy

Message Posted:
27/05/2010 13:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 48 of 84 in Discussion

We have just done it too about 2 weeks ago with a dog as well , we came through the eurotunnel (day ticket) as it is cheaper than one way. Through France, then Italy, Ferry from Brindisi which was okay to Igoumenitsa in Greece, drove through Greece then Turkey then onto Tasacu ferry to Girne, did about 5 or 6 hundred miles a day and it was fine, the ferry from Tasacu was better than we had been told, but we had to leave the dog in the car. Toilets were bad so be warned!!

Anybody got any questions about it just ask, I will try to help.

Oh and would I do it again, never!

Might be better if you took your time and made a holiday of it though.

Tracy

Smity

Message Posted:
27/05/2010 15:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 49 of 84 in Discussion

Well the wife & I were thinking of driving to TRNC this summer if the ash cloud returned and flights were cancelled

This thread has certenly made me rethink this option

Cheers for the info all

madbiker

Message Posted:
27/05/2010 20:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 50 of 84 in Discussion

The now have been told I am insured for the Euro zone and Serbia, Turkey are extra at £175 for three months.

So right now I just want to know how the arrival at Tasucu works, I guess I go back to my bike ride it off the ferry and find the customs to get a tourist VISA or do I get this before arriving; say at KYRENIA.

With this visa I presume I can exit Turkey on the Bulgaria border.

I want to leave on the 20th June, I think its a 11am sailing. Can you tell me what time I should arrive at to leave on a Sunday and what they do (like checks presumably) before leaving and/or afterwords?

snakes

Message Posted:
27/05/2010 21:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 51 of 84 in Discussion

Madbiker !!! thanks for making my post how they should be , informative, helpful and friendly it shows this forum can be used positively despite the usual downers who appear on every forum ! bah humbug ! however when I started this I was really looking forward to our drive similar to your route but having checked with import people re our car they wanted 22k duties so just flew over and envy your inevitable experiences take care !! regards Barry

Corbo

Message Posted:
28/05/2010 10:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 52 of 84 in Discussion

It's a good experience driving over and back but expensive now and we may be approaching the end of an era for this adventure. Petrol prices, red tape, ferry prices, and other matters make it fairly prohibitive. The sense of freedom driving past such diverse and beautiful scenes and places was one of the highlights. Wonderful Turkish lake district, Smart Bodrum, Sleepy Kos at Easter, Ravishing Ravenna in Italy, the Swiss Alps, the truck rolling toward me outside Thessaloníki, sleeping in the expensive cabins in the slick Greek Blue Star ferries, the sun coming up in my rear view mirror outside Athens, the smiling friendly Turkish people, Pastis in Alsace, France, driving down the road in the wrong direction in Tasucu at midnight, the music blaring out as the mountains rushed by and the thoughts of the days to come and the next adventure. It was worth it.

wearytravellers

Message Posted:
31/05/2010 07:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 53 of 84 in Discussion

We drove from Peterhead in Scotland to TRNC 3000 miles, what a journey.......fantastic, but, would not do it again. My wife holds a South African Passport, you would not believe the problems this caused.

Peterhead to Newcastle, ferry to Ijmuiden (holland) through Germany, Austria, Italy, Slovenia, Hungary, Romania,Bulgaria,Turkey. Cyprus. Worst part of the whole Journey....Ferry at Tasicu....an absolute nightmare. The authorities really need to get their act together on that score.

madbiker

Message Posted:
02/06/2010 01:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 54 of 84 in Discussion

Hi, where is the car ferry running out of Kyrenia/Girne (sos passenger ferry i've been told) to Tasucu.

A set of coordinates would be best or street/road. With some directions or a map please.

Does anyone know where to buy the tickets on the day or if there is a reliable number to call for tickets.

madbiker

Message Posted:
02/06/2010 01:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 55 of 84 in Discussion

http://www.magbaztravels.com/content/view/718/0/

Just found this, it answers a lot but I still would like help on knowing where the ticket office is and the departure port. It says that the ferry doesn't run on weekends, its this right for the 20/06/10?

nannycyprus

Message Posted:
03/06/2010 20:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 56 of 84 in Discussion

2 and a half years ago, we travelled across Europe in our little car and used the ferry from Turkey to here. I must say, I agree with so many things I have read here on this thread.

