North Cyprus Tourist Board - Car rental in the South / insurance in the North
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Car rental in the South / insurance in the North

Car rental in the South / insurance in the North

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Car Hire in North Cyprus

» See North Cyprus Insurance Related Threads posted so far

» Read Information about North Cyprus Property Insurance

Kantara

Message Posted:
24/09/2009 15:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 17 in Discussion

A friend of mine took a car from Larnaca Airport, crossed the border, paid the local insurance and went to their home here.

Then they had a problem with the car on the next day, had to go back to the South, changed the car and wanted to change as well the insurance to the new number plate - no chance. They were told to pay the same amount again for a new insurance.

I think this is correct - they think it would be enough to cross out the old number and put the new number in.

Did anybody had the same problem before?

Thanks in advance

BILLY

Message Posted:
11/10/2009 14:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 17 in Discussion

i CONTACTED THE INSURANCE OFFICE WHO SOLD THE INSURANCE AT THE BORDER AND THEY CHANGED THE REG NO . SO DID NOT HAVE TO PAY TWICE.

lovingcyprus

Message Posted:
11/10/2009 21:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 17 in Discussion

If you hire a car in the south and take it to the North the insurance you get is only 3rd. party.

Also if you have problems, a breakdown or worse a crash it is your responsibilty to get the car back to the south.

Would you drive a hire car in the UK only 3rd party insurance????

The standard of driving in the TRNC is really bad.

A simple breakdown would not really be a problem, having an accident would be.

For me gambling on saving not a lot is not a risk worth taking particulary as most of the hire cars are fairly new, worst case scenario is an accident is your fault and the car is a write off that would cost you say £8,000 to replace.

Also with the Euro at a high it really isn't cheaper to hire in the south (I guess someone will challenge me on this statement)

newlad

Message Posted:
11/10/2009 21:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 17 in Discussion

You can obtain Fully comp insurance at the border,

Paul.

lovingcyprus

Message Posted:
11/10/2009 22:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 17 in Discussion

Newlad you cannot get fully comp you will be told what you want to hear take a look at the policy document and put the policy wording on here.

chezzi

Message Posted:
11/10/2009 23:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 17 in Discussion

I paid 70 EUR at the border for fully comp, the form stated it very clearly.

C

lovingcyprus

Message Posted:
13/10/2009 21:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 17 in Discussion

chezzi

Prove it, post the insurance certifcate on this board,then if what you are saying is correct I ill apologise

newlad

Message Posted:
13/10/2009 22:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 17 in Discussion

70 Eur is what i paid as well,

Paul.

chezzi

Message Posted:
14/10/2009 00:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 17 in Discussion

Lovingcyprus:

I can assure you what I am saying is true, why on earth would I lie?? but I am not in the habbit of keeping old documents, this was in May this year and I'm afraid the ole handbag has been cleared a few times since then.

But I definately paid for FUlly Comp and it stated it clearley on the form, I DID check!!

C

lovingcyprus

Message Posted:
15/10/2009 21:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 17 in Discussion

chezzi

You say you definately paid for Fully Comprenhensive Insurance, I still don't believe that is what you actually got.

Ask the company for a specimen policy, they should provide this quite freely, then we can see what you actually got. (If you don't want to do that please post the company name and their contact details and I will contact them as a prospective client)

As I have said previously I will apologise to you if I am not correct.

lucienne

Message Posted:
16/10/2009 00:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 17 in Discussion

I too paid 70 lira for fully comp insurance. Clearly marked. Only available at Metahan, not Pyla

chezzi

Message Posted:
16/10/2009 00:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 17 in Discussion

Lovingcyprus,

I purchased my insurance at Metahan border as always, came to the North for 2 weeks in May, returned to UK where I live. I would like to ask you, where am I supposed to "Ask the company for a specimen policy, they should provide this quite freely"??

I could not even tell you who the company was they use for Insurance! WOuld you like me to pop over to Cyprus and go and ask them??

I arrived at the border asked for the normal insurance and was "offered" fully comp, I queried it, because I to didnt believe it was available, and I was assured it was, paid my money, got my certificate and left.

I really dont know why you seem to think I am lying, for what gain?? I am beginning to find your attitude towards me quite offensive!!

C

lovingcyprus

Message Posted:
16/10/2009 21:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 17 in Discussion

chezzi

If one wishes to do business with an insurance company they will willingly provide anyone with a specimen policy.

Until someone provides the actual policy wording I am saying that what you purchased was not Fully Comprehensive Insurance. It certainly was not Fully comprehensive as we know it in the Uk.

Should you hire a car again in the South of Cyprus and take it to the TRNC please ask for the policy wording before you purchase. Then you can be absolutely sure you have purchased is what you want.

Please take a look at the following:-

http://www.cyprus44.com/forums/301.asp

I really don't know why you think my attitude towards you is quite offensive, I have not been rude or threatened you.

As I have said twice previously I will apologise to you if I am not correct

Corbo

Message Posted:
16/10/2009 21:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 17 in Discussion

Well I'm getting 3rd party for the 5 months out in the North this winter..will just have to take care I guess.

Geoff

Message Posted:
17/10/2009 16:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 17 in Discussion

It might say fully comp on it, but it will be 3rd Party only. If you want Fully Comp you'll need to buy it from an Insurance Broker in town. I've bought 3rd Party Insurance at the border 4 times this year, 2 of the docs said fully ncomp, 2 said 3rd party, all 4 were in fact 3rd party. I believe that in thev reverst direction (crossing over to ROC from KKTC) you CAN buy either at the border.

Corbo

Message Posted:
27/10/2009 21:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 17 in Discussion

Getting slaughtered on the car insurance on this journey of mine..cancelling my comp UK car insurance would cost so much that I will keep it going even though it does not cover Nth Cyprus (NIG)..with a gap of over 90 days now before leaving and returning they are threatening to put the costs up again..been the most difficult aspect of planing this trip..car insurance.

rowlo

Message Posted:
27/10/2009 23:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 17 in Discussion

theyre only making money , you probably wont be covered for anything , if you have a serious accident in the north with a car hired in the south , you are liable for all damages plus recovery costs , ie , you owe the rental company a new car , no rental company in the south will allow you to take their cars north , you can rent and not say you are going north as i have done but if anything happens the above applies , best to rent in the north , but same applies most wont let you go south good luck , be careful .

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.