North Cyprus Tourist Board - Driving from England to TRNC
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Driving from England to TRNC

Driving from England to TRNC

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Driving Directions from Ercan Airport to Kyrenia

» Driving Directions from Larnaca Airport to Kyrenia

» North Cyprus Map

» Read about Orams Case Land Dispute Judgement

» North Cyprus Title Deeds

» Is It Safe to Buy in Northern Cyprus?

SunloverK

Message Posted:
22/10/2009 22:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 17 in Discussion

As promised here are some notes from my recent drive from England to Cyprus - If you're thinking of driving over here I hope you find this helpful....

Route: France, Switzerland, Italy, ferry from Bari to Igoumenitsa (11hrs £150 incl own cabin), Greece, Turkey, ferry from Tasucu to Girne (7hr £120). These were all safe countries to drive through (safer than Eastern Europe route) and very good motorways all the way (except south Turkey). You could do the drive in 5 days but we took 2 weeks and saw some great places along the way... Italian lakes, Venice, Abruzzo wine region, Thassos, Istanbul, Capaddocia

Number 1 tip: Don't attempt it without a TomTom - essential for planning the most efficient route, finding hotels, petrol stations, McDonalds for free wifi, and finding your way out of any town back to the motorway

Road tolls came to about £150

Fuel £250 (diesel)

Entering Switzerland you'll need to pay €30 road tax - but they're very friendly and this only took a minute.

/

SunloverK

Message Posted:
22/10/2009 22:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 17 in Discussion

Crossing from Greece into Turkey:

We couldn't cross at Ipsala as their computers were down so drove 1.5hr to the Edirne crossing. You have to buy car insurance for Turkey but couldn't do this at the border so had to leave our car there and get taxi into nearest town to buy it, which was a hassle. Car insurance €32. We also had to get a visa at the border €15pp (must be Euro notes!). Total 2hrs at border

Greek & Turkey ferries - tips:

Stock up with food & drink

Allow for delays (1.5hr delayed departure on both ferries)

They didn't let us sleep in the car on the Tasucu ferry - they made us travel on a different ferry. Thankfully our car arrived at Girne same time as us. But Tasucu never again! 2hrs of waiting in different queues at port followed by 8.5hrs in a rubbish seat watching the odd cockroach running over other sleepers, and then another 2hrs at Girne before we were driving away. If I really had to take a ferry again from Turkey to Cyprus I might try Mersin to Fama

SunloverK

Message Posted:
22/10/2009 22:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 17 in Discussion

Final tips: Watch out for dangerous drivers near Milan and Istanbul! And buy some bug remover before you leave England to clean up your paintwork when you arrive here.

All in all.... it was a brilliant trip. And yes I'd do it all again if I had a chance

I've tried to keep it fairly concise! but if you want any more info please feel free to ask...

negativenick

Message Posted:
22/10/2009 23:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 17 in Discussion

who the hell would want to drive all that way when you can fly ???

Isabella

Message Posted:
22/10/2009 23:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 17 in Discussion

Thank you for providing some very useful/helpful information for anyone thinking of bringing their car to Northern Cyprus.

If anyone is planning a long holiday it would be nice to combine say 2 weeks visiting the countries you mentioned with a long break in Northern Cyprus. If you bring your own car there will be no need to hire one.

Corbo

Message Posted:
22/10/2009 23:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 17 in Discussion

Good advice SunloverK..I'm doing the trip soon but taking the ferry from Brindisi to Igoumentisa. Bit surprised you could not get insurance at the Turkish border. I'll get the Tasucu ferry but will be prepared for the hassle. I'll get the West coastal road through Turkey and avoid Istanbul by getting a very short ferry ride from Eceabat to Canakkale.

doddies

Message Posted:
23/10/2009 00:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 17 in Discussion

Corbo, did the same route you are taking six years ago. First night stopover Piacenza, Italy. Second night on ferry. Third night Canakkale. Final night on ferry Tasucu-Girne. Good luck.

Corbo

Message Posted:
23/10/2009 10:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 17 in Discussion

Thanks doddies..will take it over 8 days or so and I may check this Mersin to Fama ferry after hearing all the horrour stories..but would it be any better??

