North Cyprus Tourist Board - Driving on a Turkish License in the UK
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Driving on a Turkish License in the UK

Driving on a Turkish License in the UK

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Driving Directions from Ercan Airport to Kyrenia

» Driving Directions from Larnaca Airport to Kyrenia

» North Cyprus Map

superted

Message Posted:
23/10/2009 10:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

Hi All

Does anyone know if a Turkish driving license is valid in the UK?

I passed my test out here and have never driven in the UK but have been told it is valid for 1 month, is this true?

I can't quite see it myself as I was only ever shown how to do a 3 point turn and left/right reverse from 1 road to another. I was never even shown how to do an emergency stop. My test was only 13 mintues after 6ish hours of lessons.

I am hoping to go back to UK next year and looking at flights now, when I suddenly realised my license may not be valid.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

SuperTed

ianwfs

Message Posted:
23/10/2009 11:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

I assume you mean a TRNC licence, but even if Turkish, the rule is the same. If you are resident in the UK, you can use your TRNC licence for up to 12 months, by which time you must have passed your UK driving test. Otherwise after 12 months it can only be used as a provisional licence.

If you're not normally resident in the UK, the licence is is valid for 12 months, the date starting from your last date of entry to the UK. The 12 months is not cumulative.

In other words, if you live in Cyprus, and don't live in the UK for more than 12 months at a time, you need never take a UK driving test. If you live in the UK, the 12 month starts from the date of your move to the UK.

superted

Message Posted:
23/10/2009 12:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

Hi inawfs

Thanks for the info.

Am I correct in reading that if I am not resident in the UK, which I am not, then my license will not be valid over there after 12 months of initially receiving my license. My license was issued on the 11th May this year so if that is the case then I cannot use it in the UK after the 10th May next year?

SuperTed

ianwfs

Message Posted:
23/10/2009 14:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

Superted.

Firstly, your licence will not be valid to use in the UK after its expiry date.

The 12 months validity is based on the date of entry to the UK, not the date of issue of the licence.

So if you travel to the UK on the first of December 2009, you can use it till the 30th November 2010 (Unless it runs out during that period).

If you leave the UK during that 12 month period, your 12 months starts all over again when you next enter the UK.

superted

Message Posted:
23/10/2009 14:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

ianwfs

Many thanks for all your help.

It is greatly appreciated.

SuperTed

ladylittle

Message Posted:
23/10/2009 18:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

Not going on a permanent basis I hope superted??? xx

TimothyCadman

Message Posted:
23/10/2009 18:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

Just a small point to add. If you buy a UK car to use in the UK your Insurance will be considerably more and most of the big names will not even entertain giving you a quote without a full or provisonal licence. You will have little to no trouble with car hire companies but you may be asked for a higher excess than those with a UK/EU licence.

JoanneM

Message Posted:
23/10/2009 18:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

I thought you could only use a Turkish licence in UK if you were not a British citizen. If you're British you have to have a UK licence, can't drive legally on a Turkish/TRNC licence. Is this not right?

TimothyCadman

Message Posted:
23/10/2009 21:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

JoanneM,

I am a British Citizen and back in 1981 I passed my driving test in the USA. On returning to the UK I was allowed to own and drive a car with the correct insurance. The insurance being the key to being totally legal. I had 12 months to apply for my provisional licence and past my test, which I did. My insurance reduced dramatically.

The same is true for most countries.

Check out the following for more information:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/MotoringDecisionTrees/HowToImportorExportaVehicle/exchange_driving_licence.dsb

JoanneM

Message Posted:
23/10/2009 21:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

Thanks for clarifying that

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.