North Cyprus Tourist Board - Free flight - would you stand?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Free flight - would you stand?

Free flight - would you stand?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Flights to North Cyprus

» Book North Cyprus Flights Online

» Driving Directions from Ercan Airport to Kyrenia

» Read about Ercan Airport North Cyprus

LondonCypriot

Message Posted:
16/07/2009 19:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 9 in Discussion

Would you stand?

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/news.php?yr=09&month=jul&story=gen-en-090709

RickF64

Message Posted:
16/07/2009 19:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 9 in Discussion

No! The forces imposed during normal take-off, landing and flight manouveres are bad enough for fit and healthy people. Anyone who has experienced in flight turbulence or a rough touch down will baulk at the idea of 'strap hanging' during a flight. Surely the medical criteria would be a nightmare to safely facilitate stand 'pax' or 'self loading freight' as they are referred to in the trade.

I suspect the CAA will have some strong views against this idea.

spider

Message Posted:
16/07/2009 19:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 9 in Discussion

Hi LondonCypriot we had this same Thread last week.think you can look it up somehow.??

Spider,X

cooper

Message Posted:
16/07/2009 19:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 9 in Discussion

I wouldn't stand for that LondonCypriot !!

dalartokat

Message Posted:
16/07/2009 20:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 9 in Discussion

This was sent as a newsletter to my son

"Spring Airlines, a privately-owned Chinese low-cost carrier is planning to introduce new "standing-seats" on its Airbus A320s so it can add up to 40% more passengers on board. Zhang Wuan, an official at the Shanghai-based airline, who works closely with the CEO said the airline had been in talks with Airbus to see if concerns about safety could be addressed. The standing seats will reportedly look like a bar stool and have a safety strap. The news immediately caught the attention of its European counterpart Ryanair, who is hoping to replicate the concept and is awaiting the go-ahead from the Irish Aviation Authority. Ryanair estimates the transformation would boost passenger capacity by 50% and cut costs by 20%"

I thought it was a joke, but however no I would not stand.

TimothyCadman

Message Posted:
16/07/2009 20:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 9 in Discussion

Yes I would for short haul into Europe, or flights upto 2 hours. But my only reason for doing so is that I have a substantial discount against those who opted to be seated. I wouldn't be happy to pay for standing if the seats were the same, or cheaper, than standing.

IngridL

Message Posted:
16/07/2009 20:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 9 in Discussion

I would stand for short flights. Two planes instead of three for the same number of passengers would mean less impact on the environment.

waddo

Message Posted:
16/07/2009 20:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 9 in Discussion

Why not? Last time I paid for my seat on the railways in the UK I was able to stand all the way from Gatwick to Bristol without a complaint. Cost of the first class seat was £184.00 one way but it was all full so it was stand or wait till the next train - 6 hours later - Oh yes, the next train would have cost me more as well because my seat had been paid for at a special rate during non peak time!!! Peak time must be a real joy.

Stand for short haul but nothing over two hours and see no problem with the saftey aspects, you can get killed on the trains or in a bus a lot easier than in an aircraft! Frankly, I think that if a bus crashes and you are stood up you stand more chance of survival than if you are seated and surrounded by air bags and saftey straps when you fall out of the sky from 33,000 ft in a ball of fire - what help is a seat then?

Must be getting old, or is it the gin?????

Coachie

Message Posted:
16/07/2009 23:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 9 in Discussion

the injuries you receive in a bus crash at 50mph when you are standing up be quite minor compared to the injuries you would receive standing up on an aircraft that crashes at 180mph on landing.Do not think that CAA would allow it for one moment..They will be expecting you to sit out side on the wings next to save on airconditioning costs.....Oh,,how about 3 deep in the toilets...

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.