North Cyprus Tourist Board - driving a car to TRNC
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > driving a car to TRNC

driving a car to TRNC

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Driving Directions from Ercan Airport to Kyrenia

» Driving Directions from Larnaca Airport to Kyrenia

» North Cyprus Map

mikeythespark

Message Posted:
29/11/2009 12:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 9 in Discussion

Hi Everyone, this is my first posting on the site. My wife and I have had a home in Catalkoy for 5 years and we are finally moving out permanately early next year. Can anyone tell me pls, if we drive our car into TRNC, how long we can keep it on the Island? It is more than 3 yrs old so I don't think I can import it and pay the duty. Would appreciate anyones help on the matter. Thanks

cyprusjoker

Message Posted:
29/11/2009 12:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 9 in Discussion

Heres the best advice you gonna get, sell you car in uk and buy one here..

keithcaley

Message Posted:
29/11/2009 13:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 9 in Discussion

If you have owned the car from new, you will still be able to import it.

Not sure of the current state of play re length of stay, people report that Customs are playing Silly Buggers (again!) - best to check with them direct.

Incidentally, the advice given in msg 2 is really good, solid advice! - You'll remember this post if you ignore it !

mikeythespark

Message Posted:
30/11/2009 10:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 9 in Discussion

Thanks guys,

I did import a car a couple of years ago, and then when we thought our permanent move would be delayed sold it for what the import tax had been quoted at, but this time I want to drive the car over and after the year drive it back to UK. That way I can stock up on items we would usually shove in or case when we visit. What I was interested in is if I can drive the car on UK tax and insurance for that year and if I wanted to do a round trip and drive it back again fro another year would I be allowed. It is my wifes car, a lovely Mercedes convertable and she has had it, not from new unfortunately, but fro an ex demo, mores the pity.

newlad

Message Posted:
30/11/2009 10:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 9 in Discussion

Mikey,

Buy a car in trnc less hassle matey,

Paul.

keithcaley

Message Posted:
30/11/2009 16:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 9 in Discussion

Mike,

The rule 'USED TO BE' that you could dtive it on it's UK tax disc for the length of time yt remained in force - so that if you taxed it just before you set off, you would have near enough a full year.

I also know people who applied for, and got, extensions, so that the car could remain a while longer, although I think that they had to pay the local road tax.

Local insurance HAS to be paid from day one, as no insurance company anywhere else recognises TRNC

BUT - as I said previously, they do mess about and change the rules, so you really do need to check with Customs etc FIRST!

As Newlad said, it's a lot less hassle buying a car here - although prices are ridiculously high - and if it wasn't for the fact that you're wanting to bring stuff over, I would have said "Don't even consider it!"

One final point - you are allowed ONE shipment of USED household goods/possessions free of TAX - you're quite likely to get soaked by Customs any other way, so again, check first!

FatgrumpyB

Message Posted:
30/11/2009 18:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 9 in Discussion

I did exactly what you are proposing,I brought my car over and kept it here for 12 months and then drove back to the UK. Your insurance will cover you till you reach Cyprus providing you get a green card,once you arrive in Cyprus you have to take out local insurance

wanderer

Message Posted:
30/11/2009 19:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 9 in Discussion

If you have bought a car in before they may want you to pay duty on it immediately as them in Lefkosa customs office take your log book with you .

There was a previous on this topic where a guy was refused import on a vintage motor cycle and had to take it back

mikeythespark

Message Posted:
02/12/2009 10:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 9 in Discussion

Thanks guys for your advise. i do intend to buy a car once settled, but though for the short term driving my car over as a touring car may have helped me out.

Will try and contact London TRNC Embassey and see what their latest advise is!!

Next question will be about the dog and his visa requirements!!!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.