The ferry didnot leave until 3.15 am for a start!!

The toilets were SO BAD that I would not eat or drink anything all night so I did not have to use them again!!!

Yes, the seats were awful!. All upright, hardly a chance to relax or lay down. All facing towards the wall mounted TV's WHICH WERE ON AT FULL VOLUME ALL NIGHT!!!

Lights were on full....yes, you guessed it..all night!!

It was the most horrific experience I had had and to cap it all, I had this young pervert behind me acting really suggestively...only when my husband wasnt there and when I thought he had disappeared and it was safe, early in the morning... he appeared again.

Absolutely awful experience and I would never do it again!!!!!!!!

snakes

Message Posted:
03/06/2010 22:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 57 of 84 in Discussion

I am so grateful to everyone who posted their experiences on this thread and realise it was mostly an unpleasant nightmare that I will never do now especially after reading this lot ! well done to everyone who managed to endure the journey and the problems within ! I moaned the last time I came back from the UK cos a bit fell off the Jet and was delayed 8 hours but i still couldnt wait to get out of the Help yourself UK and get your handouts dot com !! regards Barry

stickle

Message Posted:
04/06/2010 01:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 58 of 84 in Discussion

Have to say this is most informative. One of the best threads. Thanks to all who have contributed.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
04/06/2010 07:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 59 of 84 in Discussion

Doing the trip to the RoC via Greece is a doddle compared to the risky nightmare of driving through 'suspect' countries to get to Turkey - then the ferry ordeal.

madbiker

Message Posted:
04/06/2010 15:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 60 of 84 in Discussion

Is there anyone who can talk me over getting to the ferry offices? Kyrenia is easy enough to get to.

Tenakoutou what service you use to get onto the Republic of Cyprus from Greece, I have been looking and I had thought it wasn't possible, details please if you have any. If its a container, it will take too long form me.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
04/06/2010 19:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 61 of 84 in Discussion

Drive to Ancona in Italy [east coast] - don't go down the autostrada to Brindisi > ferry to Igoumenitsa> drive to Patras> [small] ferry across the inlet, or you could [not worth it] drive round > drive down the west coast and cross the Corinth Canal [amazing!] > drive to Piraeus Port [you'll see the Scaramanga shipwrecking yards!] before you get to the port > ferry [loads of 'em!] to the island of Rhodes, from where you take the ferry to Limassol > drive to Metehan border crossing, zoom over and you've hit TRNC - easy as!

madbiker

Message Posted:
06/06/2010 23:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 62 of 84 in Discussion

Tenakoutou I would have to do this in reverse, do you think that will be a problem. Where do I start to find information about the Limassol to Rhodes to Piraeus. When did you do this trip in this way and how long will the Limassol to Rhodes to Piraeus take?

gavangie

Message Posted:
17/08/2010 13:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 63 of 84 in Discussion

Hi. This is our first posting although we have been readers for some time. Due to the demise of CTA, travel from Scotland to TRNC with 2 dogs is proving difficult to arrange and we are now revisiting idea of driving over. Will be moving permanently next Spring and considering ferry from Rosyth to Zeebrugge then drive to Italy and ferry to either Greece or Turkey. Lots of info here but a number of questions remain - perhaps Tracy (msg 48) can help? We are particularly interested to learn if there was any problem with the dog at the borders (particularly Turkish border) and also how long they had to wait for the vet at Girne before taking the dog home (presume they were allowed home quarantine). Also curious why they chose ferry to Greece rather than longer trip to Turkey with less driving. Incidentally, if anyone else is considering driving over next Spring and fancies joining up for companionship/security please get in touch.

tracy

Message Posted:
17/08/2010 15:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 64 of 84 in Discussion

Hi Gavin I have sent you an email

Tracy

Hilltop

Message Posted:
17/08/2010 16:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 65 of 84 in Discussion

Not intending doing the journey, but do like the idea of a convoy as suggested by Gavin.

gavangie

Message Posted:
18/08/2010 15:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 66 of 84 in Discussion

Thanks for responses. Tracy, have emailed queries.

