North Cyprus Tourist Board - CHESS PLAYERS -Tatlisu/Bacheli/Esentepe
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > CHESS PLAYERS -Tatlisu/Bacheli/Esentepe

CHESS PLAYERS -Tatlisu/Bacheli/Esentepe

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Esentepe Village in North Cyprus

» Korineum Golf Course, Esentepe, North Cyprus

Lazy days

Message Posted:
16/09/2009 21:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

Hello Peeps

Hubby wants to know would anybody be interested in playing chess one night a week in these areas, p'r haps we could even have a challenge with DC and his cronies occasionally

All replies here please then we can maybe take it further

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
16/09/2009 21:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

Good luck! And look what I found in Famagusta last week:

http://www.allcrusades.com/BB_pics/S5001145_cut_72.jpg

Maybe there is a club in Nicosia and Güzelyurt also - an island wide competition (eventually...) would be nice!

Btw: cheap chess sets are for sale in the Chinese bazar in Nicosia (22 TL).

Any tips about cheaper sets are welcome!

Back on topic: CHESS PLAYERS -Tatlisu/Bacheli/Esentepe

Brinsley

Message Posted:
16/09/2009 21:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

Why does Hans get all the credit for having started a new Chess Club? I started the Girne Chess & Scrabble Club, meeting every Saturday afternoon at the Watermill Hotel (centre of Girne), 3 years ago! It's free with boards and CLOCKS provided with beginners books both in English and Turkish. Hans resigned because it wasn't competitive enough, but probably because he kept loosing!

Richard

Lazy days

Message Posted:
16/09/2009 21:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

Hello Peeps,

AW Richard, can I get a suck of your dummy lol we were playing seven years ago but the players were so bad that DC had to go and start a new club, pity the old Lusignan cafe is no longer eh Hans ;) or hubby and you could play there and meet for a nice potato kofte made by Cems Mum, ah !! those were the days

lol

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
17/09/2009 09:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

RE msg 4: Lazy days (...) we were playing seven years ago but the players were so bad that DC had to go and start a new club, (...)

=> Thank you, *I* didn't want to say it, Lazy days...

(...) pity the old Lusignan cafe is no longer eh Hans ;) (...)

=> You're so right!

(...) or hubby and you could play there and meet for a nice potato kofte made by Cems Mum, ah !! those were the days (...)

=> Sigh..!

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
17/09/2009 09:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

RE msg 3, Brinsley: (...) Why does Hans get all the credit for having started a new Chess Club? I started the Girne Chess & Scrabble Club, meeting every Saturday afternoon at the Watermill Hotel (centre of Girne), 3 years ago! It's free with boards and CLOCKS provided with beginners books both in English and Turkish. (...)

=> Indeed, Richard, credit where credit is due. And to complete the story about the Girne Chess Club (for future research...): Richard paid for the chess sets, clocks and books himself. No joke - well done, Richard!

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
17/09/2009 09:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

RE msg 1: "CHESS PLAYERS -Tatlisu/Bacheli/Esentepe". Not many reactions yet! Come on!

Brinsley

Message Posted:
17/09/2009 10:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

Thanks Hans. CTA also needs congratulating. Three years ago, returning from the UK with chess clocks, boards, books, computers and other chess related paraphernalia I was seriously over weight. I wrote to CTA explaining what I was intending to do and they waived all weight restrictions. For the first 6 months we had quite a few pupils from the SOS school but unfortunately they matriculated and moved away! School students are welcome as I'm sure they will be at Hans' club.

Richard

Aussie

Message Posted:
17/09/2009 10:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

Whilst I prefer Backgammon these days I could play the odd game of Chess again (used to play as a kid) in Esenepe if you like. There are a number of coffee shops in Esentepe you could pay at using your own board or just bringing pieces and using their boards,

If you know anyone in Turtle bay they have an outdoor giant chess board set up for novelty value as well.

I also think you can get cheap Chess sets at the 1001 shop in Girne and nearly all backgammnon boards have a chess board on the reverse so you could just buy the pieces (nearly all self respecting Cypriot coffee shops have Tavla (backgammon sets).

Aussie

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
17/09/2009 10:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

Lazy days, maybe more people are interested if - in your area - chess lessons are offered also?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.