North Cyprus Tourist Board - I need to heat my villa in the cold winter evenings
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > I need to heat my villa in the cold winter evenings

I need to heat my villa in the cold winter evenings

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» North Cyprus Property Rental Guide

Calmperson

Message Posted:
28/09/2009 18:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 31 in Discussion

I have just bought my villa which does not currently have central heating or double glazing so am looking at buying some potable gas heaters. Am I better to buy these in the UK or in Cyprus? Also is it easy to get the gas, Calor gas or the like - I have noticed that most heaters use Butane and not propene. Any advice welcomed.

negativenick

Message Posted:
28/09/2009 19:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 31 in Discussion

personally i wouldn't use those portable gas heaters, as they don't generate a pleasant heat....

You can get a traditional electric "bar" fire, like we used to have when we were kids (not that halogen rubbish by the way).

They are not too expensive to run and you don't get nasty fumes off them.....

orangekazzie

Message Posted:
28/09/2009 19:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 31 in Discussion

Calmperson, the gas containers/bottles which fit into the portable gas heaters are easily available. They do tend to dry the air though and make you drowsy.

Karen

Oilman

Message Posted:
28/09/2009 19:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 31 in Discussion

Fit a log burner. Well worth the investment.

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
28/09/2009 19:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 31 in Discussion

The old fashion ways are always the best.Been out picking some horse manoure today.Getting ready for COLD WINTER DAYS,NEIGHBOURS WOULD BE COMPLAINING AGAIN,but thats the whole point.

negativenick

Message Posted:
28/09/2009 20:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 31 in Discussion

mess 1 - you won't be a calm person when you are shivvering yer nuts off in the depths of winter and wishing you'd listened to your old "Uncle" Nick....

everon

Message Posted:
28/09/2009 20:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 31 in Discussion

electric blanket!!!! mmmmmmm heaven, if the beds warm, you will be warm x

pilgrim

Message Posted:
28/09/2009 21:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 31 in Discussion

Oil filled rads and fan heater , close doors , heat one room, wear socks in bed!

everon

Message Posted:
28/09/2009 22:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 31 in Discussion

rugs everywhere to absorb the damp, thicker curtains and nice cosy slippers and a cuddly dressing gown x

dizzycows

Message Posted:
28/09/2009 22:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 31 in Discussion

Crikey, is it that cold? makes it sound like Siberia! ....

negativenick

Message Posted:
28/09/2009 22:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 31 in Discussion

mess 10 - if you've not lived here in the winter you won't believe how cold it gets inside the average property, that's why it's essential to plan ahead so you'll be as warm as toast..

i'd also be thinking about sorting some decent tele out for all those cold winter nights ahead....

everon

Message Posted:
28/09/2009 22:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 31 in Discussion

the properties here are not geared up for the damp, tiled floors etc, our first winter here came as a shock, but now we are prepared and have passed on our experiences to all our friends

Pipie

Message Posted:
28/09/2009 23:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 31 in Discussion

We have an apartment, dual aircons on heat we find no problem at all , as a back up we have mobile gas heater just in case we have power cuts, heard that the new parafin heaters give off no smell at all and are quite powerful and cheap to run, def have electric blankets, and bathroom warm air heaters , we have portable electric airers for warming clothes cause we are wimps, but in all honesty if we move to a villa we def would have a log burner.Hpe this helps .

newlad

Message Posted:
28/09/2009 23:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 31 in Discussion

Pipie,

Sweating cobs here in Hull and i only have my shreddies on,

Paul.

Pipie

Message Posted:
28/09/2009 23:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 31 in Discussion

Lol newlad !!!

bachelibelly

Message Posted:
29/09/2009 00:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 31 in Discussion

Most buildings are designed to keep the cold in and the warm out ,which is fine in summer ,but a little chilly in winter ,especially for Expat softies used to central heating, thermals and relatively mild UK winters !!!

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
29/09/2009 08:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 31 in Discussion

Unless you have a cheap supply of wood and don't mind the work of dunging it out, a log burner is OK - probably more expensive to buy and install than you can imagine.

Gas cylinders don't last five minutes on 3 bars - 1 cyl = 25tl.

Central heating in Cyprus - forget it and the hassles (too numerous to mention!) that go with it.

We use kerosene (paraffin in UK?) heaters - have a small one and a larger one, depending on how cold.

We fill and light them outside, because they all smell when first lit - wait 4 minutes with it burning outside, then carry indoors. Either heater will heat our whole 4 bdrm house - brilliant!

TOYOSET is the BEST make to buy - beware of Chinese units, or copies.

Much cheaper to buy in the South - best shop is on the left side, just after the roundabout with the 'quad-bikes'.

The TC's call kerosene/paraffin 'Lamp-su' - buy two plastic, or tin 'Jerry' cans, or equivalent size, and a squeeze pump and you're all set!

stockiefan

Message Posted:
29/09/2009 09:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 31 in Discussion

We invested in a log burner last year, best money we ever spent! Ok it cost 900 sterling not cheap but, when its on we had to open the windows it got so hot. I realise they are all different but this is huge but does not burn logs so quickly, and we have a huge lounge.

joandjelly

Message Posted:
29/09/2009 09:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 31 in Discussion

Log burner a must in a villa in my opinion. Ours was about £850 but like stockiefan it is huge. Back up with paraffin heater which gives off much more heat than the gas fires and doesn't smell. We buy the paraffin from the petrol station. It's in the blue pump (can't remember what it's called).

If you do have gas or paraffin you will need to have some ventilation because they produce condensation.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
29/09/2009 09:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 31 in Discussion

The only downside to kerosene/paraffin is if you spill it - either on hands, clothes or floor - just try not to.