Gavin

mint1955

Message Posted:
04/10/2010 10:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 67 of 84 in Discussion

We are just starting to plan bringing the motorbike from UK to NC next April so thanks for all the comments. Really not sure about that ferry though!!!

jardap

Message Posted:
04/10/2010 10:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 68 of 84 in Discussion

Just don't eat anything that they sell on board,take your own,and make sure you use a clean toilet before you board,trust me you wont want to use theirs.There is a cafe at the port very basic but the tea was good.

There is a lot of hanging about involved, and trying to find out the sequence of the paperwork is a nightmare,

unless they have changed it you need the police office first.In fact when the police turned up about an hour later than the time we had been told,

they had lost the key to the office and had to break the lock to get in.

But it is all worth it when in the morning you see the port getting closer,then the fun starts again.

Enjoy your trip we did

johndriving

Message Posted:
04/10/2010 16:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 69 of 84 in Discussion

I like all experiences I am also planning to visit Itly hope i will be an interesting journey

j555kes

Message Posted:
04/10/2010 17:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 70 of 84 in Discussion

Found this interesting and amusing, a couple who drove June/July this year

http://www.pamandjohn.co.uk

mint1955

Message Posted:
04/10/2010 18:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 71 of 84 in Discussion

I cant get the pam and john link to work

HarbourView

Message Posted:
22/11/2010 11:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 72 of 84 in Discussion

Hi

This looks interesting, how did you get the info about the ferry from Italy to Turkey? Lyn

HarbourView

Message Posted:
22/11/2010 13:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 73 of 84 in Discussion

Hi

This looks interesting, how did you get the info about the ferry from Italy to Turkey? Lyn

EricCrapton

Message Posted:
10/01/2011 13:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 74 of 84 in Discussion

I'm travelling overland to RoC in September and intend to take up residency there. After reading about all the problems throughout this topic I'm having second thoughts about driving through Romania and Bulgaria! Was looking forward to travelling down to Istanbul via the Black Sea coast. And was hoping to spend a week or two with my best friend who has property in Arapkoy. Also I will have on board my treasured motorbike which sounds as though it could cause me loads of grief!

The Italy> Rhodes> Limassol route now looks a better option but can someone that has done it tell me roughly how much the ferries cost as I'm not exactly rolling in it? I'm travelling in a Transit long wheelbase high top. Or is there a ferry website I can check prices?

After reading topic after topic over the last week or so, this topic is by far the most informative. Thank you one and all.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
10/01/2011 19:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 75 of 84 in Discussion

EC - Italy > Rhodes > Limassol: as against petrol and other rip-offs in TurK and problems of 2 vehicles when you hit TRNC. Hey - bring your 'load' into Limassol - you have rights as a EU citizen entering another EU country - inquire at RoC High Commission in London as to your allowance. The 'goalposts' change every week [or less!] in TRNC as regards importing motor vehicles - don'r chance it is my advice.

Others may 'pooh-pooh' me...but.....in the end it's up to you - at least in 'Eurozone' you have some rights - in TRNC you have zilch!

It really isn't advisable to travel alone on such a journey, whichever route you take - anywhere in the former Yugoslavia, or Italy, you're liable to encounter big 'brigand trouble'!

Driving from Greece one time, in an old restored TR2, we went, in the dead of night through the 'Krako Pass' to do the short-cut through Albania. They were hurling stones,rocks & boulders at us in a fortunately failed attempt to stop us - remember LIFE is cheap

EricCrapton

Message Posted:
10/01/2011 21:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 76 of 84 in Discussion

Thanks Tenakpoutou. I'm looking into it now as I've definitely developed cold feet for Romania Bulgaria route. Such a shame as I was really looking forward going down the coastline of the Black Sea :-(

Denny

Message Posted:
10/01/2011 21:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 77 of 84 in Discussion

Eric,

The choice is yours but I wouldn't rule out the Balkans as it's one of the cheapest and quickest routes and there's some great touring to be had, fantastic places in old Yugoslavia you'd never otherwise see like Sarajevo, Nis, Mostar etc, not to mention Belgrade and Zagreb. Sofia in Bulgaria is also well worth experiencing. Driving through Turkey is amazing - and you're only a man when you've gone by the "Fergun Express" ferry from Tasucu-Kyrenia.

