North Cyprus Tourist Board - Turkish Airlines -Manchester to Ercan
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Turkish Airlines -Manchester to Ercan

Turkish Airlines -Manchester to Ercan

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Flights to North Cyprus

» Book North Cyprus Flights Online

» Driving Directions from Ercan Airport to Kyrenia

» Read about Ercan Airport North Cyprus

Mountain Edge

Message Posted:
07/07/2009 14:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 17 in Discussion

I am thinking about flying Manchester to Ercan (via Istanbul) in October with Turkish Airlines. Never done this route before, or Turkish Airlines to be honest.

Has anyone out there done this route with Turkish Airlines and how would you rate the service?

mikelapta

Message Posted:
07/07/2009 14:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 17 in Discussion

My main route last year.Biggest problem with Turkish Airlines is having to get off aircraft,wait an hour,then get back usually on the same aircraft.

briggus

Message Posted:
07/07/2009 14:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 17 in Discussion

We did it twice some time ago and had no problems. Luggage always turned up in Ercan/Manchester

Yes you have to wait in the airport to transfer get back on the plane but iif it is only an hour better than sitting around on the plane for an hour. You can get refreshments or browse shops. The only thing that stopped booking with them was their prices that always appear to be more than CTA from Manchester.

Mountain Edge

Message Posted:
07/07/2009 14:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 17 in Discussion

I can live with that. I was more worried about changing planes, as 2 different flight numbers are given, and finding my luggage has gone astray.

flightholiday

Message Posted:
07/07/2009 14:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 17 in Discussion

We use them from Birmingham (being based in the Forest of Dean) and that route has gone from strength to strength over the last few months. - it is a pleasure to sell Turkish Airlines flights as from experience the service to Istanbul is good maybe even world class you even get your food in a ceramic dish and to see a "new" film! The consolidator we use is also professional and quick which is nice.

I think the Manchester connections onto Ercan are a little better than the one for BHX which is good if you live closer to MAN.

Down-side IST being their hub if you have an operational delay it is virtualy bound to be there.

tom

IAH Ltd

flightholiday

Message Posted:
07/07/2009 14:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 17 in Discussion

Msg 4 - no problems to date with the luggage.

But if you are stopping over in Istanbul for a day or so make sure they don't mark your luggage to go onto Ercan. (It could easily happen.)

T

Dusterbruce

Message Posted:
07/07/2009 14:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 17 in Discussion

I have gone through Istanbul with Turkish the last few times I have come over. No problems at all, and usually found that by the time you have disembarked and found the gate for the connection to Ercan the hour has flown by! You get your boarding card for the connecting flight when you check in at Manchester, same at Ercan on the return.

Never (touch wood) had problems with luggage.

Prices are quite a bit cheaper than CTA at the moment at around £260 return. Free drinks and food on the flight, and entertainment.

Only hassle I find is the very thorough security check before boarding the plane at Istanbul, but better safe than sorry.

Mountain Edge

Message Posted:
07/07/2009 14:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 17 in Discussion

Just a thought, do you have to pay the £10 visa fee at Istanbul that is normal for visiting Turkey? I have no intention of leaving the airport but I do have to get from one gate to another.

mikelapta

Message Posted:
07/07/2009 15:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 17 in Discussion

No just follow the in Transit signs.

Mike

flightholiday

Message Posted:
07/07/2009 15:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 17 in Discussion

If you are a transit passenger and do not exit customs etc you should not need a visa in Istanbul Ataturk.

The rule differs in many aiports world-wide so if you are in transit in other aiprorts you might find you need a visa.

daffodils

Message Posted:
07/07/2009 16:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 17 in Discussion

I am flying solo from Ercan to Manchester on 25th August and then back again on 5th September. Only did it once before and we had a mad panic we were not sure where to go. Do you have to go through customs again at Istanbul? I am dreading not having enough time, I only have 1 hour.

Dusterbruce

Message Posted:
07/07/2009 16:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 17 in Discussion

daffodils

Just follow the transit signs until you get into the area where the shops are and you will see screens that tell you which gate you need. Gate numbers are adequately signed.

judgejolly

Message Posted:
07/07/2009 22:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 17 in Discussion

We flew Turkish Airlines ( from Manchester ) to Ercan in April. Very good flight , the food was quite nice, and the staff were very good. On approach to Istanbul we were informed of gate numbers for our connecting flight to Ercan. Yes you do have to go through a security check, but its with minimal disruption toward your departure gate. On touchdown at Ercan, passengers were on their feet and making their way to the exit door well before the plane had stopped. On exiting the aircraft , passengers were hurrying to the terminal building to passport control. Only 2 booths open and large queues forming. Now I know why there was a rush to get off the plane!!. Best part of an hour to get through and pick up our luggage . Would travel with Turkish Airlines again though.

TimothyCadman

Message Posted:
08/07/2009 00:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 17 in Discussion

Everyone probably thinks why the hell do they say please don't undo your seat belts until the plane comes to a complete halt. It is quite simple. If the plane needs to do an emergencey stop before getting to the terminal those who are standing will be thrown about like rag dolls. Even when taxing planes can do upto 40 mph. Now we all know what happens if you're in a car that's doing that speed and your not wearing a seatbelt. The effects are the same on a plane. It is the same reason that you wear them for take off. If the plane has to stop from over 120mph very quickly you will injured, just as you would if you weren't wearing one going through turbulance. Having been through turbulance and seen a maverick passenger laugh at it and then end up with a smashed skull as his whole body hit the roof of the plane, it is not a pretty sight.

So although others may wish to play Russian Roulette with their lives, please always wait till the plane has stopped before removing your seatbelt.

caulkhead

Message Posted:
08/07/2009 09:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 17 in Discussion

I alway fly Turkish if I can and it is no more expensive if you take into account the Star Alliance miles you get. If you are flying from Heathrow, the London/Istanbul leg has very comfortable 777 planes.

Mountain Edge

Message Posted:
08/07/2009 12:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 17 in Discussion

Thanks for the feedback, guys, much appreciated.

flightholiday

Message Posted:
08/07/2009 12:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 17 in Discussion

Timothy, Msg 14 - Best advice I've seen for quite a while (I had not realised the 40MPH bit). It's not just your health and life you might have a problem with - the aircraft might need to go back or medics need to be called. So maybe worse than injury that would mean you would arrive late!

There is also the fact that the goods in the overhead lockers can often be sharp as well as weigh as much as 10Kg. Thats a hefty lump, enough to break somones neck so don't open the lockers to get down your raincoat as you don't know what else might be there or have moved in flight.

Sorry - though they may seem petty safety anouncements are important to everyone on the plane.

Tom

PS I like Turkish also Pegasus. CTA do still have the best selection and are dedicated to getting you there.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.