North Cyprus Tourist Board - uk driving license renewal
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > uk driving license renewal

uk driving license renewal

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Driving Directions from Ercan Airport to Kyrenia

» Driving Directions from Larnaca Airport to Kyrenia

» North Cyprus Map

rowlo

Message Posted:
21/07/2009 16:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 13 in Discussion

neighbour of mine wonders if he can renew his uk license here in trnc ,he has a turkish license ,and went over the border today and was told he cant drive in the south on his turkish license once his uk one expires in feb

Brinsley

Message Posted:
21/07/2009 16:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 13 in Discussion

I think it can be renewed over the net using a UK address.

Richard

waddo

Message Posted:
21/07/2009 17:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 13 in Discussion

Question: So what if I came here and learnt to drive here. I would have a Turkish license and not a UK one. Would I still not be allowed to drive in the South because I hold an EU passport? I am allowed to drive in the UK and many other EU countrys on my Turkish license for up to one year. Why is the South making this distinction between "Turks of Cyprus" people and EU citizens over a driving license?

keithcaley

Message Posted:
21/07/2009 17:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 13 in Discussion

Let's be clear about this - you ARE all talking about TRNC driving licences aren't you, not TURKISH ones?

Anyway, to the best of my knowledge, the authorities in the ROC will allow TC's to drive there using a TRNC driving licence, but not TURKS, and not other EU citizens (because, don't forget, TC's are EU citizens, although the territory that they live in is not under the EU's direct control).

Much the same as they don't object quite so much to TC's living on 'former' GC land, but strongly object to other EU citizens and TURKS doing so.

If you want to know why, you'd better ask 'em!

Keith.

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
21/07/2009 17:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 13 in Discussion

So how do the Turkish Cypriots drive over to south?Surely they cant all have eu/uk driving licences

keithcaley

Message Posted:
21/07/2009 17:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 13 in Discussion

Yorgozlu,

My 2nd sentence reads: -

Anyway, to the best of my knowledge, the authorities in the ROC will allow TC's to drive there using a TRNC driving licence, but not ...

Keith.

kavenkoy

Message Posted:
21/07/2009 19:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 13 in Discussion

you wont get a renewal unless you have a uk address.

anybody living outside uk permenantly has to drive on the licence of that country .

my father in law lives in spain and had to change to our uk address some time ago,also now he is 70 he has had to do it again only a few weeks ago .

kav

newscoop

Message Posted:
21/07/2009 20:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 13 in Discussion

SIMPLE FOLKS IT'S CALLED DISCRIMINATION.

EU CITIZENS CAN DRIVE IN THE SOUTH EXCEPT THOSE EU CITIZENS WHO AREN'T TC'S

mrjim

Message Posted:
21/07/2009 21:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 13 in Discussion

if you have a uk address when renewing your driving licence it is fine.Also if you have the new type of passport you can put the passport number on the driving form and you won't have to send any pictures they will scan it of the passport copy.

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
21/07/2009 21:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 13 in Discussion

keithcaley

I wasnt critisizing your comments,sorry

I meant that "its wrong"

keithcaley

Message Posted:
22/07/2009 07:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 13 in Discussion

That's ok yorgozlu,

I thought that you might have mis-read my post...

Although I said that you'd "have to ask THEM" why they have this policy, my own opinion -

(and I would emphasise that it IS just my own opinion - I'm not trying to foist it off on anyone else!) -

is that they realise that the TC's have, on the whole, no other option but to live here, just a their own displace citizens (GC's) have no other option but to live in the South, so although they don't officially recognise the Regime, they make practical concessions as regards everyday matters, like driving licences and living in (former) GC-owned property.

It's the foreigners that they seem to object to, and whom they seem to regard as 'taking advantage of the situation' - so although they have to allow EU citizens free passage, they're as awkward as they can be over everything else!

A very mixed up situation, and I cannot frankly see a comprehensive solution happening any time soon, given the attitude of the GC's

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
22/07/2009 10:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 13 in Discussion

keithcaley

Looking at situation from foreighner's view,I think there is a problem on both sides

Why should one that holds driving licence that is recognised everywhere in the world be made to get local licence in the first place?

I am fully aware of your points and with you %100

there is an old turkish saying"they cant hit the donkey(in case it kicks back)so they hit the saddle when its not on instead.Meaning,"they cant do anything to turkish cypriots with local driving licence anything because most are also RoC citizens,so they try to get to us by making your life harder

"Why should one made to suffer when one is not guilty in th first place" comes to mind.

Basicaly,it is one big political c**p that individuals are made to suffer for(ie.yourselves)

As for "comprehensive solution",,in Cyprus

However one might look at it,the fact is ,is that "there has been "peace"on the island since 1974,and long it may stay like that

You will also find that,the tcs that voted "yes"

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
22/07/2009 10:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 13 in Discussion

cont.

to annan plan in 2004,have now reversed the tables

apologies for going off topic

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.