North Cyprus Tourist Board - Mobile phone
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Mobile phone

Mobile phone

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

zink1505

Message Posted:
08/04/2008 10:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 14 in Discussion

I will be arriving from the UK this week and last time I came to North Cyprus my UK "T" mobile phone did not work. It works fine in South Cyprus. It is currently locked to "T" mobile because I am still in contract. I would like to purchase a new mbl in North Cyprus to use while I am here. Can anyone tell me if I can buy a "pay" as you go mbl phone (buy credit) and how much this should cost ? Also are they easy to "top up" and how/ where do you do this ? Do you get charged for incoming international calls. I will be staying in and around Kyrinea so would prefer to purchase around this area.

Please help.

Thanks !!!

Kantara

Message Posted:
08/04/2008 10:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 14 in Discussion

Hello Zink,

on page 3 you will find some answers..

Regards

Kantara

rocky

Message Posted:
08/04/2008 10:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 14 in Discussion

Page 3 of what which where forum?? I was in NC Jan 07 and my orange mobile was hopeless whilst others were usng their phones my mobile would only let me link with a very poor network. I am off to NC tomorrow wed 9th so I will call in the orange shop today to see if the network I could not use is available to us? Sorry but I can t remember which was the useless network , one was turkcell.

If orange aint no good in NC which of the other providers is???

Kantara

Message Posted:
08/04/2008 10:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 14 in Discussion

Page 3 of the Cyprus44-Forum..

Or am I in another forum at the moment...????

Kind regards

Monika

simbas

Message Posted:
08/04/2008 10:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 14 in Discussion

hi zinc1505 , can you not buy a simcard when you are over there , just to use there , i know ukturk went into great detail on this subject , look under topics, if i find it i will bring it forward

regards , simbas

simbas

Message Posted:
08/04/2008 10:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 14 in Discussion

zinc ,brought it forward see message 4 under mobile phone costs in cyprus

have a good day , simbas

brian24001

Message Posted:
08/04/2008 10:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 14 in Discussion

It will be much cheaper if you just get a local SIM.

Better to bring a spare mobile from UK (unlocked) as they are much cheaper there, plenty available on Ebay, though you can get mobiles unlocked here for about 20ytl.

To get local SIM, go to any of the many shop, take passport.

I would suggest Turkcell, better coverage.

Top up card available in supermarkets, though a lot now, just tell them your number, they key it into the till and the credit will arrive before you have finished paying.

If here long term, deff get a contract phone (you can keep same number) as there is no line rental, and calls are around 30% cheaper.

Bill is sent to you by txt, pay at any bank.

If you not in country, anyone can pay your bill for you when they pay their own just tell the person in bank the phone number and they can acll up the bill.

Simple s that.

If you calling family in UK though, credit dissapears quickly, if you need the solution to this, I can post that.

Cheers

Brian

rocky

Message Posted:
08/04/2008 10:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 14 in Discussion

which page is this then I though the forum was indexed by topics

Kantara

Message Posted:
08/04/2008 10:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 14 in Discussion

If you open the Forum Page you can jump to the different pages ( further down).

Kantara

zink1505

Message Posted:
08/04/2008 11:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 14 in Discussion

I see nothing re mobile phones on page 3 ...................Help ???

Kantara

Message Posted:
08/04/2008 11:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 14 in Discussion

Now it went to Page 1:

http://www.cyprus44.com/forums/1975.asp

ukturk

Message Posted:
08/04/2008 12:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 14 in Discussion

hi guys

zinc you can defo use your t-mobile phone in north cyprus either it be roaming but can be very expensive (you pay for incoming calls aswell as a high rate to phone out), what you do before you come out go down to your local inedendant phone shop (not your carphone warehouse or phones4u) and get the phone unlocked to any network this will only cost you max £15 depending on what phone you have and it does not matter if you are still on contract

then as soon as you come over pop into any phone shop or lemar supermarket with your passport fill in the forms and buy a turkcell sim card for 20ytl this comes with 100credits and within 24 hours your sim will be operational then when you want to top up again you can go into any phone shop - supermarket - sweetshop and buy credits from 5ytl, if you are intending to cross over to the south your turkish sim card wont so just pop in your english sim card and it will work but remember you will be roaming so more expensive!!!!, if you intending to keep in contact with the u.k the best way is to tex people with mobiles it only takes 2 credits and if they phone you it wont take any credits of you

i hope this helps

regards

ukturk

zink1505

Message Posted:
08/04/2008 12:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 14 in Discussion

UK Turk. Thank you, you are brillinat at all the advice you give !!!!

Thank you

ert_in_cyprus

Message Posted:
10/04/2008 15:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 14 in Discussion

I am with turkcell, and got rather large bills as I had to make regurlar calls to the UK.

A friend put me onto a internet voip service called VoipStunt. It's pretty much the same as Skype but they offer free calls from your pc to certain destinations across the world, UK landlines being one of them.

Just registered and topped up around £10, this credit can be used for charged destinations but as part of the deal you get 300 minutes per week to use for free destinations, this lasts for 120 days from the top-up date. Once you run out of free days, just top-up to get more free days, they dont say but I assume you will get 120 more days.

One further thing though, We used to get a lot of calls dropping when we used to live in Catalkoy, This occured with Skype as well as VoipStunt. I mention this because it pretty much makes Voip systems useless if you haven't got a decent connection, We have a a 750k wireless connection that is fairly close to a base station.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.