EricCrapton

Message Posted:
11/01/2011 13:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 78 of 84 in Discussion

I know everyone has a different story to tell about the trips they made from UK to TRNC, which is quite understandable. But having read through this thread > http://www.cyprus44.com/forums/52792.asp I've got cold feet about taking the Balkan route!

I've sent emails to the TRNC Government, British Foriegn Office, the Turkish Embassy in London and also to the North Cyprus British Residents Society asking for specific information/regulations regarding my trip i.e. two vehicles etc. etc.

If and when I get answers from the above I will have to take another look at the route my journey will take. Fortunately I have plenty of time to make my final descision but I have to say the Italy, Rhodes, Limassol route does sound as though it could be costly.

slatnumber7

Message Posted:
11/01/2011 20:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 79 of 84 in Discussion

Denny, Message 77. Good post, some of the stuff above you is valid but much of it is scare mongering.

EricCrapton Message 78. The journey is about common sense and preparation.

I have made the journey 4 times and I will do it again. Europe, Serbia, Bulgaria, Turkey and ferry to Girne. The journey would not be everyone's cup of tea that I know, my tea cup has always been more than half full. Each journey has been an experience I value.

If anyone's interested I can add some details of the previous journeys,routes, stopovers, highs and lows.

laptarunner

Message Posted:
11/01/2011 20:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 80 of 84 in Discussion

As i said in message 41/42 watch out for spped traps South of Ankara. Cost me £80 each way, long straight roads, I was not aware, first time max speed for motorbike was 62mph, got careless second time.

Fine must be paid before you leave country, and you can't always pay, at port of exit, had an extra night in Turkey.

Terry

cyprusjoker

Message Posted:
11/01/2011 20:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 81 of 84 in Discussion

I have done this trip many times and been lots of different ways. The best way i found is Dover-France. Ancona (italy)-Cesme (Turkey) then go inland to Tasacu, and the better of the 2 Ferrys is Minoan. Bon Voyage..

cilinger

Message Posted:
12/01/2011 07:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 82 of 84 in Discussion

The fastest motorway all the way (non toll way Austria) to North Cyprus is this:

F Calais-Lille-BeTournai-Namur-Arlon-LuLuxembourg(fill up here!)-Mondorf/SchengenDe-Merzig-Saarbrueken-Primasen (short no autobahn section)-Pforzheim-Stutgart-Ulm-Muenchen ring-At Salzburg-Linz-Wein-HuHegyeshalom-Gyor-Budapest ring-Seged Roske[exit schengen zone]-Rs Horgos-Novi Sad-Beograd-Nis-Pirot (short non autoput section) Kalotina Bg-Sofia ring- Plovdiv-Harmali -Svilengrad-Tr Kapikule Corlu Istanbul north bridge-Izmit-Ankara-Nigde-Tarsus-Mersin (end of otoyol) -tanascu..

A vignette is needed for Austria (very strict enforcement and on the spot fines), Hungary and Bulgaria

Motorway tolls (fairly cheap) in euro are needed for Serbia.

motorway tolls in TRL for Tr

Fuel is cheapest in luxembourg and Serbia diesel

Check you insurance covers Serbia nad pay the extra charge if necesssary

Food on the road and tobacco are very cheap in Serbia.

Don't take animals into Serbia (-its outside the EU)

EricCrapton

Message Posted:
12/01/2011 12:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 83 of 84 in Discussion

Thanks for all your replies. I'm truley greatful for all the valuable information people on this thread and the thread I posted a link to in message 78 have supplied me with.

I'm still waiting for replies to the various emails I've sent and won't be making any descisions until I have all information at hand.

The present route I have in mind from Hungary will definitely not include Serbia as I had a really bad experience there some years back when in the middle of the night I stopped to fill up and the attendant refused to give me my change, which from memory didn't amount to much. Within about two or three minutes a police car with two policeman turned up and one of them jumped out and pointed a gun at me and directed me towards my car with the end of the barrel!

breezyboy

Message Posted:
12/01/2011 14:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 84 of 84 in Discussion

Does anyone have approx total costs for these routes.

I may bring my pride and joy classic over but it sounds like using the ro/ro ferry unaccompanied would save a lot of hassle, a lousy ferry, being robbed or worse!

Some of those trips quoted with feries fuel and tolls plus accomodation cannot be far off the £900 I last saw quoted for shipping UK to Famagusta.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.