Stewart

Message Posted:
23/10/2009 10:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 17 in Discussion

great info..many thanks

SunloverK

Message Posted:
23/10/2009 19:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 17 in Discussion

a word of warning about bringing a UK car here.... you can only bring it in if you've been here less than 6 months (180 days) in the last year. They check your giris/cikis at the customs booth at the arrival port (this is a printout from the police station showing your arrrival/departure dates in the last year. Once they're satisfied with your giris/cikis, passport, log book, cyprus insurance (faxed copy will do), and have a look around your car they'll issue a paper that lets you keep the car here for a month. This can be extended for up to 1 year at Lefkosa customs. We've just done the extension which was ok, but they did also need to see car tax at Lefkosa. They were happy with either UK or Cyprus car tax - and they extended it up to the expiry date of our uk car tax. If you bring a car less than 3 years old you can pay the massive duty and import it here, otherwise you can only keep it a year, assuming you fit the criteria above.

Corbo

Message Posted:
23/10/2009 19:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 17 in Discussion

I'm bringing my car over for 5 months or so..but no longer than 6 months..Car Tax runs out at the end of March. Maybe I can get another 6 months disc posted to me after buying it on line..plan to drive back early April 2010..but a lot can happen before then.

SunloverK

Message Posted:
24/10/2009 21:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 17 in Discussion

Corbo - that should be ok to bring it over then. I'd recommend that when your UK tax runs out go and get Cyprus car tax - they do 3 months cover. The office for this is in Girne - go past Cafe Dukkan (with cafe on your left), take 2nd left, and the office is halfway down on your left.

Also, in Girne port some delays were cos there were no instructions, so for anyone arriving on ferry from Tasucu with a car: 1) get passport stamped in main arrivals hall. 2) make sure you have passport, car log book, cyprus car insurance, giris/cikis from police (we got this before we left cyprus before but otherwise you should be able to get it at the police station in the port). 3) go outside to Customs booth for a piece of paper. 4) take paper into Customs building for Mr Memet to sign. 5) take all papers back into main arrivals hall where there'll now be a long queue to get your release paper. 6) Drive car towards exit gate for Customs to check it over. Done! Hope this make it easier for u.

HildySmith

Message Posted:
24/10/2009 23:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 17 in Discussion

Thanks for that some great info. We are driving over in January by almost the same route (missing out Switzerland). We are bringing a dog with us - any tips on travelling on the ferries with a dog.

SunloverK

Message Posted:
25/10/2009 11:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 17 in Discussion

I don't remember seeing anyone with a dog on the ferries - best to check directly with the ferry company.

Another thing about the Tasucu ferry... you can buy ticket online (€169 for car +2 people) but it was cheaper at the port (270TL). The ticket office is at the main ferry harbour which is at the west end of town (it's a travel agent-type shop halfway down the parade of shops in the harbour). Then go back up to the main road and drive 2km east to the Cyprus ferry port which is just outside the town - just when you think you must have missed it you'll see a little sign on the right. They ask you to be at the Cyprus ferry port 3hrs before the ferry i.e. 9pm (as their customs office shuts well before the ferry leaves - I'm not sure what time they shut, but we got there at 9 to be safe.). There's no food/drink there so we had dinner at the main harbour first, where there are plenty of restaurants.

MiketheBike

Message Posted:
25/10/2009 18:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 17 in Discussion

We did the trip last year and took the coastal route through Turkey, yes you can buy insurance at the border if you come that way. It was a great experience and yes we would do it again if customs in Nicosia would allow us to - another long story!

Mike

Corbo

Message Posted:
28/10/2009 18:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 17 in Discussion

Thanks again SunloverK for all tips. My journey to commence soon. Car insurance stuff has been a hassle..will ask advice later on about geting insured for the return leg. Have to cancel UK car insurance after arrival..at vast expense but had enough chasing my tail for now.

SunloverK

Message Posted:
29/10/2009 19:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 17 in Discussion

Hi Corbo. We had to do the same with car insurance - cancelled UK insurance once we got here (could have done it once we got into Turkey as UK policies don't cover there). For the insurance here we used Credit West - it was very quick and easy - we gave them details over the phone and they faxed a covernote through to my hotel in Turkey (this is Third Party only) and then sorted out full cover and payment when we got here. Their number is 0392-882-4208 ask for Naci - very helpful London Cyp.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.