North Cyprus Tourist Board - CTA baggage limit
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > CTA baggage limit

CTA baggage limit

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Flights to North Cyprus

» Book North Cyprus Flights Online

» Driving Directions from Ercan Airport to Kyrenia

» Read about Ercan Airport North Cyprus

orangekazzie

Message Posted:
02/03/2008 23:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 26 in Discussion

Heard today of a couple coming out from Manchester on a CTA flight, at weigh in they were told their baggage was overweight. It weighed 26kg. They assumed they were only 1kg over but were told that CTA have reduced their allowance to 20kg - anyone else heard of this because now they are issuing e-tickets it doesn't state baggage weight.

Karen

glencoe

Message Posted:
03/03/2008 08:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 26 in Discussion

Hi Karen,

There's going to be fun and games at check in if that's the case as I have never seen anything like it with the stuff people take on CTA, there are going to be a few arguments I think, oh well !!!

Dusterbruce

Message Posted:
03/03/2008 08:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 26 in Discussion

I came over on 23 Feb.

They told me of the 20kg limit, I was 27kg.

They said they would allow 'this time' but when I was waiting for my bag at Ercan I noticed it was about the smallest to come off the plane.

TimothyCadman

Message Posted:
03/03/2008 12:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 26 in Discussion

It looks like Servis Air, the handling crew at Manchester, are being a little bit bolshy or just plainly getting it wrong. CTA are still advertisng the fact that it is 25Kg outside Turkey, 20Kg to/from Turkey. See the webpage below. For those flying from the UK I suggest you print it out the day before you go.

http://www.kthy.net/kthyen/baggageinfo.html

briggus

Message Posted:
03/03/2008 15:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 26 in Discussion

Manchester in my experience are more fussy. Never forget when we had to pay for been a few KGs over and the flight was half empty! I then met a friend a day later from Stansted to take a a couple of his guests - and he had a Ford Focus seats down - packed to the roof - had come on a full flight and had not been charged for the excessive weight - that was much more than mine!.

Hasten to add I travel from Stansted more often now - even though Manchester is much nearer

briggus

Message Posted:
03/03/2008 15:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 26 in Discussion

The flight officially will be to Turkey. The flight onwards to N Cyprus as an internal Turkish flight.

Exactly what is N Cyprus categorised as - Turkey or Europe? Do you have two limits?

TimothyCadman

Message Posted:
03/03/2008 16:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 26 in Discussion

briggus,

The TRNC is classed as Europe for the sake of baggage.

briggus

Message Posted:
03/03/2008 16:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 26 in Discussion

Cheers TC!

orangekazzie

Message Posted:
03/03/2008 18:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 26 in Discussion

OK thanks to everyone who replied.

Karen

Dusterbruce

Message Posted:
03/03/2008 20:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 26 in Discussion

I heard a snippet on Radio2 today that baggage handlers are now limited by Health and Safety regulations to handling a maximum weight of 23kg.

Maybe something to do with this?

glencoe

Message Posted:
04/03/2008 01:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 26 in Discussion

May be wrong but think you will find as far as the British baggage handlers are concerned the flight is to Turkey, as TRNC is not officially recognised internationally as part of Europe

ukturk

Message Posted:
04/03/2008 11:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 26 in Discussion

hi guys

as far as i know cta have not changed their baggage allowance, i had friends come out from stansted last week and their allowance was 25kg but one was 30kg and the other was 28kg and they did not get charged, got the mother in law coming out next week and her allowance is 25kg, as long as you dont go over 32kg you are ok and its not cta who refuses to take it is Servis Air its a health and saftey issue that their baggage handlers can only lift a max of 32kg, actually british baggage handlers do know if the person is flying to turkey or cyprus because the suitcase tag barcode is diffrent so they know and put the peoples suitcases who is getting of in turkey in last so the turkish baggage handlers have not got the greif of searching for people suitcases

as long as cta remain a scheduled airline they would not dare change their allowance for the pure fact that cypriots use this airline when going to visit family in the u.k and vica versa and they haul everything apart from the kitchen sink so if they did there would be riots at the airports!!!! LOL

i must say thou i know people who travel to and from stansted including me and never get charged for excess baggage and people who travel from manchester seem to get charged i dont know why this is maybe because their are more tc's living in london!!!! LOL

regards

ukturk

tipperary

Message Posted:
04/03/2008 13:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 26 in Discussion

The last time I flied CTA they reduced my baggage allright by losing it. 6 people on the flight had lost their luggage.

I obtained a PIR reprt at Ercan and contacted CTA over a 10 month period at their offices in Ercan, Nicosia, Istanbul, and Stanstead to obtain a mandatory compensation but received not one reply to my mail.