The 'upside' is: It's by far the most economical, clean, efficient and odourless form of heating for TRNC - also, unlike propane/butane, it won't cause black mould to form on walls where they join the ceiling.

You can also boil a kettle or cook with a saucepan on top of the unit - so, try a fondue!

The reason not many Brits use it is simply because they don't know the advantages and weren't game to try it before investing in the alternatives, or they think of the old, 'stinky' Valor paraffin heaters of the 50's - 60's!

Try using your aircon for heating and see what sort of a bill you get from Kibtek!

Log burner: can you imagine the menagerie of insects and creepy-crawlies that abound in a log basket?

Whoever tells you that electric heaters are the biz either hasn't run one for a whole winter, or must be very 'well-heeled' to be able to afford to do so.

Earlybird

Message Posted:
29/09/2009 09:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 31 in Discussion

Definitely a log burner and electric blanket. We have tried all the others, including an open fire and the log burner has to be the thing that keeps the house the warmest. OK, fairly expensive to instal but well worth it to come home to a warm house.

Smity

Message Posted:
29/09/2009 14:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 31 in Discussion

Msg 3

A trick to stop the air drying out is to put a gat resistant jug with water on the floor by the fire this will evaproate and help. the drousey ness is possibly caused by the Carbon Monoxide you should alway make sure you have a good cerculation of air. Any gas man made or natural will produce Carbon Monoxide as a bi product get a detector you would in the UK so pleasae do it here.

roisin

Message Posted:
29/09/2009 14:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 31 in Discussion

Does anyone know if u can use the parrafin heaters in bedrooms. I know u can't use the gas ones. Where can u buy parrafin heaters over here(not south as i don't have access to a car !)

kibsolar

Message Posted:
29/09/2009 15:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 31 in Discussion

re message 16, bachelibelly: "Most buildings are designed to keep the cold in and the warm out ,which is fine in summer ,but a little chilly in winter ,especially for Expat softies used to central heating, thermals and relatively mild UK winters !!!"

MOST buildings are designed to be cheap and to be sold to a maximum profit. In TRNC there is nearly none design like hot outside, cold inside.. This is a dream. If you are able to cool a house in summer - and keep it cool, then you should be able to heat your house in winter, and keep it warm..

Rather than just open windows in summer and because of the winds / thermic you cool your house.. This has nothing to do with design, it is natural behaviour of hot air to colder air and the energy of wind movement, the evaporation of sweet, which makes you feel cool..

Sorry to say this..

Regards, Henrik

http://kibsolar.com/content/eng/eg2006.html

jacktheladett

Message Posted:
29/09/2009 17:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 31 in Discussion

Roisin, there is a small shop in the north, in Lefkosa. They stock Zibro, very good brand, we bought one last year (fitted, outside flue, no mess, no smells) best thing we've done heating-wise, it really kicks out the heat. Owner (mehmet, I think) speaks good english.

There was a thread on this last year with all the details, I'm sure you'll find it on a search.

scruff

Message Posted:
29/09/2009 17:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 31 in Discussion

Message 19.

Paraffin here is called Gaz Yagi. It's sold at the petrol stations but not all of them stock it. It's the same price per litre as diesel.

We have 5 different Paraffin heaters. 2 small round cheapies bought at Lemar around 2004. 2 flat back square heaters & finally a large Toyoset which we use when it's really cold. We do use the halogen electric heaters too. We sold the 2 gas heaters that we had. They were a waste of time & money.

AlexF065

Message Posted:
29/09/2009 17:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 31 in Discussion

Gas heaters using LPG are ok but will give off a smell and also do cause condensation

depending on how much you wish to spend a wood bunner may be the more cost effective long term solution to your problems

Short term ie this year and then save for a wood burner the parafin heaters fiiled and light out side sound best.

bachelibelly

Message Posted:
29/09/2009 18:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 31 in Discussion

Kibsolar, didnt really mean villa's purposely designed to stay cool more a side product of the "cheap design technique "that you refer to ie. no double glazing, no loft insulation , no cavity wall insulation, rendered walls and tiled floors throughout giving a cooler effect in winter and hopefully in winter,regds.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
29/09/2009 19:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 31 in Discussion

Take note that the more people who buy log burners, the more scarce wood becomes; therefore the more expensive every year for smaller and smaller loads!

Buying a log burner is one thing - installation costs + flue may cost as much as the unit, maybe even more!

Also, log burners don't clean themselves!

Very few chimneys in all Cyprus are designed or built properly - ask a Cypriot what 'Fire bricks or Fire cement' is and they haven't a clue, but of course they'll tell you that their fireplaces are fine. Light a fire in one and the smoke will come pouring back into the room and there'll be all sorts of cracking and splitting noises and a shower of 'brick bits' and chunks of cement cascading down into the grate - even the grates aren't designed properly for draught. Fireplaces in Cyprus are just for show, unless you can find someone with integrity and enough knowledge to do the job properly - hen's teeth are scarce!

AlexF065

Message Posted:
29/09/2009 19:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 31 in Discussion

Hi

If it were to be worth my while I could install a woodburner and twin was flue needed to run the thing properly

but there would have to be 5-6 that wanted installing

scoobydoo

Message Posted:
29/09/2009 20:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 31 in Discussion

Depending on your property, fit doors to each room it makes a huge difference to keeping a property warm also we have had loft insulation fitted and this also made a serious difference both in the summer and the winters.

Personally I hate those portable gas heaters, the smell they give off is terrible and they do give you headaches, you need to ensure you have a window open slightly for air circulation.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.