North Cyprus Tourist Board - [UNFICYP] Turkey votes against extention of UN Cyprus force
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > [UNFICYP] Turkey votes against extention of UN Cyprus force

[UNFICYP] Turkey votes against extention of UN Cyprus force

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Cyprus History

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
16/12/2009 11:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 16 in Discussion

QUOTE: "Turkey votes against extention of UN Cyprus force. Turkey voted against the resolution, whereas the other 14 members voted for the resolution." (END OF QUOTE)

Source and more: | http://is.gd/5pIXA |

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
16/12/2009 11:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 16 in Discussion

I don't know if Turkey always votes against UN extensions, but it makes sense.

It says two things:

1. You have nothing to fear from us so you don't need the UN.

2. We have nothing to fear from GCs so we don't need the UN.

Rottolover

Message Posted:
16/12/2009 12:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 16 in Discussion

"UNFICYP was set up in 1964 to prevent recurrence of fighting between the Greek Cypriot and Turkish Cypriot communities and to contribute to the maintenance and restoration of law and order."

Apart from the wrong order of description (it should be 'restoration and maintenance'), one would think that the 'restoration' phase was long past, and the 'maintenance' phase had been quite competently managed by the Turkish troops over the past 35 years or so.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
17/12/2009 10:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 16 in Discussion

Am *I* the only one to see the ironic 'humour' in this vote by TR ?

I mean - taking into account the UN Sec Council resolutions of 1974 ( asking all armed personnel - not from the island / SBAs [meaning Greek and Turkish troops] to cease fighting, respect the sovereignty of the RoC and leave the island....) ;)

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
17/12/2009 10:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 16 in Discussion

mmmmmmm,

OK. Why do you think the UN thinks it needs to extend the mandate? Is there a genuine risk of a "recurrence of fighting between the Greek Cypriot and Turkish Cypriot communities"? Do you think there is a risk of fighting between TR/TRNC army and RoCNG?

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
17/12/2009 11:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 16 in Discussion

Maybe I need a history lesson here, so I have two questions to ask.

If the UNFICYP was set up in 1964 to 'keep the peace' then what were they doing in the ten years before the real peace keeping force arrived on the island?

Who actually controls the 'buffer zone'?

AJ

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
17/12/2009 14:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 16 in Discussion

Dear 'TRNC'

You need to check out the resolution and you'll get the answer.. Turkey voted to stop the UN presence and is specifically mentioned as continuing to transgress agreements in place - e.g 'nicking' even more 'rump' RoC territory at Strovilia ( sorry, I forget the TR name.. )

http://www0.un.org/News/Press/docs/2009/sc9815.doc.htm

see point 8

While there are troops that should not BE on the island at all.. YEP.. the UN need to remain... FOURTEEN to ONE.. nations feel the same..

While there is a UN presence - no I don't feel there is a risk of full scale fighting breaking out, but there have been flash points..

re msg 6 AJ - not so much a history lesson a a refresher.. ! .. You'll remember that both 'mother countries' agreed to the UN mandate and then 'allowed' gun running and political / physical interference.

The Buffer zone is SUPPOSED to be controlled by the UN.. but some parts are 'occupied' by the army of a third nation..Varosha/ Marash??!!

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
17/12/2009 14:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 16 in Discussion

Message 7:

' re msg 6 AJ - not so much a history lesson a a refresher.. ! .. You'll remember that both 'mother countries' agreed to the UN mandate and then 'allowed' gun running and political / physical interference.'

Fine, but what did the UN do to stop it?

'The Buffer zone is SUPPOSED to be controlled by the UN.. but some parts are 'occupied' by the army of a third nation..Varosha/ Marash??!!'

So how did that situation arise?

The UN are there just to observe and that is all they will ever do as events that happened in August 1996 prove.

So why are they required?

AJ

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
17/12/2009 18:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 16 in Discussion

So why are they required?

No answers?

MUSIN M

Message Posted:
17/12/2009 18:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 16 in Discussion

aj

can i answer your question ,they aren,t as you so correctly say ,they are observers .

even when there have been flash points ,all they did was observe ,as in many conflicts

even when they themselves have been attacked ,they did not respond .

maybe mmmmm is privet to something we are not.

musin

long live the kktc

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
18/12/2009 00:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 16 in Discussion

May be and just may be,what Turkey meant:

You've done nothing for this island or its people in all this years,you might as well not be here!!!??

I cant help it ,but England also springs to my mind for that matter.

littlejohn

Message Posted:
18/12/2009 02:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 16 in Discussion

UNFICYP are toothless and useless !!

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
18/12/2009 06:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 16 in Discussion

To those who would say the UN are 'observers' 'toothless', 'useless', etc.

You seem to want to overlook that many players deliberately undermined the UN - importing guns, munitions, planning coups, etc

If you STILL *think* they do nought, today..

http://www.unficyp.org/nqcontent.cfm?a_id=1586

Again, FOURTEEN to ONE.. nations don't seem to think like you..

Rottolover

Message Posted:
18/12/2009 09:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 16 in Discussion

Hi sixems,

You say that "while there are troops that should not BE on the island at all...YEP...the UN need to remain", which to me implies that you think the presence of the UN troops is all that is preventing the Turkish troops from re-commencing hostilities and taking the Greek and GC troops apart again. What candy floss...

"For nearly 45 years, since its inception following the outbreak of inter-communal violence in 1963, UNFICYP has worked to prevent a recurrence of fighting and contribute to the maintenance and restoration of law and order and a return to normal conditions." Gee, so it's really the UN we have to thank for 35 years of hard-fought peace, and its continuation....

And "If you STILL think (I don't understand the asterisks) they do nought, today.."...I guess I had it wrong too. I see from the link you supplied that they actually do quite a lot...patrol empty zones, carry cases of tomatoes and paint yellow cars, for example.

Rottolover

Message Posted:
18/12/2009 10:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 16 in Discussion

Hi again sixems,

Been thinking about your repeated claim that "FOURTEEN to ONE..nations don't seem to think like you.."

I wouldn't be too quick to hang my hat on that statistic if I were you. Do you really think it's politically significant? I mean, you have 14 of the members of a UN council voting on the continued deployment of a UN army of troops and equipment? Of course you do. It's certainly humorous, although not ironic, that Turkey decided to vote against the tide, but really what did anyone expect would be the outcome of such a vote? To can the force? If they did that, as sensible as it would be, it would mean that the god-knows-how-many troops and the god-knows-how-much equipment would have to be re-deployed somewhere else. And that would be massively expensive and a logistical nightmare. Where would they go? You can't sack them, and they've got to continue to be paid...

Of course the Council voted to keep UNFICYP going...they are all bureaucrats...they have to.

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
18/12/2009 16:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 16 in Discussion

Mark

I refer you to a previous posting of mine.

http://www.cyprus44.com/forums/23262.asp

AJ

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.