Lionel

orangekazzie

Message Posted:
04/03/2008 14:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 26 in Discussion

Hi Lionel

That is terrible. Did you have any insurance which you could claim from?

Karen

tipperary

Message Posted:
06/03/2008 10:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 26 in Discussion

Hi Karen,

Yes I did have insurance but they required receipts for all items lost which of course I did not have save one for a shirt for £35 so that is all I recovered.

Regards

Lionel

breezyboy

Message Posted:
06/03/2008 11:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 26 in Discussion

Hi Lionel

spill the beans on the ridiculous insurance company you used. They deserve to be named so nobody else uses them!

Breezyboy

jock1

Message Posted:
06/03/2008 11:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 26 in Discussion

I concur with breezyboy, the insurance company's are all the same quick to take your money, very slow to compansate you when required.

name and shame them tipperay.

rtddci

Message Posted:
06/03/2008 12:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 26 in Discussion

I was charged £120 excess baggage at Gatwick last July (which I had expected but didn't expect to also have hand baggage weighed and charged for bag being over 5kgs ) for a box with items to the value approx £350. When we got to Ercan via Dalaman, our cases turned up but not our box. The box was very clearly marked by me with date, flight no etc. I filed a report with CTA but despite checking with Ercan, Dalaman & Gatwick on numerous occasions it didn't turn up. To cut a long story short I wrote to CTA in NC & London. My letters were ignored. I threatened legal action, the letter was ignored. I got legal advice through my travel insurance. I wrote to the Air Transport Users Council who wrote to CTA. CTA offered a small amount which didn't even cover what I'd been charged for the excess baggage. I threatened legal action again, CTA upped their offer after consulting their lawyers. I rejected that offer. All I wanted was to be reimbursed for what i had lost. I have just received a cheque for the full amount. Just hope it clears. Moral is, it is worth persevering.

Martin

rtddci

Message Posted:
06/03/2008 19:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 26 in Discussion

Oh one point worth mentioning is the importance of keeping receipts for whats in your baggage, and write a list of whats in it before you fly if you can, in case it goes missing.

Martin

tipperary

Message Posted:
07/03/2008 10:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 26 in Discussion

Hi Martin, good to hear someone is so organized as I certainly am not in the habit of keeping receipts for all my purchases but will try in future. Glad you had a successful outcome with CTA but as in my case it's outrageous that you should have to go to those lengths and fair play to you. It seems this attitude is endemic in the TRNC as I also ran up against a stone wall of silence from my builder and solicitor. My permission to buy was granted in 2005 but shortly after my wife died and my solicitor said he would have to apply again in my sole name and I have still not heard from him and I presume it is because I refused to sign a contract that stated that I only purchased the land and built the house myself thereby saving tax for the builder. My travel insurance was purchased on the e-bookers web site.

Regards to all

Lionel

flossie

Message Posted:
07/03/2008 14:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 26 in Discussion

I have just checked with my travel agent and they have confirmed the baggage allowance is 25 kilos,

I am flying from Manchester at the end of March and intend to print off the allowances from the CTA website in case of any dispute.

flossie

jakki

Message Posted:
07/03/2008 14:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 26 in Discussion

If it's any use I used to work for KLM based at London City Airport where baggage was very strict and limited because of the short runway. Most check-in staff can use their discretion but remember more weight that goes on the aircraft means the Captain (whose decision is final) has to put on more fuel, more fuel means more money. On the question of insurance - if your baggage goes missing, it's the airline's fault!!

jakki

Message Posted:
07/03/2008 14:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 26 in Discussion

always remember to keep the little sticky receipts (usually check-in staff put them on the back of passports or boarding passes) these are your baggage receipts with bag numbers on them, you will need these if your bags go missing, the numbers can be checked though their systems, hopefully the airline will tell you where you bags are.

ukturk

Message Posted:
07/03/2008 15:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 26 in Discussion

hey presto two become one and its like it never happened

regards

ukturk

carol

Message Posted:
18/04/2008 15:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 26 in Discussion

Yes I have been told by stansted BAA that it is 20kg. The hotel we go to ensure me that it is 25kg and he has just flown over there. If they are going to give us e-tickets then they should make sure the luggage allowance is on it,.. Carol

lovingcyprus

Message Posted:
18/04/2008 19:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 26 in Discussion

If you are making an insurance claim whether it is travel, car, buildings or house insurance never accept the first offer they make you unless of course you are happy with it. If they send you a cheque do not bank it send it back to them tell them their offer is not acceptable and of course why you think it is.

Until you are happy with their keep refusing it eventually. In tipperary's case they were just trying it on. No sane person could expect you to keep reciepts for all your items of luggage, what about the shirt you bought in a market, how many times do you get a receipt in a market

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.